Is this allowed?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissB123, Aug 22, 2018.

1. MissB123

MissB123 Rookie

Aug 22, 2018

I am fairly new to this district that I'm in, I worked in other districts before where they are very lenient. I sent out an e-mail to all of my colleagues and principal asking if they would like to go to a free teacher event. It's for after school hours on a weekend.

The principal emailed me back saying we need to talk about this.

Was I not allowed to invite my colleagues out? It is not a school function, I invited many of my friends + colleagues so I did not see that I needed permission such as a christmas party etc.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2018

What is ‘allowed’ can vary from school to school, administrator to administrator. Tread lightly until you know ‘the rules’. In the meantime, given that this was a teacher event, you’ve got enthusiasm for teaching and the best of intentions on your side. Let us know how the convo with P goes.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 22, 2018

If sent on your private email, it might have been OK. If sent on the school email, not OK.

Backroads likes this.
  5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 22, 2018

It does seem it was not OK in the OP's particular school, but people do it all the time via school email in my district. Sometimes it's even the admin sending it out. I think it varies by building so I don't think we can really answer this question as we don't know the building culture.

dgpiaffeteach likes this.
  6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 22, 2018

As a general rule, if you're sending something out to all staff, it should be something you've either already vetted by an administrator, or something directly related to the work you are doing in the school. If this were me, I would have just emailed it to my team and other teachers that I was friendly with... or skipped the email altogether and given them a paper copy of an invite.

Backroads and MissCeliaB like this.
  7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 22, 2018

This!

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 22, 2018

I had a teacher selling those Thirty-One bags via school email during contracted hours (while she should've been teaching). Had to have a chat with her. Not okay.

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2018

My school was clear that they did not want us to reply all or send something to the whole staff without getting it approved by admin. I honestly don't think what you did was bad though and would probably be normal at other schools. The school I student taught at did this a lot and my mentor teacher replied all a lot!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 22, 2018

I would welcome admin stepping in to shut those kind of invites down. I just ignore them, but would prefer not to receive them in the first place. While on the subject, though, I find my place of employment's constant fund raising emails just as annoying, and I know that there is nothing I can do about those besides using the delete button. I get fund raising, but by the time employees are hounded by mail and email, it does not make me feel very generous. (Sorry, my own little vent.)

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 22, 2018

No one would think twice about it here, but every school is different. I'm sure your P will let you know what their policy is. The only things I've ever seen us be told not to send out to the whole staff is anything political, which obviously makes sense.

otterpop likes this.
  12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 22, 2018

We have to have approval for anything sent out to the whole faculty.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 22, 2018

I hate reply all! Especially when people use reply all to say thank you! That's one of my biggest pet peeves!

14. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2018

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Backroads likes this.
  15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 22, 2018

Reply all is one of my biggest pet peeves too! When I have to send out a large email, I use BCC just so people can't reply all. I especially love when people reply all and really shouldn't be replying all given the content of the message!

16. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 22, 2018

This wouldn't be an issue in any of the three schools I've worked in. I can't imagine the level of micromanagement involved in saying that anything sent out to the whole staff has to be approved first! I mean, I worked for a complete nut job at my second school and even she didn't say that. At my first school and the school I currently work at, it's common to get things like happy hour invitations via the school email.

Even though it seems like a ridiculous policy to me, if the P says it's not allowed just say, "I'm sorry I didn't know the policy. Thank you for clarifying."

17. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Aug 22, 2018

I guess it depends on the school. At my school they regularly sound out invites for "book clubs" at the Mexican restaurant down the street. :)

otterpop likes this.
  18. flairpen

flairpen Rookie

Aug 23, 2018

We had one teacher who did this for every email we were sent last year.

19. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 23, 2018

We have almost 100 faculty/staff on our campus. If everyone sent information to the whole faculty/staff even once a week, that is a lot of e-mails. Instead, we email information to the principal, and she lets people know about the important stuff, by sending basically a digest each day that compiles all the information. I much prefer our system!

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  20. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 24, 2018

Is it really that big of a deal if someone thanks all of the staff members with reply all? Getting annoyed at that seems like a non-issue to me.

21. futuremathsprof

Aug 24, 2018

This seems like a real reason to get annoyed.

