Is there hope for me?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CowlyHole, Jun 21, 2017.

1. CowlyHole

CowlyHole Rookie

Jun 21, 2017

Hey everyone!
    I just completed my first year of teaching. About a year ago I posted that I got hired to teach at a small, rural school. Well, less than a month before school started, my position was rescinded (I have no idea why).
    I ended up in the biggest school district around here, cutting my commute in half. I ended up teaching high school English.
    Now, I know that first years are usually awful (so say many of the teachers)..but let me tell you, my first year was AWFUL.
    My mentor would yell at me when I would do things that were "incorrect". I had an AP yell at me in front of a kid, that I haven't done anything about classroom management all year..so I can't expect to start now.
    I'm not saying that I was perfect, but I think after a certain point, my school gave up on me. And because my contract was only for that year, they did not really care about me. For example, the last time I was observed was November. And trust me, I tried to get the principal and my AP in to see me!
    I learned a lot. I learned a lot about what not to do and things that I would like to do, including speaking up!

But I'm wondering, will I be able to get another job?
    I'm currently preparing to take the middle school Math Praxis test, and I'm hoping that will help me. But will having a less than stellar first year really hurt me?
    I've always wanted to teach and I'm not ready to give up yet. Ultimately I know that it was my horrible classroom management that really set in to motion much of what I experienced.

So please, is there any way that I will have a teaching job this Fall, or should I just pack it in?

3. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Jun 21, 2017

I certainly wouldn't give up just yet. Find some positions you are interested in, apply, give it your best shot, and see where you are.

Do you have someone from your previous school, perhaps a coworker in your department who has seen you teach, that could provide a reference? Also be prepared to be asked why you are not in your previous position. You certainly don't want to be dishonest, but work on some ways to spin it in the best light. School wasn't a good fit, but you were able to learn a lot, etc. I think if you can address weaknesses (you mentioned classroom management, for example) and be direct about how you have worked to improve in this area and show that you can be receptive to feedback that will help. But, truly, you won't know for sure until you try!

Edited to add- I just reread your post and saw that you were last observed in November? Did you have an end of the year/summative evaluation with an admin? For ours, we have the opportunity to address any comments in our evaluations, and that definitely would have been the time to note that you sought more feedback and did not get the support you should have as a first year teacher.

4. CowlyHole

CowlyHole Rookie

Jun 21, 2017

I had a summative evaluation, and my AP told me that he would be back in to observe me. Instead, I filled out my evaluation based on how I felt I did, and we went over it.
    My previous position was only for one year, so I do not feel as if I have to hide anything. That's just the way it was unfortunately.
    I do plan on applying everywhere, I'm just nervous that I might not get anything. Especially if I can't get anyone from the school to act as a reference.

5. CowlyHole

CowlyHole Rookie

Jun 21, 2017

I definitely have, thank you!
    I learned so much from the last year and I will not take that for granted.

6. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jun 21, 2017

I was non-reelected my first year as well. Like you, I thought my career was over. It actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I was able to get a job in another district. I love my new district and hope to retire there. It sounds like this might be a good thing for you as well. (I know it doesn't feel like it though) Reflect on your experience at your old site. What things did you do that really worked? What things did you do that tanked, and things did you learn or see being done that you want to try? Gather your Letters of Recommendation, update your resume and get out there and apply. There is still time. I too taught High School English my first year. This past year I moved down to middle school English. I thought I would hate it, turns out I love it. Middle School is great for sharpening your classroom management. Keep your head up! There is more out there!
    Goodluck

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2017

Were you offered resign in lieu of non renewal?

8. CowlyHole

CowlyHole Rookie

Jun 21, 2017

I knew going in that my contract was only for the year, so it had nothing to do with my performance. I don't know if I can get letters of recommendation though because my year was so rough. If I didn't would that really hurt me?
    I heard that around here it's a teacher's market. I hope that's true.
    And it's funny you mention middle school, that's what I've always wanted to teach! I love that age group! My tenth graders had a lot of personality, but I don't think I'd want to go any higher (of course, I'd take whichever job I was offered). Middle school is definitely where I want to be, though.

9. CowlyHole

CowlyHole Rookie

Jun 21, 2017

I went into it this year knowing that my contract was only for one year. I was told at my end of year meeting (in March) that if I wanted to work at that school again, I'd have to reapply like anyone else.
    But, I had a rough year and I don't know how much that will end up hurting me.

10. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 21, 2017

I think you are in pretty good shape. My first job was also one-year only, and declining enrollment was the (true) response I gave when asked why I wasn't returning. If temporary contracts are used in your area, the people interviewing will totally understand the situation. I do think you need to nail a reference down right away, maybe a different AP than the yeller or maybe a department head.

11. CowlyHole

CowlyHole Rookie

Jun 22, 2017

I was thinking of getting someone from the school that was more of a mentor to me than my actual mentor..but she had told me earlier in the year that she wouldn't be a reference for me because I wasn't any good. I'm hoping if I demonstrate growth that maybe she will.

12. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jun 22, 2017

If I were you, I would try and get someone like: Department Chair, a veteran teacher, or even a counselor to write you a Letter of Rec. It my be worth asking your Principal or AP for a letter. Admin letters tend to carry more weight in my experience.

As others have said, be up front about your position being a temporary spot.

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 22, 2017

What have the applications you've filled out asked for? All applications I've filled out request current/last supervisor's contact information.

14. CowlyHole

CowlyHole Rookie

Jun 28, 2017

They have asked for that, but more in general. For each position it would ask that.