is this job depressing or what?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by traeh, Nov 29, 2007.

1. traeh

traeh Companion

Nov 29, 2007

I have absolutely no life with this job and it's really getting to me. I am ALWAYS lesson planning and grading papers. Right now it's been 2 weeks since I collected them and I've still yet to grade 2 sets of projects . On top of the projects I have tons of quizzes and other things to grade. Then, of course, there's the plans I need PER DAY. I photocopy 24/7 and I feel like I never get a breather during the school day. I'm always stressed out and during the school day I can feel my heart pounding. I'm really worried about my physical health. Then there's crap that I deal with from certain kids that just exacerbates things. I NEVER stop thinking about work. It's on my mind 24/7.. and it's any wonder, since I have no time to do anything else. THIS SUCKS SO BAD.:(

3. JustineCase

JustineCase Rookie

Nov 29, 2007

wow. you just described my life.

if you figure it out before i do, let me know.

hugs to you until then.

4. LA/FLnewbie

LA/FLnewbie Companion

Nov 30, 2007

I feel the same way. It is relentless and now I am not sleeping nights, so I am a zombie most mornings. The adrenaline kicks in with the kids and I am able to rise up to some extent, but I want to crash in the evenings and don't get work done. I got sleep meds from my doctor but they don't always work.

There is really no one I feel I can talk to at the school about this -- it is small, one teacher per grade, and the teachers are gossipy and I would feel uncomfortable being truly open about how much I am struggling. Plus, I am in a new area with no friends close by.
    My boyfriend and my mom get an earful, but it's not getting better...

I am hoping that summer vacation will make it worth it? In the beginning, the "good moments" with the students were keeping me going, but now they seem too few and far between...Everyone says it will get better, but when? And how? :(

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 30, 2007

Oh no, you guys. That sounds awful - for all of you. I don't think I could take it. Sorry, I can't help, though. I teach in a small private school and only have 9 kids in my class. This is my choice because I couldn't live with the 24/7 scenario.

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Nov 30, 2007

A better school may change your perspective. Good colleagues are invaluable.

7. traeh

traeh Companion

Nov 30, 2007

Here are just of FEW things that make me HATE this school where I work and make me absolutely dread every day mon-fri. I really think it's probably the school ( I hope anyway ):

-My mentor does absolutely NOTHING to help me out. She never checks in with me to see how things are going nor does she offer helpful advice or materials. Okay, I realize most mentors don't help first year teachers, but she is getting PAID to mentor me. That perturbs me...

-The discipline policy at this school is RIDICULOUS. There are mini-detentions that last 23 minutes, during which, the kids are permitted to do as they please (even listen to their ipods). The kids think these mini detentions (which are served during the first half of their regular lunch period) are a joke. Also, for every can of soup that the kids turn in to their asst. principal, they are permitted to drop 1 mini detention.

-I have NO SUPPORT from ANYONE. Everyone is in their own little world, and when I ask for support in terms of classroom management suggestions... nobody provides me any assistance of substance. As there is very little discipline in this school, the kids are OUT OF CONTROL. Am I the only one that thinks that kids should face consequences if they are texting their friends on their cell phones during school hours, wearing ipods in the hall, and cussing at adult staff/teachers?? It's disgraceful how disrespectful the kids are... and how few consequences they face.

-My dept. does not have textbooks and everyone just does their own thing. Therefore, there is absolutely NO coordination between anyone. It's such a mess! Due to the lack of textbooks, I'm running around crazy 24/7 searching for my own materials to copy.

-Lastly, I HATE having to prepare for three different classes (I have five total classes - 3 diff. levels of Spanish) AND deal with the students disrespectfulness daily. These kids do NOT shut up when I am talking. And..........of course, what's stopping them since the discipline at this school SUCKS.

Feel free to add your own :2cents:

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2007

traeh, I think it has everything to do with your school.

My first year I had a mentor that I met with each week. We didn't necessarily go over plans, but she gave me some ideas. I met with a couple of other teachers for lessons.

