Is this normal for teachers...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by GTB4GT, Mar 21, 2017.

1. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Mar 21, 2017

in a job search. Background...my spouse is getting transferred. I applied (on line) for a job that looked like it would be a great fit. Sent a nice cover letter as well. I got a response back indicating interest but saying they wanted to see my college transcript.

I was floored by this. I have had several jobs since graduating college many moons (3+ decades) ago. Most were not in the field of education but rather in my field of study.Most recently I have more than 5+ years in a classroom. In all my professional career, including my first job out of college, no one has ever asked me for a transcript. Although I can go back to my dear ol' alma mater and dredge one up somehow, I find the request unusual? amusing? perfunctory? After so many years in the rear view mirror, what value could my college transcript be to a potential employer? (Btw, I did not major in education nor in the fields in which I am certified to teach).Of course I will provide it but was curious what insight my colleagues could provide in this matter.

As always, thanks in advance for replies.

3. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Mar 21, 2017

That is a little odd to ask upfront. I have always had to provide transcripts later in the process - both to prove my certification and educational credentials.

yellowdaisies and 2ndTimeAround like this.
  4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 21, 2017

What grade / subject (if applicable) are you applying for? I could possibly imagine if it was a subject area, they might be curious of the education of someone within that area. Perhaps out of the norm (I'm not sure), but definitely understandable.

5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 21, 2017

I feel like I may have been required to do that for a job I applied for, but can't remember for sure.

I don't think it's normal but don't think it's super abnormal either.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 21, 2017

I've always had to provide a transcript. Most of the time they even want an official copy from the registrar's office.

I had to provide one for this last job move and I'd been teaching over twenty years at this point.

It's completely normal here.

2ndTimeAround and bella84 like this.
  7. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Mar 21, 2017

To geoteacher and mathmagic...I hold a professional teaching license and am certified to teach both physics and math. Doesn't the need to provide a transcript speak to a distrust of the state licensing process? "Well, we can see that our state has certified you to teach in these fields but we want to see for ourselves". It's doubly ironic in that the state required me to provide the transcripts themselves in the alternative licensing process. Triply ironic in that i have sought and acquired jobs that paid 5-8 X what this one will pay and no one ever asked for them (my transcripts). The interviewing process was usually enough to vett or disavow my credentials. I guess I would expect the same in this field. However, as I mentioned above, it is not a "draw a line in the sand" type of issue for me. More of an annoyance or petty nuisance.

"The disease which inflicts bureaucracy and which they usually die from is routine" - John Stuart Mill

8. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 21, 2017

One of our staff norms is "assume the best intentions". I'd go with that here, too. Perhaps they're trying to find the person with the best qualifications (not saying that a PhD in math vs. a B.S. in math means you're better to teach math, but more generically), or want another differentiator on top of the interview process...or need something to screen some out with. Lots of possibilities, but I doubt any are nefarious or out of mistrust.

9. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Mar 21, 2017

mathmagic, I really like that quote and usually apply it when dealing with individuals. But I am skeptical of any large organization. It has been my experience that things get done out of habit or routine rather than necessity...in other words, they request the transcripts because that is what has always been required. Once received, I fully expect that they will not be looked at. Besides, those records are over 30 years old. Nothing to hide (actually they are pretty good) but using them to make any assessment of my fit to the job would be analogous to denying a senior student placement in AP calculus because they made a B in second grade arithmetic during winter semester.

10. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 21, 2017

This has been the case in my experience, as well. Every teaching job I've ever applied for required that I upload transcripts when filling out the online application. I just consider it part of the teaching application process. I've never given it a second thought.

11. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Mar 22, 2017

I wouldn't read much into this. If the district is doing well enough to have the luxury of being selective, they may have a standing policy regarding college grades. My district had that some years ago; they would not hire anyone with less than a B in certain classes.

These days, my district is in financial ruin and known for runaway discipline problems. No one wants to come here—so the district is fairly hiring anyone they can. Our administrators are more interested in a pulse than college grades.

So don't read into it. Just go online and request a copy of the transcripts to be sent in.

12. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Mar 22, 2017

Hi. Some schools do ask for this. It's a pain to have to request an official transcript, for both grad and undergrad work, but evidently it is a necessary pain. It is part of the application process in my area. Best wishes!

13. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Mar 22, 2017

This is perfectly normal. Part of this is that every state has different requirements. For example, I am licensed in one state to teach Social Studies. I do not have a social studies degree or a minor in social studies. I have a passion for it, and I passed our state test for it. So, I'm credentialed in it. In my home state, I could start teaching with that credential, but I'd have to take some additional classes to teach certain subjects in history. Also, depending on the school and the program, they may be looking for specific qualification--for example, in my school, our DE teachers can only have a M.A. in English, and they have to have specific credits. If you don't have the credits that they want, even if you are credentialed in English, you can't teach that particular class. I think a lot of it has to do with the multiple ways people can get credentialed, that if a school can, they want to make sure that you truly know your subject matter.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 22, 2017

I've had to provide several transcripts while job hunting. They are fairly easy to get for your college's registrar.

15. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 22, 2017

I don't really see why the difference in pay matters. Your former salary doesn't make you more qualified to teach.

16. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Mar 22, 2017

I think you may be reading or inferring things that are not stated in any of my posts. I just find it interesting that in other fields(or at least ones that I have professional experience in) they can determine in the interview process if you have the qualifications necessary to do the job. Transcripts aren't necessary or requested.I have hired dozens of people myself without asking to see a transcript. It's fairly easy, if you are competent in your field, to "size up" a potential candidate or tell if the person is bona fide. As I said, I will comply. But, wouldn't you agree, that even if I had a Ph.D from MIT or Yale, my transcripts wouldn't indicate if I would be a good teacher at the high school or lower level?

17. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Mar 22, 2017

If they have a graded pay scale based on education (BA/BS + however many units through MA/MS + however many units and so on) they may also be trying to sort candidates by pay grade. For example if I had 6 more units I would move to a higher tier on the pay scale and thus I am 2 classes from making an extra 4 thousand a year and If those classes finished a masters I would also be entitled to an additional 1,200 yearly stipend. If they are hiring on a budget and can only afford someone who makes up to a certain amount it would behoove them to get a copy of your transcripts.

bella84 and mathmagic like this.
  18. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 22, 2017

In my experience, when filling out an online application, I can just upload a scan of an official transcript. The only time ordering a hard copy is necessary is after I have been offered and accepted the position. So, yeah, it is a pain, but it's a rare occurrence, since I only intend to accept one offer each time I'm doing the job hunt.

19. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Mar 22, 2017

If this is the case at least there is some semblance of logic behind the request. Oh well, I am complying regardless of underlying reason (or lack thereof). I will have to call dear ol' alma mater to seek out these ancient manuscripts...iirc they were written on parchment paper with ink and a quill pen. Then sealed with hot wax.It will be nice to communicate with my school and be the one asking them for something. Usually they call me...and ask me for something ($).

20. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Mar 22, 2017

Nice.....they will still ask for $ when you have to request the transcript. :)

bella84 likes this.
  21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 23, 2017

Yes, you will probably have to pay for the transcript! I think I paid $3 and just requested several copies (in sealed envelopes) so that if I ever needed them again I'd have them.

22. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Mar 23, 2017

Yes, it is normal. You could have 30 years of teaching, be certified in 8 different areas, and they would still request a transcript in the counties I've worked in. I happily pass off mine, so even if they weren't required, I would bring them to an interview anyway--they are part of my package, and show my level of personal dedication to excellence and over-achieving.

23. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Mar 23, 2017

so, my question about the frequency or normality of the request has clearly been answered. Apparently it is the norm. My next question for you and/or anyone else, have your transcripts ever been brought up as a topic for discussion during the pre-interview, the interview itself, or afterwards?

24. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 23, 2017

In my district, teachers can be paid considerably more based on the number of post BA units they've earned. So yes--transcripts were discussed after getting hired because I had to use them to show where I'd start out on the salary schedule (BA+15 units, BA+30 units, BA+45 units, etc.). There'd be no other way to confirm the number of units attained other than by proof of transcripts.

bella84 likes this.
  25. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Mar 23, 2017

thanks for the response. I guess that I am satisfied with what I have received in the way of responses. I can rest easy knowing the time spent on a phone call and the $5 fee for a copy of my transcript is not being wasted.;) All replies were appreciated.

bella84 likes this.
  26. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 23, 2017

Yes, this is the only situation in which I've ever encountered a discussion, as well. And the discussion was not in depth. It was simply: "If you show us that you have x number of hours above a masters degree, we will increase your salary."

27. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 23, 2017

Yes, but usually it's just a statement about how awesome my grades were. :laughing:

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  28. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Mar 24, 2017

Same. I had the HR person in the job I started this year tell me when I signed my contract in June that I still had time over the summer to take those remaining 6 units to move up to the BA+60 pay tier and it would be worth my time. And Yet I still havent done it. :rolleyes:. No one else ever brought it up and I dont think my P ever even saw them.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017