Is this ok for 2nd grade?

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by amyd, Jun 6, 2008.

1. amyd

amyd Rookie

Jun 6, 2008

Right now I'm a student and having to create a thematic unit. I'm going to do it on an author study on Jan Brett, and also about the genre folk tales. So my question is do you think that this author and her books would be too young for a second grade class? Or does this sound more like a 1st grade topic?
    Thanks for your input! :thanks:

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 6, 2008

I think folk tales would be appropriate. Jan Brett has a lot of really good stuff--just make sure you adapt your activities to be on a 2nd grade level.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2008

When I taught 2nd last year, it was in the curriculum that we do folk tales.

5. amyd

amyd Rookie

Jun 6, 2008

Thanks ladies! I am adapting the activitis to be more on the level, cause the ones I have found some are for the younger grades and that was when I was second guessing myself.

6. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jun 6, 2008

Jan brett

check her website. She use to send out a packet all about her. You could add an author study too.:)

7. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jun 6, 2008

I did a Jan Brett author study at the end of this school year with my 2nd graders. They absolutely loved it! We read several of her books and did reader response activities with them. We viewed her website (about Jan Brett link) and watched some of the "how to draw . . . " streaming videos. There are tons of resources on her site. At the end of the study, the students wrote letters which we mailed to her :).

8. amyd

amyd Rookie

Jun 8, 2008

Thank you for all the input! I think it's coming along pretty good.
    AngelM I'm glad to hear you used it in your class and they kids liked it, that makes me feel a little bit better!

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 8, 2008

Jan Brett's books are great for second grade! Her books are a little longer and more detailed than many picture books so they are perfect for second grade :)

10. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jun 8, 2008

If you do have a child who thinks they are too babyish or says something, just have a nice response ready. For example, if they say, "I read that book in kindergarten!" You might respond, "Oh, good! You'll be an expert!" or "Perfect! There is so much detail, that I often like to read through Jan Brett books many times. Since you've read it already, I know you'll be able to pick out some great details!"

11. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 8, 2008

My class is a 2nd grade identified gifted class and they loved Jan Brett. She's perfect for 2nd grade.

As stated above, her website is phenomenal.