Discipline is a BIG issue and if you don't have a supportative admin, it makes your job much harder to accomplish.

And not having at least one person to vent to makes it hard because you take everything home with you and think about it and let it stir.

Without the right materials handy, they are just setting you up for failure and extra work.

The planning for 3 preps would be a lot easier if you had the right materials.

traeh, if I were you, I would try to make it til the end of the year and then try looking for another job in a different school/district. Good luck!

9. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Nov 30, 2007

I agree. A lot of times ppl will get away from teaching because of a bad experience that they have had at their school and that's not good because teaching is such a valuable profession and good teachers are highly needed and it sounds as if you work very hard. Don't give up on the profession. Enjoy yer breaks as much as possible. I know it's hard and it sounds like you have a hard time. I think your school sounds horrible because I agree that cell phones should not be used and kids need to be disciplined, and I know it's hard when you dont have the resources. Just try to hang in there. Use your sick days as much as possible ;)

10. Dedicated

Dedicated Rookie

Dec 1, 2007

I am here typing at 5 AM on a Saturday because I can't sleep. I am in a very similar situation in an urban school with kids out of control. I was thrilled to get this position but now it seems like the job from hell.
    Yesterday I had the most miserable day since September. I was pelted in the face and head with spit balls in one of my classes. Coincidentally (or not!)two days previously I called the home of one of the big mouths. She was punished by her mother and was seen crying in the office (no basketball practice for you dear). When I reached my car at 8 PM (yes 8 PM) it had an egg smashed on it.

I am teaching Family & Consumer Science in a school with no kitchen, no sewing machines and very little resources. I've had to come up with my own curriculum and materials since what was left here is outdated and irrelevent. I am given little prep time and teach 3 different grades (middle school) 2 classes each, six classes a day. Hence the long hours.

It has been impossible for me to find a way to engage these kids. They tell me everything is "mad ass boring" and either refuse to do the work or do it with very little effort. Much of the material I present seems above their level and I am now looking for elementary level lesson plan ideas.

There are enough disrespectful jerks in most of my classes to make teaching anything a joke. My principal says it's my inexperience in classroom management , but my entire time is spent managing and not teaching. Teachers at this school tell me it will always be a struggle. I am demoralized, depressed and frustrated.
    I have 3 more days in this cycle with this group of kids and I almost can't bear to go in Monday.

Any advice or encouragement will be appreciated.

11. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Dec 1, 2007

traeh:

I taught Spanish at an inner city school for five years with a textbook. I will be glad to help in anyway.

The thing about bringing in a can to get out of a dentention is ridiculous!!!! Is there any way you can require students to serve dentention with you?

What worked really well for me with my inner city classes (30-40 students per class) were participation points. It seems like it would be hard to do but is actually very easy and works very well. It cuts down on behaviour problems by at least 50 percent. The participation grade was about half of their grade. I would keep a chart with their names on it. I would ask questions and every time they made an honest attempt to answer I would write down a slash mark. At the end of each week I would assign them a grade based on the slash marks. You can also write down negative marks. The key is to give lots of opportunities to answer the question. So if I asked Como estas I might let 10 people answer the question. Sometimes I would let a student keep track of the points. You know they might add a few extra points for the buddies but it is okay as you are looking for an overall pattern.

I also would have them create their own book through a portfolio. Even today all my students keep a binder. My Spanish students have notes, practicas, and tarea/examenes. I grade it every nine weeks.

If you have an overhead projector give them more notes instead of copying them. This saves you work and makes them more responsible. If someone is gone they just need to copy the notes from someone.

Give them practice questions that they can practice everyday. This also cuts down on copies. I assign my students a partner for each week. So it is matter of saying get out your preguntas personales and practice for two minutes etc. Then I circulate to see if they are doing what they need to do. You can also take participation points here. I usually put these questions on quizzes/tests. If they are not doing what they need to do you can give them a quiz after they practice with a partner.

