Is this a reasonable request from a princpal?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Preschool0929, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2016

I also assumed you were an assistant principal. In this case, you need to look at the job description for your position. If the things your principal said you need to do that require staying late are part of it, then fine. If not, it seems to me that she might be seeing you as an "assistant principal" who is there to take up the slack.

Also, is the position "certificated" or "certificated management?" I've never heard of an instructional coach that was actually categorized as management. Coaches are generally "Teachers on Special Assignment" and have no supervisory duties. If that is the case, then you have contract with defined working hours.

2. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jun 28, 2016

Adminstrators in my district do work long hours. They are required to have one of them covering every athletic event that takes place within the building. Consistently leaving at 4 would simply not be a possibility, and I know that they usually arrive before 7 each morning.

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 28, 2016

My admin does usually arrive and leave at contract time. I'd say maybe 1 in 5 days a week they stay later than that.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2016

Instructional coaches in my district are teachers, not administrators. It's interesting to discover that this isn't the case everywhere.

MrsC likes this.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2016

I'm very surprised that instructional coaching is an admin job anywhere. The whole idea about coaching is that it is non-evaluative. Teachers need to feel safe seeking help. If the coach is an administrator, then that relationship of trust will be challenging to maintain.

6. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jun 28, 2016

I agree! The whole concept behind instructional coach is that you are there to help a teacher grow and not to evaluate them. I have asked questions of our instructional coaches, but I would be leery about approaching someone who had administrative status.

7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 28, 2016

Our coach is admin, and you're right, it does change things.

Then again, when I worked at a school where the coach technically wasn't admin, she was still treated and still acted as admin.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 28, 2016

That's how it was when I worked at a school with an instructional coach. She was treated like a god but had really bad suggestions. She was a total waste of our time but Heaven Forbid if we missed a meeting with her! I had a small cancer scare and had to take off. I had to stay after school one day for three hours while the coach gave her presentation to me privately. On that particular day I had to piece together a jigsaw puzzle while she watched. I never asked for her help, which threw a wrench in her plans. Even though she had removed a few pieces. It was supposed to be a lesson in inquiry-based learning and how to avoid "helping" but instead provide guiding questions. Total fail.

When it came time to evaluate the session in our professional development module, it was obvious which evaluation was mine because of the lesson. I got reamed out, even though it was all supposed to be anonymous, for giving a low score to the activity. She got really bossy and pissy with me from that day forward.

9. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 28, 2016

Those "anonymous" surveys are never actually anonymous I don't think. I'm sure it's so easy to tell who wrote what. And, it seems like it would have been more logical for her or someone to just videotape her original presentation or give you something to read, instead of spending 3 hours presenting it all just for you.

10. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jun 28, 2016

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. When I first applied, the position description seemed to just be supporting teachers in the classroom. The instructional coaches at my school work 8-4, are rarely in the classroom, and do not attend any of our after school activities. When I got to the interview, the principal said that she basically wanted me to be seen as the principal as well. I would be mentoring new teachers and responsible for teacher evaluations. She also said that I wouldn't have an office and she literally never wanted to see me because I should be in classrooms helping the entire day. It seemed strange, especially when there is a P, VP, and about 3 other admin that have varying titles and would be "above" me.

Anyways.....long story short, I've decided not to take the position. Even though it's exactly what I want professionally, my child is only little once, and I can't imagine spending his first year of life working 60+hours/week and missing so much time with him.

Backroads, Pashtun and otterpop like this.
  11. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jun 28, 2016

I think you are totally making the right decision. You can't go back and spend time with your children -- they are only young once. Sometimes as educators, we get so busy and tied-up helping everyone else's children, that we don't have time to spend with our own. I think you are making a wise choice. :)

12. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jun 28, 2016

Thanks :) It's so crazy because a few years ago (even last year) I would have jumped at this opportunity and thrown myself into working as many hours as I could. Now I have a 7 month old that I would so rather play with instead.

otterpop likes this.
  13. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2016

Education positions in general there should be an expectation of flexible hours. Yes there is a specified contract time, but often there are needs outside of those hours. This is for both teachers and administrators.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2016

Yeah, I think you made a great choice. Especially seeing that this was for an instructional coach position. Instructional coaches are typically separated from admin for a specific reason (which has already been discussed, so I won't go over that again). Given the job description, it sounds like a recipe for disaster (I can't see this role being favored by the teachers at that school)...Had you taken it, my guess is many teachers would be leary of you (as they likely will be of anyone who takes that position), and you would have found yourself very unhappy.

WindyCityGal606 and otterpop like this.
  15. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2016

I agree with Sarge on this. As a teacher, I wouldn't feel comfortable seeking help from someone who can evaluate me later.

teacherintexas likes this.