Is this allowed?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissB123, Aug 22, 2018.

1. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 25, 2018

You’re right, it was a cheap shot, but it was not meant to be a cruel stereotype. It’s just hard to have a serious discussion when multiple posters like someone saying about their colleague following up a thank you with a thanks themselves is buttkissing. It’s stuff like that makes me say what I say. I just don’t think about or mind most of the “issues” that are talked about on these forums as if they are so horrible.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  2. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 25, 2018

But that's YOU as a person. It is not you as a private school teacher. You need to separate your own identity with that of all private school teachers.

readingrules12 likes this.
  3. futuremathsprof

Aug 25, 2018

True. I probably should use a different label, in hindsight. It would be more accurate to say “those teachers who happen to do this.”

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 25, 2018

It's really annoying getting 3-5 follow-up emails to literally every single email an administrator sends out with no content other than "Thank you!" and "Yes, thank you!" Especially when you're in a building where the primary form of communication from admin to staff about time-sensitive information is via email, meaning that if your phone vibrates from an email, you need to check it just in case.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

6. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 25, 2018

I'm not going to lie, I LOVE cleaning out my email inbox. It makes me feel so accomplished.

futuremathsprof, czacza and bella84 like this.
  7. MissB123

MissB123 Rookie

Aug 29, 2018

I went to speak to her that day and she just said "not right now". In the meantime, I just found out I was transferred, so now she just said goodluck, she didn't bring it up.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 30, 2018

Transferred? Wow.

BioAngel and futuremathsprof like this.
  9. futuremathsprof

Aug 30, 2018

Why do some teachers speak to their colleagues like that? That is so unprofessional. She could have just said something to the effect of, “I’m sorry, but I’m busy at the moment. Can you come back later?”

10. futuremathsprof

Aug 30, 2018

I actually love Judge Judy, so you get a thumbs up!

11. futuremathsprof

Aug 30, 2018

For even lengthy emails, it takes me no more than a minute to read them. For a brief comment, it should take no more than a few seconds.

I don’t get worked up over minutia that I perceive to be not worth stressing over. Yes, it can be irritating to receive emails in quick succession back to back, but getting worked up over something like this, to me, is silly.

This reminds me of when one of my colleagues didn’t like how someone in the staff lounge arranged their unopened mini soda-can in the back of the refrigerator. It was far out of anyone’s way, but it was *so* important to complain about, I’m sure. I just walked up to them and gently said, “Does it really matter how it’s positioned in the grand scheme of things? Is it obstructing you from putting something away? No? Did it spill? No? Did it fall on you when you opened the door? No? So what’s the issue here?”

When my students gripe about minor things like this, I stop what I’m doing, face them, and say, “That’s not significant.” I then go about what I was doing as if they didn’t say anything.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018