Is this crummy?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AdamnJakesMommy, Sep 1, 2014.

1. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Sep 1, 2014

Okay, disclaimer: I am NOT saying I am doing this, but the thought has crossed my mind.

At the beginning of the month I was offered two positions: 6th grade ela/ss and 7th grade math/science in two different districts.

I took the 7th grade math/science position because the opportunity for the board to approve an additional teacher after the first 10 days of school was and still is there, and I would move over to 7th social studies and science. The ELA scared me because I haven't really taught that subject before.

In hindsight, I wish I had chose the 6th grade ela/ss. There would've been tons of mentor support (just found out who my mentor was on Thursday in this district and it is a floater, not in school :(), the district I am in I thought was la crème a la crème--not so much---I don't have a smart board, an elmo, and I have to share a computer lab with 10 other teachers. My class sizes are huge, over 30. I know the district I turned down has pretty good technology available and smaller class sizes.

The position I turned down is still posted.

How horrible of a person would I be to inquire if it was still available and consider moving at this point, 1 week into the year? I feel like a jerk for even thinking it, but I would be lying if I said I am not happy with the decision I made and I regret it and wish I could undo it.

I am under contract and would have to give a 30 day notice.

Nobody throw stones, I am just experiencing some mixed emotions right now, because what I believed about this district is not what has emerged.

3. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 1, 2014

Honestly, I would get over the "district" and just focus on your teaching.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2014

:yeahthat:

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 1, 2014

I think "the grass is always greener" mentality applies here. It's easy to think another district or school is a better environment...but then when you actually work there it could be a different situation entirely. Sure, they could have smaller class sizes and more tech...but they could also have a micromanaging administration and/or a grade level team that's very difficult to work with. It's impossible to tell, from the outside, what a school is really like. It's all a gamble until you're actually in there.

I think this is the key statement you made: "What I believed about the district is not what has emerged." Who's to say that wouldn't happen again??

Instead of focusing on what could be better someplace else, I think you'll be a lot happier if you focus on how to make the most of your current position.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 1, 2014

I would honor my commitment and stick to this school / position for this school year.

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 1, 2014

I think the stress of transferring jobs mid-year would be deterrent enough for me to not even consider it. It's easier just to stick to one position and see it through the whole year.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2014

Along the same lines...what can you do to make your job easier?

Several years ago I wrote a grant and was awarded a complete computer lab, including printers. That made life at our school much easier.

So, can you write grants, ask for donations, etc, that will give you some needed items?

What is the possibility of still getting that second teacher?

9. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2014

I agree with yellowdaises. If you found that the job you had taken now was absolutely horrible and you couldn't possibly stick it out the entire year, it might be different, but all of the things you are describing sound like minor annoyances. You could find just as many annoyances that you don't yet know about at the other district. I had two offers when I took this job, and even a full year later I'll admit that if I'm having a hard time with something at school I wonder how the other position I was offered would have been. Just this past week I had a really rough week at my school, especially with some school/district philosophies that I don't really agree with. I've been reflecting about that a lot this weekend, and I'm realizing that no school/district is going to be perfect. There are many things about my current school that I like, and it's up to me to have a more positive attitude and not let things that aren't perfect get to me.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 1, 2014

Perhaps there is a reason the other school has been unable to fill that position. It's an interesting reason to stay on your own green grass.

11. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Sep 1, 2014

Little story:

I once worked at a middle school that I LOVED. It was a mat leave position, so I wasn't there a full year, but I fit in so well, made tons of teacher friends, the kids were fantastic, the admin was supportive - everything I could have wanted. The district offered me tenure because of what I accomplished at that school.

At the end of the year, I thought that I had a position at the same school. Unfortunately, someone with more seniority came back from a leave and pushed me out. I was given a job at a nearby high school instead. I HATED the thoughts of moving over. The school was much larger, the kids were tougher, the subject matter was not my first choice and the building was really old - the first year I was there, I didn't even have an overhead projector. I was nearly sick at the thoughts of changing schools.

