Is this asking too much?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by flutetoot, Aug 5, 2014.

1. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Aug 5, 2014

I received a verbal job offer for a job 10 hours away from me in another state about 2 weeks ago, contingent on the school contacting my references. Well, the school has finally contacted them (yeah!) and supposedly is sending me a written contract.
    School begins for them next week.
    Here is my dilemma:
    I was hesitant to commit to finding a place to live until I definitely had a contract in hand (obviously) and so I have not found a place to live.
    If/when I do receive the contract, I obviously would not be able to start on Monday since I would need a few days to find a place to live/stay, get my affairs in order where I am living now and in my new place, etc.
    Would it be too much for me to ask the new school if I could start a week or so later? (the first week is for teachers only anyhow)
    Has anyone else had to do something similar?
    Thanks
    :confused:

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 5, 2014

Could you possibly stay in a hotel? How likely is it you would find a place and be able to move in the same week?

4. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Aug 5, 2014

You would miss SO much in that first week, especially as a new teacher to the district! Not to mention, you and the kids would start the same day? Classroom not set up, school procedures unknown... what a nightmare. You have nearly a week- if it were me, I'd find a way to make it work.

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 5, 2014

I don't think you should ask to start late. They want you there for the new teacher orientation stuff. My guess is your contract states you need to be there (I know ours has specific language as far as number of days for new teachers vs returning teachers to take into account the 2 or 3 days new teachers have at the start of the year). While it will definitely be challenging to start a new job and move at the same time, I think you need to just try to make it work and not ask for a later start date.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2014

Bite the bullet, find a hotel/motel you can deal with, look like crazy, realizing that you may not get your perfect place to live overnight, so be flexible and consider month to month for a couple of months. Don't miss the first week of school - it is important.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 5, 2014

Agreed with the others- I would not miss the first couple days as a new teacher to the district. I honestly think that could potentially ruin your entire year! I would ask them to e-mail you the contract rather than snail mailing it, so you can have it right away. In my experience, if you're looking for an apartment, you need some sort of proof of salary before they'll rent to you, so you'll need it either way. I have used this to get my contract sooner when moving- explain to the district that you need it to find an apartment.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2014

I agree with everyone. Starting late would be a terrible idea.

You need to start researching now. I liked to use Yellow Pages to find the names of all the apartment complexes. There are a million sites, but not all of them list all the options. Utilize classifieds and craigslist. Oh, ask your district for help. They are usually very helpful when it comes to this. I'm guessing I know which state you are going to, and if I'm right, they get a lot of teachers from out of state. Some districts may even keep a list of nearby apartments on their website.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2014

Oh, and if you are in a pinch, see if there is an extended stay place nearby. They often are like furnished apartments.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 5, 2014

Definitely do not miss those first days! It sets a very bad tone. Instead ask if they have any recommendations of places to live. Put your things in storage for a month if you need to. Just make sure you're there!

11. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Aug 6, 2014

Congrats on the job!!!

12. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Aug 6, 2014

No. You can ask the school to help but frankly it's your problem. They are hiring you to do a job. Your housing situation should not distract from your responsibilities. I'd be very careful about this. You are not even in the classroom and you want time off? Not a good way to start the school year.

I'm looking at it from their perspective - hence my language. Congratulations on the new job.

If you end up in a motel/hotel, etc. explain your situation to the manager and ask if you might have some type of discount under the circumstances. The worst they can say is no.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2014

This is a bad, bad, bad idea.

You should have at least been looking for places to live and packing, even if you weren't able to commit to a lease just yet. My advice is to get some friends to help you pack ASAP, get yourself online to find three or four potential apartments, make appointments to meet with the property managers, and drive to the new town to pick an apartment. The absolute worst case scenario for you should be to find an extended stay hotel for a couple of weeks. Under no circumstances should you ask to start late, even just one day.

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2014

New teacher asking for time off = new teacher without a job

15. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Aug 6, 2014

I had to do something similar, only the distance was only 3 hours. I agree with others to ask your district for help and maybe they can see if someone in the community who may be willing to put you up for a few weeks or so while you get settled.

I did not ask to start late, but I thought about it. However I agree that that week is crucial for you to be there. Even if it is just teachers you are getting to know the district how it operates and will miss valuable time getting to know the school community, your admins, teachers you will work with, setting up classroom, etc.

In my case my school helped a great deal with the move financially as it was expensive to do it so quickly. I was also blessed that I knew people who let me stay in a room in their house for a couple of months at a reasonable rate while I looked for something more permanent - I kept almost everything in storage during that time. Do you know anyone where you are moving?

When I look back I think of how it was hard and I'd never want to do that again, but I got through it OK and honestly it really didn't seem that bad at the time - I was grateful to have a job in a city I liked! Good luck to you, and congrats!

16. lilia123

lilia123 Companion

Aug 6, 2014

I know in our contract it says New Teacher Orientation is mandatory.