Is this normal or should I speak up?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mrs.Giggles, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Sep 19, 2013

I'm a first year teacher, so I am still in the process of learning the many ropes of teaching.

There is a teacher in my school who works three days a week and she assists three of my students with reading. I truly value her help and appreciate what she is doing. However, whenever she drops off one of my students she ALWAYS stops me to quickly discuss what they did that day and concerns that she has.

I do appreciate the followup, but I'm really starting to strongly dislike the fact that she is ALWAYS interrupting my teaching to do this. I am still trying to teach my students to stay quiet when an adult comes in the room, but it is very difficult. I have even tried walking away from my door and teaching on the other end of my room, but she still comes towards me to talk. Today I was getting my kids ready for lunch, so I was very rushed with her. All I kept thinking was, "Can't you see I'm handing out lunch cards and demonstrating our line procedure?"

All of the other teachers who pull my students out email me with followup comments and/or questions. Is this normal to just have a teacher regularly interrupt you during teaching? I'm thinking of asking her if she could just shoot me a quick email, but I worry that may ruffle some feathers.

Thoughts?

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 19, 2013

Talk to her before/after school, and just say, "I really appreciate the feedback, it helps me understand what my students need. Unfortunately, because of the way our schedules line up, I don't think that right when they come back is the best time to touch base. Would it be possible to set up a regular meeting time, or for us to communicate by e-mail?"

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 19, 2013

Also, that is highly unusual. My guess is that it hasn't even occurred to her that you're teaching a whole class at the moment.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2013

Some people just don't think. Period. Is it normal? Well, I guess the real question is whether it's appropriate and respectful...and it's not. I am also interrupted regularly and I'm flatout freaking confused as to how another adult can't see I am in the middle of teaching.

I'm horrible at this sort of situation, so I would probably seem really rushed the next few times and see if she gets it. If not, then you'll have to say, "Oh, I have to get the students go finish this (or whatever) in the next couple minutes. Mind emailing e?"

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 19, 2013

I think you should just simply ask her to email you or catch you later is she can, because you're trying to teach, and it's not a convenient time to have a discussion. There's nothing wrong with that. She might not know what she's doing, she should, but obviously she doesn't.
    If this ruffles feathers, it's not your fault.

7. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2013

I am not so polite, I tend to edge away and ignore (at least not respond) if it interrupts a lesson or activity right in the middle.

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 20, 2013

I would suggest that you might talk to her and ask her if she could possibly start sending you an email about the student instead of stopping you in the middle of your class. You could mention that you would prefer documentation of what was done so you could add it to the student's file. That way you're not coming off as annoyed at her, but trying to suggest a more professional way of helping this child and documenting what has been done for your own records. :)

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2013

I second this advice.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 20, 2013

Her habit is really unprofessional and unacceptable. Let her know immediately that your class needs consistency during your lessons so you can't be interrupted.

11. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Sep 20, 2013

As someone said, certain people lack common sense and/or social setting skills. You will have to tell her and she will either be apologetic because she didn't realize she was doing it, or she will be a jerk because she thinks you're being a jerk. The crazy thing you need to get used to dealing with in education is that you will run into a lot of odd people and many many times they will be fellow teachers/staff.

12. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Sep 20, 2013

How about a notebook that she writes down her concerns/info from her time with the kids?

13. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Sep 21, 2013

Love this idea! And, then see if you can talk to her during planning.

14. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 21, 2013

This is a very delicate situation. It is like surgery. It must be done, but a wrong move and it can end up being worse.

I had a similar situation with a reading teacher like you are experiencing. I always knew when she was going to bring the students back. I would make sure I was really busy teaching students the time she came in. When she saw how busy I was, she was less likely to come and talk to me. Also, when she did, I listened but I only gave her eye contact for a short time, and then I would excuse myself to take care of a child who wasn't behaving exactly correctly (which will definitely happen if you talk to an adult for more than 30 seconds with a room full of children in the room). This worked for me.

You could be more assertive, but hurting this teacher's feelings is something better to avoid if you can.

15. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Sep 22, 2013

What about seeing if she could, like others said, send an e-mail or write it down in a notebook and if she insists on talking to you in person about it see if a specific time that works for both of you could be set up ..every week...every other week... etc.

16. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Sep 22, 2013

Thank you for all of the suggestions! Now I don't feel so bad for being annoyed. I think that I will definitely approach it this way as this does not come off annoying or condescending at all. I'm still trying to grow a backbone, so this approach is perfect for me!