I also have some high interest games that my students love to play. Conjugation battleship is their favorite. They will absolutely beg to play it. I can even leave it with a sub and they will play because they love it so much. The great thing about it is that I don't have to do much but circulate. They also really love Bomba (kind of like jeopardy with a twist).

This is my favorite saying: It is not my job to work myself to death while my students watch. It is my job to work my students to death while I watch!

Look at your class and see how much you are doing in relationship to them. They should be working harder than you! It is hard to get there but it is quite possible. Sometimes I feel my students are learning the most when they are so involved they don't even know that I am in the room!

Sorry this was so long! Good luck!

12. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Dec 1, 2007

It is me with the big mouth again. Dedicated I just read your posting again and I have suggestion for you. Since you are almost done with these kids they can give you some insight on your next group. I like to do something called two likes and a wish. Have them write down (on the last day of class) two things they liked that they did in class and one thing they wished they had done. I would, in this case, have them write their names so you don't get the ," I liked it when I egged your car" comments. But if they say they wished they had done more cooking or whatever they you can try to incorporate it in your next class.

I would start the next group with as high-interest activity as you can think of. Can they make no-bake cookies or some kind of project like that? If you can have high-interest labs between lecutures and more tedious activities they will be more willing to put the effort in. Then if they don't do the worksheets or whatever they don't get to do the lab.

Good luck!

13. traeh

traeh Companion

Dec 1, 2007

budaka:

Thanks for the help. In the classroom, my biggest issues are getting the kids to stay focused/on task, having them RESPECT the fact that they need to RAISE their hand and not simply just call out, and ensuring that they are actually doing the partner/group work I assign and aren't just conversing about their weekend, etc. I have one class of INCORRIGIBLE kids who just talk to one another when I'm talking. They lack any respect. Then when I give them these mini-detentions, they all start to rebel and there's an uproar. I absolutely cannot stand this class. There is another 2 classes in which the kids constantly call out. Even after I ask them to raise their hand. Do you permit kids to call out constantly????????
    I feel like they don't take me seriously... maybe because I look young? Maybe because of the no-discipline policy? Whatever the reason, I am fed up. Like Dedicated, I dread Mondays. I feel like I'm putting too much of myself into this job to have to deal with so much disrespect and behavior management issues.

Also, the grade the students receive is the average of their total scores on all assignments. Participation is worth 100 points and I deduct a max of either 2-3 points each day for behavioral problems. I feel like it's not enough. Obviously, this system is not working.

I really like the idea of a portfolio, but I just feel like all that extra work of collecting and grading them is not worth it.

Also, how do you manage your time being a teacher? I'm ALWAYS grading a billion papers throughout the week and on my weekends. Also, I'm always trying to plan ahead, but I'm still overwhelmed because I feel like ... am I doing enough each day? am I doing to little? How many activities should I REALLY be doing per day? Sometimes I get done 2 small activities or 1 worksheet and that's it with these chatty kids!

Also, the kids take no responsibility for their work and I'm left hunting them down to give them homework/assignments they missed. I tried assigning partners at the beginning of the year to collect missed work and staple it and place it in an accordian folder. NOBODY LISTENED.

I HATE THIS CRAP. I want this year to be over with so I can begin looking for a new school or a new career.

14. sherri0318

sherri0318 Rookie

Dec 1, 2007

I just wanted to say that I too am having the most horrible experience as a teacher. THis is my first year, but I think even if it was my 100th year, it'd still be filled with endless mounds of papers to be graded/filed, progress reports to be compiled, parents to call, discipline problems to contend with, tattling to listen to, hoops to jump through to please administration, and the list can go on.

