Is this legal/allowed?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by miss-m, Dec 29, 2020.

1. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Dec 29, 2020

I'm not sure if I should be upset about this, if my district is ripping me off, or if they're just too lazy to fix their pay system:

I'm on a curriculum cadre that falls under extra duty. On my time sheet and on my paystub, it has the hourly rate at a little over $30/hr. However, what I'm actually getting paid for my hours worked is only about $20/hr. Besides the fact that I'd love to get paid an extra $10-12/hour, it just seems super off. I've emailed HR about this in the past for a different extra duty thing, and the response I got was that the board only approved it for the lower hourly rate, so that's what I get paid. But if the hourly rate on my time sheet and pay stub doesn't match what I'm actually getting paid, something weird is going on. Is this legal? I've contacted my school's union rep but I don't know if this is a union issue, an HR issue, a board issue.... or if I just have to deal with it.

At this point I've done about 20-30 hours, which is a LOT of missing money if I should be fighting for the rate that's actually on all of my financial documents.

Any tips or insight? I don't know enough about labor/payroll laws and regulations to know how to go about this.

3. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Dec 29, 2020

Taxes, unemployment insurance, benefit reduction like medical? Are deductions itemized? If so, probably legal. But HR should be able to explain.

Backroads likes this.
  4. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Dec 29, 2020

It’s off before it even gets to deductions and withholding. (Like... 10 hours, $32.77 per hour, but then only $207 pretax) The negotiated agreement has the lower hourly rate for extra duty pay, but it’s weird that they wouldn’t fix it on check stubs.

I’ve emailed HR about this before and they basically told me the board only approved the lower rate, so that’s what we get paid. Even though it has something different when we submit extra hours.

5. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Dec 30, 2020

Sorry. I have no idea. I guess it would depend on the agreement between you and your employer. It does seem fishy. But it looks like a lawyer thing. Too many things are lawyer things.:(

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2020

Your union should be able to help you. It's likely that what HR is saying is correct, and thus you won't end up with the higher amount, but they need to fix their pay stubs. And if there is any chance they're wrong and you should be getting the higher amount, then the union can deal with that.