Is this inappropriate? (Dr.Seuss Theme)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MsVanillawafer, Aug 1, 2011.

1. MsVanillawafer

MsVanillawafer Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

I need your opinions before I color my heart out today and put my all into these.

Every year we give our students numbers based on alphabetical order (1-26). So after practicing we can say "line up in number order" and the kids know. We also use these numbers to label many things around the classroom.

I am doing a Dr. Seuss theme this year and I thought it would be cute to create labels for my coat hooks that were "Thing 1 and Thing 2" themed. Click on the link below to see the labels I started on. (they'll look better when they are peeled off)

[​IMG]

So they all say "THING" on them and then I printed the numbers from 1-26 on them.

I thought this was such a great idea and then I got worried because I didnt want to be accused of calling the children "things". Technically its a character, right? I could have made "1 fish, 2 fish, 3 fish..." and it would have been the same thing. So what do you think? I want some feedback before I start working on more of them

3. MsVanillawafer

MsVanillawafer Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 1, 2011

I love the Dr. Seuss theme! I always preferred the 1 fish, 2 fish, red fish, blue fish myself so that's what I would have picked! If you're worried about it and you haven't started making them yet then go ahead and switch unless you're really in love with "thing." Or run it by some other people in your building!

5. MsVanillawafer

MsVanillawafer Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

I would totally switch but I already printed my template on avery labels! After I did it I thought "Oh shucks..." If it raises a ton of eyebrows I'll change it. I'll run it by my VP before I put them on.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 1, 2011

Shoot I missed the part where you already had them done lol. Isn't it nice to have other people in the school to run things by?

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 1, 2011

I don't know about calling the kids "things." Personally, I don't even number my kids- as I find that too impersonal.

8. MsVanillawafer

MsVanillawafer Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

I think I am going to use these for something different that is not such an integral part of the classroom decor. I feel like with the coat hooks its like "Here you THING, hang up your stuff".

Maybe I'll use them for art boxes which get stored away or something.

9. comaba

comaba Cohort

Aug 1, 2011

My first thought was that it might be a problem with some parents. I personally think it's cute. I wonder if you can be Thing 1, and start the class numbering at 2. Could you wear a Thing 1 t-shirt on the first day of school? Or label your desk as Thing 1? If you refer to yourself as one of Seuss's Things, it may not be a problem.

10. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 1, 2011

I am quite the odd-duck so I find it really cute and neat, but I can definitely see how someone (admin, colleague, parent, student) could get offended by it.

If it were me, I would probably use that in some... non-integral part of the classroom as you said.

11. MsVanillawafer

MsVanillawafer Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

Im mourning the loss of 140.00 from my large purchase of Seuss decorations and such from Seussland.com and smilemakers. No classroom budget money this year due to PA budget cuts. Just a small amount of what I usually spend out of pocket. I got some cute stuff though!

12. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 1, 2011

I think it's cute, and I think parents would get it if they know Dr. Seuss. I would probably switch to "fish," though. The reason is because I have always had a lot of low readers and low-level English speakers who might get confused if you reference people with "thing".

13. time out

time out Comrade

Aug 1, 2011

I think it's fine. One of the teachers at my school had a Dr. Seuss theme for our Storybook Character Parade one October and each student wore a shirt that said "Thing ___" It's not like you'll be calling them things. Parents should get the reference, especially if your room is decked out with Seuss stuff which it sounds like it will be.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2011

I think it's cute.

15. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Aug 1, 2011

I think its cute too! Maybe run it by your VP and see what they think. You could always explain it in a newsletter or something and explain that it is a play on Dr. Seuss characters...

16. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 1, 2011

Isn't it amazing how something we intend to be cute can be misinterpreted??? I number my students, and often I call the evens to take a break first...or whatever. I always smile when I call the odd students to take a break. :) Of course, they usually laugh with me!!

17. ally06

ally06 Companion

Aug 1, 2011

I think it is cute as well and think it is appropriate as part of your theme. However, as others have suggested, run it past someone at school if you are not completely comfortable.

18. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 1, 2011

I think it's adorable! I like the idea of you being "thing 1". I think that will take the edge off of any questions or concerns anyone has about it. :)

19. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Aug 1, 2011

Maybe you could diffuse the impact by making desk tags with 1 fish 2 fish, and something else that requires a label with 1 shoe, 2 shoes. Personally, I don't have a problem with it. Universal sells shirts that say Thing 1 and Thing 2 and people buy them for their children. Many, many people wear them and think they are cute/clever. I think if your whole room is Seuss, then you can not go wrong. I saw some Seuss stuff at Target on Saturday, as a change of topic, but perhaps useful to you.

20. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Aug 1, 2011

I think it's an awesome idea. If it's the general theme in the classroom, I don't think anyone will take it the wrong way! It's fun!!!

21. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 1, 2011

I do not think it is inappropriate... I like it! :) I am quite the odd duck and think it is a wonderful idea. People purchase t-shirts all the time from Universal Studios that say Thing 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

You should not mourn! There are a lot of ways you can use your new decor! Be creative!!!