My days are not my own anymore, my weekends aren't either. I have a 2 year old and 2 teenagers who don't have a mother anymore, and my marriage is SEVERLY failing because of my responsibilities as a teacher. I have had enough, it's not worth it anymore - I've wanted this for 10 years, I finally took the plunge to go to school......for SIX years I sweated blood and tears to get through school - even stayed through my pregnancy and birth of my son.....but 4 months into this crap I've decided my family is MUCH more valuable to me than those 17 kids in my class who don't give a rat's ass that I am trying to teach them something. So I'm out. My husband (who was gracious enough to stay home with our 2 year old while I taught) is out looking for a job as I am writing this. As soon as he finds one, I'm letting my pricipal know that I won't be back.....it's not even worth it to finish out the school year - no one on this planet should have to put up with the 24/7 B.S. that we teachers go through.

I hope the rest of you who are having a tough time of it find the courage and strength to get out too.........you deserve your life back - and your family deserves you back too!!! :)

15. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Dec 1, 2007

I totally agree with you!!!! Would you please call my school administrators and tell them everything you just wrote here, cause they won't listen to any of us????? PLEASE!!!!!

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 1, 2007

I don't think anything I tell them will be different than what you and your teachers already have. Some admins just think their way is the best way when in actuality it's the farthest from it. I'm sorry that there are just so many teachers out there that are feeling this way before the second semester starts. I've been in the position of leaving mid year because the students were horrible, but my admin was very supportative. But now I would give anything to be back in the classroom. I wouldn't give up teaching if this is your first year. Give it a couple of more years in a different school/district. My second year was very different! The students were awesome, I got a lot of teaching done; however, admin was horrible and didn't support ME. Other teachers that had been there, yes. Me and some other new to the districts, no. I'm sure that the next position I get will be the one that I'm in for the long run.

17. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Dec 1, 2007

One of the reasons why portfolios work for me is that many of the assignments I would grade otherwise are in there. When I grade the binders I just look to see if they have most of them done.

I also never grade all my students papers. In fact, the higher the level the fewer the grades. I may grade only one out of every three papers they do. Sometimes practice is just that practice. My students never know what I am going to grade. Sometimes, if I looking at homework I will collect and put a check mark on it so that they know I checked and then the next day we will go over it in class. Or I might grade just a chunk.

Do not track down students late work. That is their problem, not yours!! My policy is that they can turn in late the next day for half credit and that is. That is all she wrote!

I usually do about six different activities in a 43 minute class. But it has taken me years to get my students to transition quickly. I had one class that was incorrigible!! Most of them had been in jail. Several had house arrest bracelets on! I had to be content with just getting done what I could.

You don't have to teach your classes the same either. If you have one first year class that is better than the others tha they could more different things. If you have a class that wont participate during partner activities I would suggest giving them a very limited time to work with each other and then let them know that they will have a quiz immediately after the practice. And by very limited I mean about two or three minutes tops. Especially if it material that they have been working on. You can also come a long and grade them as they are practicing.

It is hard your first couple of years. Keep a good file system of all your papers. I have a dear john letter (preterit vs. imperfect) that I have been using for ten years now. I often make up new things too, but it is great to just go over to a file cabinent and pull things out.

Also, take advantage of over lapping. My second year students are just now learning the preterit so I pulled out the preterit papers my third year students did as review in the beginning of the year.

I have six different subjects that I teach: Spanish 1-4, 7th grade English, and 8th grade English. It does get overwhelming at times, especially since I have four classes in a row. By the time I get to the fourth I am a little slap happy!

I try to pick a subject a week that it is going to extra special treatment ( a different activity, song, craft, etc.) and everybody else gets the best I can without going crazy.

I do have a family and on Saturdays I do nothing related to schoolwork (although I am typing this today!). If it doesn't get done, it doesn't get done. The only thing that has to be done is my lesson planning-papers to be graded can wait for a while anyway.

At school, I lunch with the other teachers (adults!) but during my prep period I am a teacher on a mission and get as much preping for the next day done as possible. If there is any time left I grade papers. If papers have gone a long time without grading and they are not tests or projects into the trash they go. It sounds bad I know, but by then the students won't miss them anyway.

