Is there such a thing as "second round" interviews?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Dare2Teach, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Dare2Teach

Dare2Teach Rookie

Jun 16, 2018

Hello, everyone. This is Dare2Teach. I hope everyone is having a fantastic summer, so far, and for those of you nearing the end of the school year, I hope you have a wonderful summer, as well.

Anyway, I have created this thread because I have a question that I want to ask regarding job interviews.

Last Monday, the 11th of June, I applied for a Paraprofessional position at a local elementary school in my area. This Paraprofessional position was for the school's computer lab, and there would also be some tutoring in Reading and Math for grades Kindergarten-5th Grade that went along with the position, as well.

I applied for the position, as I met all of the qualifications for the position, and I thought it was a perfect position for someone like me. When I was done applying, I called the school to make sure my application was received. My application was received, and I was told that callbacks for the position would happen that same week. Keep in mind that this position was posted on the SAME DAY I applied.

While I waited for a callback, I called and emailed the Principal of the school to let her know of my interest in the position. When I tried to call her, though, I had to leave a voice message.

I got a reply from my email to the Principal this past Thursday (when interviews were going to be conducted), and she told me that while I was not selected for a first round interview, there could be a chance I get called for a second round interview IF there was not a fit for the position from the first round of interviewees. She did, however, commend me for my passion for wanting to work with children.

When I think of a "second round interview", I think of another interview that you go to if you make it past the first interview.

However, in THIS case, I'm assuming that a "second round interview" is where other applicants who were not selected the first time around get a chance to be interviewed.

Is there really such a thing as a "second round interview", though, when it comes to MY situation? I hate to be pessimistic, but I have a feeling that I may not get selected for an interview, because someone from the first round of interviews may have already been selected for the position.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

- Dare2Teach

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2018

Second round, in the context you present, would mean that their top picks didn't accept the school's offer of employment, were hired somewhere else. If it helps, think of it as being wait listed.

Dare2Teach and futuremathsprof like this.
  4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 16, 2018

I have definitely seen cases where a job was reposted because none of the candidates selected for an interview were the right fit.

bella84 and Dare2Teach like this.
  5. Dare2Teach

Dare2Teach Rookie

Jun 16, 2018

Thank you to those of you that have posted. I really appreciate the feedback, and it keeps me from being discouraged.

As for you, cat, if you wouldn't mind, would you give me an example of a time you saw a job being reposted because candidates were not the right fit?

If you cannot give me an example because of something controversial, such as personal information, then that is fine with me; I would just like for you to give me an example of a time this happened, if you can.

Thank you in advance!

- Dare2Teach

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 16, 2018

We have used second round interviews when our first round of interviews either didn't give us a candidate we wanted or our top candidate did not accept the offer.

7. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Jun 16, 2018

My current position was re-posted twice before my school hired anyone. I don't think there was any crazy reason behind it, they just didn't get any candidates they liked until I popped up in their 3rd go-round. I don't remember how it came up but a co-worker who was on the initial interview committees was just telling me the other day how poorly most of the previous applicants came across. Sometimes, if they have time, schools will just take the time for what they feel is a really good fit.

Dare2Teach likes this.
  8. Dare2Teach

Dare2Teach Rookie

Jun 16, 2018

Just so you know, I have already been through TWO interviews in the district where I applied for the position. Both of the interviews were for Paraprofessional positions, and while I did not get the positions, I WAS in the first round of interviews for these positions (I think). Someone else ended up getting the positions in both situations, and I never saw the positions posted again on the job bulletin.

Also, the district where I applied sometimes has a habit of posting jobs, and never taking any jobs down where someone has already been hired for that certain position.

For example, I applied for a "Vision Paraprofessional" position a few months ago, and recently emailed the district about the position, and my application status. As it turned out, interviews were conducted this week, and the position was filled. I was not selected for an interview, and while the position was taken, the job is still up on the bulletin, last time I checked.

I guess I'm just over-thinking this, but I guess what I am trying to say is that there may not be a second round, because the employers seem to find that special someone during the first round interviews. I won't give up hope, though.

- Dare2Teach

9. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2018

It does happen, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. Obviously, keep applying anywhere else you can. When I was hired for my current job, they'd done 2 rounds of interviews already and didn't select any of the candidates they interviewed. I was hired in the third round. That said, I hadn't applied yet when they did the first 2 rounds, so it's not like they skipped over my application and then finally chose to bring me in with the 3rd round. I would think your chances would be smaller since they had your application but chose not to interview you for the first round.

bella84 and Dare2Teach like this.
  10. Dare2Teach

Dare2Teach Rookie

Jun 18, 2018

I just want to give another huge thanks to everyone who has replied to my thread. I really appreciate your feedback/answers.

I forgot to mention this in my original post, but after I received a reply to my email from the principal, I replied to her back, and thanked her for the reply.

In addition, I also wished her luck in finding someone for the position, and also wished her luck in the upcoming school year. I finished the email off with the school district's motto, and a "Go (the team name/mascot of the school)!".

Do you think that was okay for me to do? I was just showing her how grateful I was to receive a reply from her, and how much spirit I would have for the school, and for the district.

Thank you in advance for those of you that give me feedback.

- Dare2Teach

11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 18, 2018

It sounds a little overboard to me, but I'm not sure that it's really that big of a deal. In the future, I think a simple "Thank you for your reply. Please keep me in mind for future openings." would suffice.

Dare2Teach likes this.
  12. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2018

Far better than a bitter tirade about how you would have been the best choice. I think it is fine.

Dare2Teach likes this.
  13. Dare2Teach

Dare2Teach Rookie

Jun 25, 2018

Hi, everyone. This is Dare2Teach.

Once again, I want to thank everyone for their replies on this thread.

A few days ago, I sent another email to the Principal of the school where I applied, asking her for an update on the position. She sent me a reply this morning, telling me that they were in the process of making a recommendation. She also thanked me for my interest in the position. This is all she said in the email.

What does she mean when she says they are "making a recommendation"?

Are they making a letter of recommendation for someone, are they making a recommendation for someone who should be the perfect fit for the position from the first round of interviews, etc.? And is this a good or a bad thing on my part?

I am just confused, and I do not think I need to reply to her email, asking her what she means.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

- Dare2Teach

14. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 25, 2018

She means that they are in the process of making a recommendation to the board of education about who they think should be hired. It may or may not be you. She can’t tell you anything yet until it is officially approved by thre school board or, at least, HR. If you haven’t heard anything up til this point, it’s probably not you.

Dare2Teach likes this.
  15. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2018

Like Bella said, this means they are recommending someone to the board to fill the position. I have to say though, since you didn't actually interview for the position, there is no way it's you- sorry :(. Time to move on and stop contacting this principal.

bella84 likes this.
  16. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 26, 2018

Oh yeah, I forgot from the earlier posts that you didn’t interview. Vacation brain... In that case, it’s definitely not you. I agree that you should no longer contact the principal.