Is This Appropriate???

Discussion in 'General Education' started by La Profesora, Nov 21, 2007.

1. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Nov 21, 2007

Hello All!

Tonight I had a 4D Ultrasound done! It was truly amazing to see my baby, and I have a 15 minute DVD of the whole thing.

I teach advanced Anatomy and Physiology to 11th graders who want to be doctors. Would it be appropriate to show them the DVD? I really want to, but I was wondering what ya'll thought. I would approach it from an Anatomy perspective.

Thank!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 21, 2007

I think it would be a neat experience. I would hand out permission slips for the parents to sign so that they know what their students will be viewing.

4. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2007

First of all, congrats on the baby....how exciting!!

I don't know if I would share my ulstrasound DVD with my studetns...it might be a bit TMI!!! Talk to your admin. and see what he/she thinks about it....a permission slip or maybe just a note home telling whats coming up might be a good idea....

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Nov 21, 2007

I think you should send a note and permission slip home to parents. Then, when you DO show it, those students whose parents objected can opt out. I don't personally find anything wrong with it -- it's not as if you are showing your body parts! I can see serious students benefiting greatly from the video!

6. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Nov 22, 2007

Get permission. That said, these guys wanna be doctors right? GO FOR IT! I for one think it would be a great lesson and timely at that.

7. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Nov 22, 2007

Yes, these are doctor quality students, and this is a medical test I would be showing them.

I am getting ready to teach Reproduction and Development - and each year I show a NOVA program that details conception with sperm and egg to delivery of the baby - along with The Miracle of Life. If they see a baby screetching out of a woman, then they should be able to handle my ultrasound (with none of my body parts showing).

This isn't the only medical part of my life I share with them. I am Type 1 diabetic, and I show them how I insert my insulin pump. I broke my neck in the 7th grade, and I show them my xrays of my crushed lower skull. I had blood poisoning when I was 14 months old and nearly died, and have huge cut downs on both of my legs where they inserted IV's into my arteries.

Yeah, not only am I lucky to be having a baby - I'm pretty much lucky to be alive!

8. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

Nov 22, 2007

I can't imagine what would be controversial about it. Go for it, they'll think it's cool.

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 22, 2007

The ultrasound would be NOTHING compared to seeing the Nova thing... lol.

10. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Nov 22, 2007

I agree I would show them! I bet they would love to see your little baby!! How cool that its on a DVD....get permission if you feel its needed.

11. rogue0208

rogue0208 Companion

Nov 22, 2007

agreed. Your ultrasound is also a walk in the park compared to The Miracle of Life!!

12. E Bunni 99

E Bunni 99 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007

I think this would be an awesome experience for the students. If nothing is being exposed (body parts), I don't see the harm. Especially with the other video you are showing!