Have them do assignments that don't need to be graded or can be graded on the spot. Sometimes we do bingo (they fill in the vocab words on a sheet). I only collect the winning papers for extra credit. All the other papers go in recycling. It took me several years to learn that I didn't need bingo chips (I'm serious, I wish someone had explained this to me!). I just have the students make a different mark each game. Wow, no chips on the floor or little pieces of paper everywhere. Another great conjugation game is with dice. You need a set of dice for every three people (borrow them from Monopoly, yahtzee games etc). On the board assign a subject pronoun to each number (1=yo, 2=tu) and a verb (1=hablar) and then they roll and conjugate. If they do it correctly they get the points. Play for about six minutes or so and the winning person from each group gets extra credit. Done-no papers to grade except record a point or two of extra credit.

What is the one thing aspect that most takes up your time? If it is grading papers which papers exactly?

18. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Dec 1, 2007

traeh -
    Believe me you are not alone! This is my first year too and I feel like I do nothing but lesson plan, grade, and prepare things. I honestly feel like I work 15 hours a day. I usually get up at 6 for the day, I stay at work until probably 5 everyday, and when I get home I work until about 11:30 where I then crash until 6 a.m. for the next day. I have no life on Friday nights because I'm so exhausted from the week that I crash at around 10. But it is so stressful. I think the thing that saves me is that I have an incredibly supportive staff. My fifth graders can be difficult though. We have many behavioral problems. There is only one teacher per grade. The students are also not separated so I have students who are ELL learners, who have IEP's, and also have LD's. So, it's an incredible amount to deal with. Like you, I have a really difficult time grading things. It takes me forever to get things graded. The only things I try to do right away are their tests. But it's soooo stressful!

19. LA/FLnewbie

LA/FLnewbie Companion

Dec 2, 2007

1) Budaka - you are awesome! Thanks for the good ideas. Man, I wish some of my COWORKERS were 1/3 as helpful as you have been in these few posts. I am SO SICK of hearing "it will get better, your first year is always hard" from the other teachers when I ask for help -- sorry, but that is BS! I want to know what I can do to do to make it better, not just hear that others have suffered, too!

2) traeh, you are describing my life, or my lack thereof! Despite what I just said in 1), it does help to hear that we are not alone, others feel the same way, and I'm not the only one suffering.

20. Dedicated

Dedicated Rookie

Dec 2, 2007

Budaka
    Thank you. I did make up an "Exit Interview" but was debating whether to give it out since I am sure they will have lots of uncomplimentary things to say. Last cycle it was helpful but hard to take. I know you are exactly correct though.

I had planned on some sort of food activity but when I thought of the logistics: no kitchen, no water, no supplies, carpeting on floor, I scrapped it. Last cycle, I made felt hats with my best group and that worked out well. Food is truly the one thing they all want.
    I like the way you tally your participation points. I need to show them things count right away. The way I've been doing it, by the time they realize it counts it's almost too late and more work for me since they all rush to turn things in.

21. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 2, 2007

Does you department collaborate at all??? It does sound like your school is in quite a mess.

22. traeh

traeh Companion

Dec 2, 2007

tami:

If you're asking if the dept. at my school collaborates at all, the answer is a big fat N-O. It's ridiculous. Nobody is doing the same thing and therefore I have kids in Spanish III that don't all know the same thing, same with my II's. Therefore, it's difficult to keep EVERYONE up to speed, when some just don't have the foundation they need.

LA/FL newbie:

I totally second you! Budaka IS such an awesome mentor right here on the forum. I also get so pissed when everyone says 'you just have to make it through the first year or so.. it's going to be rough, but you have to survive'. It's like.. how about some support and assistance to HELP me survive? Rather than just trial under fire...

Budaka:

You are my inspiration.. and a god-send! Thanks so much for all the tips! I plan on trying to implement more activities in my classes, to try to keep them more focused. I find that the majority of the focus is lost when we go OVER the activities.. which takes up so much time (ie. translating, and checking to make sure they understand WHY they make the conjugations they do, or use the vocabulary they do). How do you speed up going over activities? Do you have them just read through their answers, or do you always stop and say... 'now someone tell me why we did that?' I always have them explain why and it takes forever!

