Is there still some hope to get a job since the school already start?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mayaly, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Mayaly

Mayaly Rookie

Sep 9, 2009

Is there still some hope to get a teaching job since the school already started?

3. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Sep 9, 2009

Yep! There have been many on this forum who were hired after the school year started. Keep the faith...

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 9, 2009

Yes! After schools do their numbers, they have until October 1st to be complient with ratios. Our district is looking for a kindergarten teacher right now.

5. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Sep 9, 2009

Yes...in fact I was hired last week at a year round school (started on July 22). The teacher I'll be replacing resigned last Thursday afternoon. :)

6. MsFranks

MsFranks Rookie

Sep 9, 2009

I am also searching.. I have went on two interviews in two days.. so hopefully I will join the ranks of others who were hired after the school year began!

7. Bseballchick

Bseballchick Rookie

Sep 9, 2009

I was going to post a similar thread today...I'm so depressed. Here in CA, there are simply zero openings. I check every morning and again every afternoon. I'm not getting any interviews because there aren't any positions to apply to! I kept holding out some hope, even though I've been investigating jobs outside teaching. I now think that there just isn't going to be anything, since schools started here several weeks ago. The problem is-I can't seem to find any other jobs that I qualify for, either! Really frustrating and depressing...

8. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Sep 9, 2009

Bseballchick I had a dream that I had to go back to working in corporate America because I couldn't find a teaching job. It was really sad.

9. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Sep 9, 2009

No jobs here! But keep your eyes open for LTS positions.

10. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Sep 9, 2009

I just got my first interview and school started almost 6 weeks ago.

11. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Sep 9, 2009

Well my dream job just got posted today, and school started a week ago. So I sure hope so!!!

Good luck!

12. teacher1976

teacher1976 New Member

Sep 9, 2009

I am in the same boat too...I did it to myself by resigning in spring of 08 after my first teaching job, but I thought I would find another job closer....I was WRONG! I subbed last year, and here it is Sept. of 09, STILL NO JOB! It is very depressing, and I look everyday too. I taught 6th grade science, and had several reasons why I left. I am now looking at medical/research jobs which is what I did before, but I need a job! I know I am not the only one in this 'boat', but I just need some positive thoughts. I even took the EC-4 test in the Spring to be more marketable but didn't pass it....ugh....I like elem. a lot, but I like my Science more and like sixth=seventh grade!

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 10, 2009

Heather HOPE you hear something positive back. I am sure that you will ROCK your interview!:)

14. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 10, 2009

What part of Texas are you in? They did some massive hirings in the DFW area this year. Hope you find something soon. There is supposed to be some new middle school construction next year. You need to find where they are building and apply, apply, apply!:):)

15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 10, 2009

And yes, new hires are still happening all over. My first job - I was hired two weeks after the school year began. You never know when an LTS job will turn permanent too!

16. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Sep 10, 2009

I feel the same here in Canada. Four years of teaching and still surplus. I'm on a recall list, but I'm number 37 out of 66 people--very discouraging. There's nothing worse that waiting and having no control over what happens. This is my second year on the recall list and if I don't get called back on a permanent position by the end of next year, I lose all of my seniority and everything I've worked for will be for nothing, so I'm quite nervous, even though I still have two years to go before that happens.

17. Mayaly

Mayaly Rookie

Sep 10, 2009

what does LTS stand for?

18. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Sep 10, 2009

Long Term Sub

19. teacher1976

teacher1976 New Member

Sep 10, 2009

I am in Wylie (near Plano), and I don't know about "mass" hirings to be honest...IN fact there was a news article about how school districts have cut their hirings in HALF around here! But yes, I do need to keep applying. I can't be a sub in Wylie again until Jan. thanks for the help!

20. ~Nic~

~Nic~ Rookie

Sep 10, 2009

Hi there! Where are you located? I know a new program in Elk Grove that is trying to get off the ground in Special Ed. Let me know if you are close to this area.

21. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 10, 2009

I have NEVER gotten a job before the start of the school year. I've always been hired after it started. It does happen.

22. Mayaly

Mayaly Rookie

Sep 10, 2009

when you send resume to the school principal, do you think the secretary will directly pass it to the principal or the secretary will just screen it for the principal? That means if she thinks it is good enough then she will pass the resume to the principal?

23. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Sep 10, 2009

I know you aren't asking me but I do think the secretary does pass the resume's off to the P. If anything, I would the the AP would screen...

24. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2009

I think it depends on the level of professionalism between the prinicipal and secretary and their relationship. I'm sure some principals let their secretary screen resumes.

25. Mayaly

Mayaly Rookie

Sep 10, 2009

:pThank you.

26. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2009

Mayaly~I'm about to add 5 teachers names to the 2009 job thread...and all of them were hired after the school year started.

27. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 11, 2009

Our kindergarten position is filled, but we now have a 2nd grade position open.

28. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 11, 2009

There's lots of hope. I just got back from a job interview myself. I think this year, more than ever there's hope because with budget cuts being so severe in many areas, districts really are waiting until the year has already started to see and make adjustments for their needs, etc. You just never know so keep your head up! :)

29. Mayaly

Mayaly Rookie

Sep 11, 2009

;)

30. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 12, 2009

There are six new job postings (non-LTS) in my district... there is definitely hope!

31. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Sep 12, 2009

I went to a sub orientatin this week for a very small district. I was completing my paperwork, but most of the other people were leaving. The superintendent came and sat down in the chair right next to me and asked me some questions about the areas I wanted to sub in. I told him and also told him that I'm in an ACP program and looking for a position. He told me he's getting the numbers in and will probably be hiring some new teachers, probably 4th, may prek and K. I told him I would be interested in the 4th grade. So, it looks like we may see some openings within the next few weeks. I don't know what to think about him sitting next to me. That was a little different, not strange, but I did wonder why. They also will be having some LTS positions, so I'm hoping I can get one of those at least. I subbed at our High school this week and one of the AP teachers took my name. She's needing a sub for a week in October, so hopefully I can get enough work. I've signed up in 4 districts and my son's private school.

32. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2009

suzerich, awesome! I'm sure he was there scoping out the talent! ;)