Is this REALLY okay?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AdamnJakesMommy, Jan 18, 2017.

1. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jan 18, 2017

If you are making a power point (say with google slides) and you insert an image from bing (there is a feature in google slides which allows you to do this), is this technically "okay" or "wrong?" For example, if I am teaching a Cold War unit and want to show students the political map in order to demonstrate where the imaginary boundary was, is it okay to insert a map off of bing/google images?

I haven't really given it much thought--certainly we students did this when constructing lessons in grad school, teachers do this regularly--but since I am going for the national boards and my whole group instruction will likely have a power point being used, should any embedded images be removed? Technically, I could minimize the power point and simply type in "cold war map" and the map would pull up and I could achieve the same results as the power point--albeit in a disjointed, amateurish way.

3. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Jan 18, 2017

“Fair use” is the right to use portions of copyrighted materials without permission for purposes of education, commentary, or parody.

So, yes—it is considered "Fair use," because you are clearly using it only for educational purposes.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2017

National boards? I wouldn't do this.

Typically you'd be permitted to use a single chart or graph, but not more than one. There's also usually a spontaneity requirement to fair use, so preparing a PowerPoint more than a day or two before delivering it probably violates that test.

If it were me, I'd include a link to a website with the map you want to show. That's not a copyright violation.

otterpop and Backroads like this.
  5. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Jan 18, 2017

Yeah, there are limits on images per source. My mistake. Seems a bit extreme, though.

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 18, 2017

I suggest filtering by usage license when looking for images.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2017

Could you include a slide to cite resources you used?

MissCeliaB and otterpop like this.
  8. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jan 19, 2017

I went ahead and changed the images in my slide show to similar/nearly exact maps and pictures via Backroads' recommendation---I switched the google image results to filter usage rights by "free to use and share," I think that would cover me. ??

9. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jan 19, 2017

I may add in parenthesis (free to use and share) underneath the image to make it clear that I was conscientious of this while making the power point.

dgpiaffeteach likes this.
  10. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jan 19, 2017

I'd stick under each image "source: ---.com"

Backroads likes this.
  11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2017

Including citations is not always good enough and could be meaningless if you are charged with committing a copyright violation.

12. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 20, 2017

The question is regarding citations on images that were marked as usable for her situation.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2017

I'm just saying that not everything that shows up as "free to use and share" in search results is actually either of those things. You have to dig deeper. In many cases you need to search for an explicit fair use statement made by the creator of the product you want to use.

When it comes to anything that you're submitting for National Board Certification or any other official thing like that, I would take zero chances when it comes to potential copyright infringement. How terrible would it be for all your hard work to amount to nothing because it turns out that you were out of compliance with copyright laws (even if it was totally unintentional)?

Backroads likes this.
  14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 20, 2017

My understanding has been that a classroom presentation is considered academic publication. Material should be cited according to your discipline (MLA, APA, Chicago, etc.) So for grad school, if I used a picture or chart from the Internet in a presentation, I would cite those at the bottom of the slide in the correct format, and again on my works cited slide.

15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 20, 2017

If it's for your NB submission, I would look a little deeper and ensure that you are meeting copyright requirements for images and materials. I don't think they would disqualify you because of it, but as Caesar said, it's better not to take a chance.

However for everyday teaching, and if you're not going to be making money (selling through TpT) or share your materials to an audience wider than 2-3 teachers at your department, I don't think it really matters, and you don't have to stress about it at all.

No one is going to find out, you're just using it for educational purposes, and at worst, they'll just issue a cease and desist order, and you can make whatever changes you need to your materials to please your accuser and the issue would probably be over.

otterpop and Backroads like this.
  16. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jan 20, 2017

I didn't realize when the OP was talking how stringent the process could be. It seems that "better safe than sorry" is the best policy here.