I also am planning on implementing the portfolio collection idea next quarter. Again, I will just see to make sure MOST of it is there, and try not to check everything.

In terms of grading, it is taking a while to get through all of the paperwork. The hardest part is projects. It's already been 3 weeks since I collected 2 classes worth of stem-changer projects and I have yet to grade them. I'll be lucky if I get them done by the end of the month! I find it really frustrating when the kids act perturbed that I haven't graded something, when I'm working my tail off!

Also, you said you spot check certain things.. like practice activities... how much are your spot checks generally worth. And how much is the portfolio worth?

Did I mention how inspirational you are... teaching 6 subjects!!! I thought 3 was a lot.... oh my word. I can't thank you enough for all of the guidance you've given us here at a-z !!!!!!!!!!

23. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Dec 2, 2007

Gee, you all are going to make me have a big head! but really sometimes it is just learnining how to do things quicker and more efficiently. My very first teaching job I was straightening the desks after the students had left and another teacher came in and said why are you doing that? It is the students' job. And I though, hey she is right!
    My students do lots of stuff in my room. Right now I have one of the ugliest feliz navidad bulletin boards you have ever seen! I keep wanting to re-do the lettering, but my students were so darn proud of themselves! You really have to find a way for the students to "buy in' to the classroom. I have one class that can't meet in my room because they don't fit (30 7th graders) and they hate that they can't be in my room.
    Once my 8th graders had put up their bloody tell tale heart drawings and labeled the bulletin board "the 8th grade hall of fame".
    There are just so many things that no one tells you and later on you are like, hey if someone would have told me this my life would have been easier.

When I go over papers I often have the students write the answers on the board (about ten answers at a time). They love to write. Then we go over the answers. I like to do the esta correcto o no? Then I correct the mistakes and we go on. The trick is once in a while I collect the papers after we go over them and grade them intensely. After all they SHOULD BE PERFECT! It only takes a few times getting Fs for the students to realize they need to pay attention. Again, sometimes I pick them up and I don't grade them.

I would cut down on the projects too if you are having a hard time grading them. They are time consuming! Or again, plan projects that can be graded at the time, like oral projects/dialogues/presentations.

Any more questions just let me know!

24. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 2, 2007

Are you a Language Arts teacher?

25. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 2, 2007

That's too bad! We have collaboration meetings every week! Every Wednesday to be exact. We rotate from have department meetings, to having grade level meetings, and then wild card meetings where all teachers meet to discuss a specific topic. Consequently, most teachers are on the same page (there is atleast one that I can think of that is off doing her own thing, and not doing it well, but she's "under the radar" anyway), and it works wonderfully. Maybe you should look for a school that better fits your teaching needs.

26. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Dec 2, 2007

And a timer is one of the best things on the planet for students who procrastinate. And give them completly random times like two minutes or seven minutes. Never five or ten minutes. If they ask you why you can give the all knowing look with the answer," I know exactly how long it should take you to do this". I never give them enough time for all the students to finish when they are doing partner work because that is too much time for most. Also, make sure you instruct them that if they are finish before everyone else they should repeat the whole thing again.

One of my students' favorite activities is line interviews. We prepare certain questions and answers. For example, como te llamas, donde vives, cuantos anos tienes etc. Then they form two lines facing each other. They always shake hands and say buenos dias to each each other (this way they know who their partner is)and then they have about a minute to ask each other the questions. Then I stop them and one line moves down. You can do this as long as you like. About every five people or so I change the questions or make them a little more challenging. After this activity they can have either a quiz (ole!) or written work with the same questions. It seems like it would be chaotic but peer pressure really works in this situation.

Bueno, me gusta hablar (escribir) demasiado. :lol: Voy a ir a corregir papeles! Buena suerte!

27. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Dec 2, 2007

Sorry Tamj I didn't see your post. I teach high school Spanish and middle school language arts (but not reading).

28. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 2, 2007

Budaka:

That's what I thought. Which subject is your favorite to teach (assuming that you have a favorite)?

29. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Dec 2, 2007

I'm in the same boat. From talking with other teachers, I've found that this is the way your 1st year is supposed to be.

Teaching is truly a calling! ;)

30. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Dec 2, 2007

I feel for you, I guess I never really how lucky I was to start off in a department with a group of awesome colleagues. We all put the kids first, are dedicated, are tyring to move away from the text. I really do not know what help I can be of as when I started teaching and even now there are two other teachers who I teach with who teach the same courses I do and we have very similar teaching beliefs and styles. We often plan together and divide up the planning for units.

31. Dedicated

Dedicated Rookie

Dec 3, 2007

Unfortunately, I am the department. Yes, it's a mess.

32. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Dec 3, 2007

I don't think it has to do with the school. I feel the same way all the time. My birthday is coming up and I forgot about it until my boyfriend reminded me....my life revolves around 22 kids and paperwork. I work at a wonderful school and could not have better team members. I am so happy with the school it kills me to think that this may not be for me. I know everyone said your first year would be hard but geezzz! It's so much harder than I expected. I hope it really does get better....I really hope for all of us!

33. LA/FLnewbie

LA/FLnewbie Companion

Dec 5, 2007

This is how I feel too...if your first year is just supposed to be hard, how do I figure out if it's just ME? Maybe I'm just not cut out for this...or the grade level...or maybe the school isn't the "right fit"?

Personally, right now, I can hardly imagine signing on for another year if it might be this painful again. I KNOW I need to stop thinking about it, but I can't.

:(

34. traeh

traeh Companion

Dec 5, 2007

Does anyone feel like their anxiety-ridden 24/7? I feel like I never stop thinking about school and I'm always nervous!

35. catamountgurl

catamountgurl New Member

Dec 5, 2007

stressed to the max

I am also going crazy at my school. I teach at a very small charter school 70 kids k-5 and 5 teachers...we had 6 teachers (1 for each grade) but the board decided that we didn't need a 5th grade teacher, but the 4th grade teacher can't handle the 19 kids in 4th and 5th grade when about 8 have IEP's, so now our only special ed teacher is teaching 5th grade in the morning's so she's not avaliable to us, and the principal is teaching 5th in the afternoons. it's crazy. these are my only support people besides the secretary. I teach 3rd grade and have 13 kids. 6 have IEP's. i have one that literally kicks me, hard, 3-4 days each week durring his autisim fits. then i have another one with behavior issues, plus low iq's, short term memory problems, and esl. i have an assistant who works mainly one on one with one of my behavior students, but it is hard.
    all of the teachers at my school are stressed to the max, the one teacher with the most experience has 4 years every one else is less, and he's the best part...no mentor, no growth plans or anything and i think it is required by law for me to have one...i am suposed to teach hands on but i have kids functioning on preschool level up through 6th grade reading level, i tell my boyfriend that i'm gonna quit at least once a week and i dread each day...i don't plan on returning to this school next year, i think the hardest part is that i have no support system in my town, my family lives an hour away and my boyfriend almost 2 hours away. it is so hard!!! but i am glad to know that i'm not the only first year teacher frustrated.

36. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Dec 5, 2007

I quit after my first semester teaching! But then I went on to a better school. For some people it may never get better and it may be some people just aren't cut out to be teachers. But I think for most it does get better after the first year. We really are telling the truth!:)

37. traeh

traeh Companion

Dec 5, 2007

budaka...

Wasn't it hard to find a job after quitting mid-year? That's awesome that you did that...

38. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Dec 5, 2007

No, in fact I went from a small, private, Christian high school to an inner-city public high school of way over 2, 000 students. I ended up teaching there for five years. It was way better than the small school. I had more support, more benefits and protection because of the union, and the students were much more appreciative.