Guess what? I ended up loving it. Had the middle school called me up and offered me a job with them, I probably would have turned it down. When I moved back to my home province I cried like a baby because I didn't want to leave that school and for the first few months at my new school, I was fighting back tears most days.

Give it time. You may be pleasantly surprised.

12. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 1, 2014

You've only been there a week. Nothing you mentioned are deal breakers. Focus on what you can do to water your grass and make it green.

You have switched jobs at least once a year. It takes time to find your groove. I don't think anyone faults you for not wanting an extremely long commute or an age group you prefer (elementary and middle school are entirely different worlds), but you need to develop consistency to really grow as a professional. You can be a fantastic teacher without all the latest technology-- teachers did it did years and years.

13. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 1, 2014

In my opinion, leaving a school mid-year should be reserved for emergencies or for a required move. Nothing you've described seems like an emergency.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 1, 2014

Stay.

15. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2014

The things you don't have - a mentor, your OWN computer lab (huh?), the latest technology, small class sizes - is very common all around the county. Are you SURE you would have all of these things at the other school?

Looks like you are looking for an ideal situation and are disappointed because that you have not found it. Grass may not be greener so you might want to stay.

Good luck!

16. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Sep 1, 2014

It is something that seems inherent in my personality to be a perfectionist: I have to be perfect and the situation I'm in has to be perfect. I know that isn't how the real world works, but for the most part my life has mirrored what I envision ideally.

I think it does NOT help the situation that I work by choice (I don't have to work, I could stay home if I wanted to) and when it isn't perfectly the way I want it, I would rather cut ties than be inconvenienced.

It also doesn't help that there are serious bus issues at the school keeping me there until 5:30 in the evenings and I'm experiencing terrible separation anxiety from my two younger children as well knowing the other school, I would be home before 4:00.

17. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 1, 2014

Based on that post, I think the first thing you need to decide is if you really want to work right now. Until you've gotten past the idea that you don't need to work, I think you're going to find flaws you consider fatal in any job you have.

18. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 1, 2014

I think you should stay, nothing mentioned should be a deal breaker. Also, you've changed schools a lot, that would be a huge red flag to most districts. When you do find a "perfect" district, they may not hire you, even if it isn't on your resume, word gets around

19. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2014

The question is "Is this crummy?" Frankly, yes. :|

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2014

Yes, crummy. It's potentially also pretty bad for your resume.

No school or district is perfect. Your quest for perfection is likely going to make you very unhappy in this profession. If you're going to remain in it, you're going to need to get a handle on that.

If you don't want to work, then don't work. If you do, you've got to accept that it's an imperfect system. Strive to make it better if you wish, but don't always run away from something that is less than ideal.

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2014

I'd stay.

22. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 2, 2014

Recall these words:

I don't mean to be harsh, but at some point you have to accept the fact that nothing is perfect, and work with what you are given. Many more job hops and you will be unemployable. Also, whoever said you have to get over the fact that you don't "have" to work is correct. If that is the case, and you don't feel you can find the "perfect" environment, remember that others do have to work and would be happy to have a classroom, albeit one without a smart board and private computer lab.

23. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Sep 2, 2014

I agree. You already resigned from one job to take another this summer. I've done the same thing, so I don't blame you. However, doing it a second time the same summer is getting a little extreme. I think perhaps you have unrealistic expectations. I also don't know where you live, but you are going to burn some bridges by resigning all over the place.

24. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Sep 2, 2014

Thank you all for grounding me, my head was in the clouds. I've been a perpetual "spoiled brat" and when slightly disaffected, I want to jump ship. I think the idea of approaching it as: in what ways can I improve this situation in my classroom/school, not only gives me something to look forward to and remedy the technology situation, but it gives me something in which to accomplish for the better of my students.

25. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2014

If you can get an iPad mini, you can do most of what an Elmo and a Smartboard can do.