Is there such a thing as a teacher black list?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by need help, Jul 17, 2006.

1. need help

need help Rookie

Jul 17, 2006

I am unable to even get an interview withing a 45 mile radius of where I live. The school I did my student teaching in and many does of subbing won't even hire me as a Para. How do you go about finding out what the problem is. I have asked this administration. They will not be honest with me. I am ready to give up on this dream of teaching. I can't pay bills with wishes.:(

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 17, 2006

Are you sure there are jobs available?

4. Pooh42

Pooh42 Companion

Jul 17, 2006

Don't give up! Make sure you have everything in order. Are you sure you have passed all necessary tets etc? It took me a while to find a job. My first job was 45 miles away, then I had to go a hour away. Just keep pounding the pavement. If it is what you really want hold on to your dream.
    Pooh42

5. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Jul 17, 2006

This is unexcusable!!! They owe you an explanation. I recommend going to your university advisor to help you find out what went wrong. If that does nothing I would file a grievance with the university and recommend that they not send students to that school again. Your University should be on your side. It reflects poorly on them if their graduates can't get jobs.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. I don't know about a black list but I subbed for 4.5 years before I finally got a job (for next fall). I feel your pain. It was a long journey. I'll be honest I know that it was worth it. I learned a lot in the process and know that I am much better prepared now (I thought I was ready then but I now know I wasn't) and have found a great school, with great kids, parents and staff. I'll pray that this turns around for you soon. Promise me you won't let the process make you bitter (just better!). Take it all in stride.

Best Wishes!

6. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jul 18, 2006

In some areas there is most certainly a blacklist. I'm not saying you are on it - I 'm just saying there is one. I have known 2 teachers now to get on the blacklist and it wasn't pretty.

I agree witht he previous poster who said you should go to your university and get to the bottom of this. School districts are not supposed to have a blacklist so being a squeeky wheel will sometimes work to free something up for you.

Best of luck.

~J

7. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Jul 18, 2006

This might not apply but another thing is that sometimes other applicants may just have more experience. I found out that many of the jobs I'd applied for over the last few years I'd been up against a teacher with a lot more experience then I. She'd had several uncontinuing contracts but they knew her and liked her work. In WA we have retire rehires. They are teachers who are collecting retirement but can continue working. They must reapply for their jobs each year. I don't totally understand it but basically if they do a good job they will be always be rehired. A school won't gamble with a teacher who is an unknown when they know the work of the retired teacher. In these instances the schools may tailor their selection process. For instance at my school they created interview questions that were somewhat specific to their school so that the interviewee they wanted would most likely answer the question the best. Sneaky but it happens.