22. futuremathsprof

Aug 24, 2018

We have more than that many faculty/staff at my private school and we all conservatively use reply all. Again, this seems like a non-issue to me.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  23. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 24, 2018

The culture of every school is different. If it takes one minute to open and read each email, that's as much as an hour a week spent looking at emails. We prioritize our time differently.

24. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 24, 2018

Any updates on your conversation with your principal?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  25. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 24, 2018

Example from this week (an email to all vice principals from district office): Beginning of year data was due yesterday. Lots of schools have not submitted Forms A & B. Please scan and return this morning.

One of my colleagues used reply all to say thank you.

I get so many important emails throughout the day. The very last thing I want to do is have to open up and read an unnecessary email.

26. futuremathsprof

Aug 24, 2018

Can’t you just discard it or ignore it, then?

27. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 24, 2018

I still open and read all my emails--just in case they're important. I don't want to inadvertently miss something.

bella84 and SpecialPreskoo like this.
  28. futuremathsprof

Aug 24, 2018

Right, and that’s totally fine. We just use it seldomly. It’s not a constant thing, just once a week maybe, if that.

29. futuremathsprof

Aug 24, 2018

I like that work ethic, though. Very thorough.

30. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 24, 2018

I'm also realizing that many of us use social media the way others may use mass emails. Most of us have professional Twitter accounts, in addition to accounts for all of the clubs/sports we sponsor. So if we are promoting something school-related we usually do it by social media. If it's not school-related, we usually don't promote it at school. We are not allowed to do any side business sales or fundraisers for outside groups unless approved by the school. We have a faculty Google Classroom and Google Drive where we share instructional resources. We use email really only for instruction-related issues and announcements.

31. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 24, 2018

If you need to send a mass email, use BCC and then if someone hits REPLY ALL it won't go to all.

32. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 24, 2018

I think it really depends on the principal!
    I did this at my last school (invited/informed everyone to/of Red Robin's free burger night for teachers), and even the principal replied "how fun!"
    But I wouldn't dare do it at my current school (same district)

33. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 24, 2018

And that’s the opposite of my pet peeve - meaning I’m pleased with what you do. I cannot stand when someone doesn’t read their email and then acts as if they weren’t made aware of information. Drives me crazy. I read every single email I get, and I keep my inbox lean. I, too, hate when people clutter the inbox with a reply all thank you. Just send a thank you to the individual! The rest of us don’t need to read that.

34. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 25, 2018

And the rest of us ESPECIALLY don't need to read when three or four other butt-kissers respond with "yes, thank you!" after seeing the first thank you.

35. futuremathsprof

Aug 25, 2018

Wow, public schoolteachers are very bitter.

36. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 25, 2018

It's not a public school or even teachers in general thing. Stop trying to turn every discussion into public school v. private school. Most people in general don't like getting unnecessary emails that clog up the inbox. Teachers aren't unique in that way - regardless of what type of school they work in.

37. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 25, 2018

I'm only bitter because those damn private school teachers won't stop overgeneralizing.

38. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 25, 2018

I know at least 1 insurance company that is pressuring the districts and schools they insure to encourage teachers to not do group e-mails at school to non-sponsored school events. At least 1 insurance company I am aware of believes that if a teacher e-mails all staff at schools, "Hey let's go to this special teacher's event on Thursday after school" and there is a major car accident with injuries or a fatality, the school or district might get sued. Yes, it seems crazy, but in this lawsuit happy world, it is not unthinkable.

To OP, I think P is just being careful. I doubt she or he is upset at all. I am guessing meeting was more of just a reminder of a school policy.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  39. futuremathsprof

Aug 25, 2018

I can only speak about those teachers/admin who I speak with the most, who just so happen to be public school teachers/directors. Sometimes, it’s just constant snarkiness and pettiness about the slightest things, when these teachers/admin should just move on and focus on more important matters.

40. futuremathsprof

Aug 25, 2018

This is a valid reason and makes sense.

41. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 25, 2018

While you do have many good posts, I question this one. There are so many public school teachers and principals that have been so helpful to my teaching in this forum, that I cringe when I see them being cruelly stereotyped. Stereotypes and prejudice do little but help lead us to lies. You have shown you are an intelligent person through many good and helpful posts. Let's keep it positive and avoid the cheap shots.

czacza and bella84 like this.