Is this a realistic fear?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MsTeckel, Sep 11, 2011.

1. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Sep 11, 2011

SO I've posted in the job forum a little bit ago about leaving my current job.

Currently Im a elementary special education teacher in a non-for profit day school for children with autism. I want out of this school for some reasons that I haven't figured out yet. Im not sure if its because Im tired of teaching or tired of teaching THERE. Lack of communication and consistency just sucks.

Anyway, I've been thinking for years trying to get into a public school before I ditch teaching all together. I am terrified of a public school...Im mostly afraid of not having a job after a year or getting canned after 3 years so they don't have to pay me tenure...is that a realist fear?

Also, We do IEPs different at my current school. Special education teachers do not run the IEP meetings, A quality assurance lady runs it. While I think I can handle that part, but it would take some getting used to. I would feel like Im a first year teacher all over again.

I've only taught at my current teaching job...so never been in a public school except for student teaching which I didn't have all the responsibilities that I should have had.

Should I just suck it up and apply or do I have realistic fears?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2011

I have no idea.

But you'll never know unless you try.

Worst case scenario-- in a year, or 3, you're looking for a job.

You're young, you're healthy, you're educated. You have a strong work ethic. You'll find something until the right thing comes along.

But what if THIS was that right thing and you didn't try?

4. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Sep 11, 2011

Like Alice said, we can't know. But if you are unhappy, why not try?

As for IEPs-- in my school, our spec. ed teachers run them. We stay pretty quiet unless spoken to or have something important to add.

5. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Sep 11, 2011

O I am a special education teacher...forgot to add that

6. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Sep 11, 2011

Oops! Sorry--I swear I even looked at your sub-title. :confused:
    Either way--I think you'll be ok with the IEP. Do you still write them and the QA person just runs through it during the meeting?

Check out your options-maybe talk to some friends or aquaintances who teach in public schools and get their feedback. Or make a pros and cons about staying where you are vs. trying something new and see if that helps you work through your feelings.

Above all- Good luck!! :)

7. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Sep 11, 2011

I write the goals and objectives, but the quality assurance ladies do all the other part of it. I catch on pretty quick...the IEPs aren't my biggest worry :)