Is this a big deal?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by flowerpower31, Aug 10, 2010.

1. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Aug 10, 2010

I have a Cricut and I just used it to do the letters for my Word Wall. After I got them all cut and laminated them (ugh), I realized the font may be an issue because it's not "normal" font (by that I mean that it's not Zaner-Bloser or any other font the kids are taught to write in); it's a "fun" font. Should I re-do them in normal font or do you think it's okay this way?

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2010

Is it easy to read?

I know kids should be exposed to all sorts of fonts... however I am not sure about that since it's the word wall.

I guess I'm no help

4. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Aug 10, 2010

It's easy to read, I think, but I don't know...I tried finding a pic of it on-line and I couldn't find one. It's just basically the regular letters but with extra lines on the ends of each line on the letter....like "A" and "K" look like this:
    _
    /\
    /--\
    _/_ \_

_ _
    | /
    |/
    |\
    _| \_

They're also kinda slanted/curvy, but I don't know how to make them look like that on here....

5. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Aug 10, 2010

blah...forget it...I can't type them...lol

6. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2010

Lol. You did a much better job of typing that than I could have! lol.

I think I can get a visual of the extra lines on the letters.

I am curious to read other responses.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2010

I guess does it look like any other text they may come across.
    I would probably ask another teacher at your school to see what they think.

8. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 10, 2010

I think you should change it. The only reason I say this is because I volunteered in a classroom making word wall letters and I was told specifically the size and the font to use. They would not let me use anything else.
    The teacher said the students need to learn to read the original print since they are just learning to read and write and other fonts will confuse them.

I just use standard punch out letters from stencils.

I wonder what others will say as well.

9. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Aug 10, 2010

This is what I figured. I knew I should change them, but I was hoping that if enough people say it's not a big deal then I'd just go with it and keep them. I really wish I had noticed this BEFORE I took the time to run the Cricut and then laminate them. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice! :)

10. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 10, 2010

I'm sure its not time wasted. There will be another use for them in the future. Maybe in a writing center toward the end of the year or something.

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2010

I wouldn't get rid of them. It is good that the students see other text. I know they are learning to read, but they need to be exposed to it. Could you use it for a bulletin board or something & have the students look for different ways letters look. Could be a fun family homework!!! Have them look in magazines, newspapers or whatever. What a good way to get them to look at the text around them!!!

12. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Aug 11, 2010

That's a good idea. I'm planning to keep them, so maybe I'll use them for that. Thanks!

Thanks, VAN, too!

13. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Aug 11, 2010

I hate when you type stuff and then it deletes itself!! We teach D'nealian or however you spell it here. I didn't know that and I bought an alphabet that was the zaner bloser one I believe. My word wall is also not D'nealian, but is kind of a font that is in between the two. I am not changing either one, because I think students should be exposed to all kinds of print. I also think that D'nealian is kind of old fashioned and silly to teach when they don't have to really use it after second grade. But, I don't get any say in that!

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2010

No problem. When I taught first I always tried to send home a monthly family fun homework... to get everybody at home involved the students LOVED this!!! That's why I thought you could do something with it. It would be fun to see what they find & think is neat looking.

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 11, 2010

I would leave them how you made them. You are in first grade. They should recognize all their letters by now. I teach fancy A, G and k in kindergarten. Just so if they are exposed to them they will recognize the letter. I do believe my word wall also has cute font.

16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2010

I had my words on like an irradescent looking wrapping paper & I had a couple teacher's who said they liked it & I remember one saying Oh you can't do that. I left it & the students loved it!!!

17. ilovetoread

ilovetoread Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

I don't see it as an issue at all...kids need exposure to all kinds of fonts. Many children's books use special fonts! I'd keep it. :)

18. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Aug 13, 2010

I think it's ok to use for your word wall letters, as long as the whole alphabet you have in your room (maybe above the chalkboard or whatever) is demonstrating the correct program your school uses, whether Zaner-Bloser or D'Nealean.

19. TryingMyBest

TryingMyBest Rookie

Aug 19, 2010

i know my son would defently try to write just like they are showen to him. That might be confusing for little ones. I would stick to the same font they know.