Is this right?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Marci07, May 28, 2009.

1. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

May 28, 2009

A friend of mine, who is an assistant principal, insisted that I should apply for a position at a new middle school. At first I told him that I was happy where I was and said no.

Later, after finding out about some changes my school is going to go through in a year, I decided to check the new middle school out and I sent my resume to the new school.

I went for an interview and a day later the principal at the new school e-mailed my current principal telling her that she was going to offer me a position. I hadn't even told anything to my current principal about this!!!

Later, the new principal called me, not to offer me the job, but to make sure that I had spoken with my current principal about wanting to leave. Of course I had to speak with her after she sent her an e-mail!! Needless to say, she didn't offer me the job and now my current principal knows that I interviewed for a job. I feel I was put in a very weird position. Is this right? What if I get fired and end up with no job offer?

3. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

May 28, 2009

Well first of all, your current P should be a reference. If not, you screwed up. I have left more then one school by choice. All of my Ps knew I was looking for something better.

That said, I do not think you can be fired for looking for another job. However, I think you basically did yourself in with your current P by not letting them know.

4. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 28, 2009

Well, if you're going out on interviews, how could you not expect your current principal to be called? I'm sorry, but imo, you should have notified your current principal that you were considering switching schools.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 28, 2009

I agree with emma.

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 28, 2009

Well, it depends how serious the interview was. Usually if you are a top candidate, the interviewer will ask if they can contact your current principal. Many teachers do not want their principal randomly called regarding new teaching jobs.

And if it were just a preliminary interview, maybe the OP wasn't expecting references to be checked yet. But if it were serious, and you honestly wanted the job and thought that was the only part to it (so many are followed up with group interviews, or demos), then yeah, you should have told your principal, I guess. But I can totally see how you would have been caught off guard, especially if you weren't really trying to leave the school.

What I don't understand is why the new principal isn't going to offer you the job anymore. Why does telling your principal you are leaving have to be a requirement? Can't people put feelers out without committing to leaving or staying? Maybe you just want to see what else there is, what other salaries are like, etc. Contacting your principal should be the very last thing you do, in my opinion, if you are not totally sure you are going to leave. Can you call the new principal and explain the situation?

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 28, 2009

Its tough because I see both sides. When I considered leaving my current job a few years ago b/c of my P, I didn't tell her I was looking elsewhere. But I didn't get any interviews so she didn't need to know. That being said, I see what the others mean about being honest...your P would've found out at some point and now you are in a bad place with the P probably. GL!

8. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 29, 2009

You probably should have told your principal, just because many principals know each other and talk. But did you fill out an application where you had to check that you did not want them to contact your present employer? Maybe you can just explain that you were specifically asked to interview for the job by a friend and you just wanted to go on the interview to see what the school was about. Good luck!

9. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

May 29, 2009

I didn't fill out a form. I just sent my resume and I went for an interview. I wasn't even asked for references or asked if my principal could be contacted. I believe that it wasn't right to have sent an e-mail to my current principal because you never know how principals might react. To make matters worse, I wasn't even offered the job.

If I would have given the choice to notify my current principal in order to continue to be a top candidate for this new position, I would have chosen not to pursue the new position.

Anyway, my current principal was super nice about it and she was thrilled to find out that I decided to stay.

10. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

May 29, 2009

Everyone has the right to try to better their position. How would you know what another position at another school might be like if you didn't check it out? You stayed at your old position and they are happy to have you.Case closed. Don't dwell on it. It might cause you to imagine things in your relationship with your principal that are not really true.

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 29, 2009

I'm glad that your principal is okay with everything and it definitely doesn't seem right that they can check your employment history without asking you if it was okay.

12. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

May 29, 2009

I do not think it was appropriate for the new principal to contact your principal yet. After all that, and she didn't even offer you the job...

13. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

May 29, 2009

I definitely don't think it was appropriate for the new principal to contact your current employer.

This is making me somewhat nervous because I am in a similar situation. I interviewed at a new school and my current school is under the impression that I am returning next year. I did "verbally agree" to come back, but haven't signed a contract yet. I had submitted resumes everywhere in town, and finally got a call for an interview on Wednesday. I sure as __ hope that don't call my current principal or that would be really awkward. I can imagine her saying, "No, you've got it all wrong - she's coming back! There must be some mistake." (They love me at my current school and were excited to hear that I was returning. I had to give them an answer whether I was returning or not and I decided not to give a "no" with no other opportunity in hand. Of course right afterwards I received the phone call.

It's just hard. Everyone says your school should know if you're looking. I think that's easier said than done. I don't want them to know I'm looking if nothing is going to work out and I will have to be with them next year, then it's like they are sloppy seconds.

I have no problem telling them if I get an actual offer...

I digress.

But, I think you didn't do anything wrong and I am glad to hear your P was okay with the whole thing.

14. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

May 30, 2009

It is tough! You never know how your current boss might react when finding out that you are looking. I just thought that it was common knowledge in any job that when you are looking most of the times you don't let your current employer know until you have been offered a new position.

This is the first time I've seen a principal doing this. The principal who e-mailed my current principal is going to be a principal for the first time and she hasn't even worked as a teacher. I think that she acted based on her lack of experience and knowledge on how teachers can move from schools to schools.

Good luck!!

15. Windy City

Windy City Companion

May 30, 2009

This is a tricky situation. I completely understand not wanting to rock the boat at your current job. If you are up front about looking around and end up not getting a job, you will definitely feel awkward at work. If you are not up front, and end up accepting a job, you have now possibly burned a bridge.

Did you fill out an online application? Every single one that I have filled out has a box to check that says something along the lines of "May we contact your current employer?". If you did that and checked no, she was out of line. If you feel comfortable doing it, I would e-mail that principal and respectfully let her know that you had indicated that it was not okay to contact your principal. Think of it as you will be helping out future candidates from meeting the same fate.

It's probably a good thing... if this principal is a first year AND has never been in a classroom, I'm going to bet that she's going to run a very disorganized school for several years. I worked for one year under a principal who had never taught, and she constantly made decisions that did not make sense for classroom teachers. I will never do that again. My current principal taught for something like 15 years and has been a principal for about 7, and I think that we have the happiest and most well adjusted staff in the world. :)

16. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

May 30, 2009

Shouldn't it be a requirement that you have teaching experience? Seems crazy to be placing principals in administrative positions within schools when they themselves have never experienced what they are administrating (sp?)

17. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

May 30, 2009

Yeah, I in Texas it is a requirement. Now it's not a huge requirement - like 3 years teaching, but it's something. And, most of the admins I've ever know taught for a long time before becoming principals.

I had a boyfriend whose dad was asst superintendent in Maryland and never taught. I thought that was crazy.

18. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

May 30, 2009