Is this possible on the CSET?

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by ServingOthers, Mar 7, 2011.

1. ServingOthers

ServingOthers Rookie

Mar 7, 2011

I had a question I was hoping someone might be able to give me the answer on. A former classmate of mine, claims that if you were to correctly answer ALL 52 multiple choice questions on the science and math portion of the examination for the CSET, that you could still FAIL MISERABLY the constructed response part of the exam, and still hit the 220 mark threshold. Is that correct? Or would you still need some points from the constructed response portion to push you through passing gate.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 7, 2011

You'd have to ace the multiple choice - but, yes, it's mathematically possible. If I were a betting woman, though, I'd bet against it happening, simply because someone who absolutely can't do the constructed responses generally has some subject-matter difficulties that will interfere with getting every last multiple choice question correct.

4. Mark94544

Mark94544 Companion

Mar 7, 2011

What specific weight is assigned to the MC and CR sections of each subtest?

I don't know the answer, but the mere fact that you're asking the question suggests a very low confidence level (I assume about your writing skill), which seems likely to undermine your test-taking efforts.

From the CSET web site:
    Based on this, your real question is "what is the specific weight assigned to the multiple-choice and constructed-response sections of each subtest?" and you'd also need to know the required score to pass the subtest. (An obvious example: if the weighting is 50-50 and the passing score is higher than 50%, then the answer to your stated question would be "no.") It's possible that "scaling" might also impact the weighting.

Also, if you have a specific disability that might interfere with your ability to answer the constructed-response questions in the allotted time, you might check if there are special accommodations available.

5. ServingOthers

ServingOthers Rookie

Mar 7, 2011

^ With all due respect , stop trying to be Sigmund Freud and over analyze my question, Mark. I have passed the CBEST, CSET I and III, and I have passed the RICA, so obviously I am good enough in the writing department to acheive a passing score. The problem is I choke up, when I can't deduce the answer. That is why I have always done extremly well on the multiple choice portion of the exam. The problem with the constructed response part(my only problem) is that I fail to articulate how to teach and or explain the concepts adequately enough. I have acheived a 219 before with marks in the 4 stars for math multiple choice, and 3 stars for science section, so obviously I know the material in question, its just that I have a difficult time articulating math and science in writing form.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 7, 2011

70% multiple choice, 30% constructed response.

By the way, these are very common questions.