Is there anything you hate teaching?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 10, 2010

Nothing in particular comes to mind except one novel that I started and absolutely hated. It was my own fault, I didn't read the whole thing first. :whistle: I had enough copies in my classroom from a retiring teacher that I thought I'd give it a try. The novel was The Trumpet of the Swan. Never again! :blush:

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2010

I have my favorite units, but I don't actually hate anything I teach.

4. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2010

Hmm... not teaching, but I hate to grade math fact tests and writing. They are the worst!

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2010

LOL..I absolutely despise that novel! Too much descriptive writing....bores me to tears! :crosseyed

I hate teaching Science and am happy to say I no longer need to. At least not with the job i have now! I just don't like setting up and cleaning up labs and stuff. I'm not patient enough for that.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 10, 2010

And it just went on and on and on and on and nothing ever happens.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2010

Early Brit Lit, and it is on the required curriculum for 12th grade. Hate it, hate it, hate it, and so do the kids.

I also could do without teaching research techniques. Boring.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 10, 2010

Funny, I love that stuff, at least Canterbury Tales. Unfortunately the school won't let me teach the dirty stuff. It would probably get their attention a lot more easily. On the other hand, I am extremely NOT fond of Dickens. It takes all of my willpower to keep from steering students away from his work as their independent reading.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2010

My senior English teacher DID teach the dirty stuff. I was in AP English, and we read more than the other classes did. I was shocked at The Canturbury Tales and Leaves of Grass. :confused::eek::blush:

I don't really care for early American literature. Not enough sex in it. :lol:;)

10. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 10, 2010

I never liked teaching writing. But I am a librarian now so I will focus on reading instead!

11. Kteacher06

Kteacher06 Companion

Jul 10, 2010

Columbus! He was not a great person and conducted many injustices, but when it's taught to the early grades, it's all "rainbows and butterflies", you know?

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 11, 2010

I always feel that way about Thanksgiving as well. I have to really edit history for the youngsters.

There isn't much I hate teaching-but when we have drug awareness week, I am so uncomfortable trying to explain that to my kids. They're just so little-and I know they are exposed to it, especially the area they are in-but it's hard for me to find the words to make them understand what drugs really are and why anyone would ever take them! I dread Red Ribbon Week.

Not that I'm "teaching" it, but I also hate the question of where meat comes from. They are so innocent-they haven't yet figured out that chicken nuggets actually come from chickens-and I don't want to be the one to have to break that news to them.

13. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jul 11, 2010

I'm not big on drawing but it's an essential skill in most cases so I do some of that type of thing. I dislike teaching value (shading) mainly because graphite gets on every thing and it's difficult to clean off.

14. HMM

HMM Cohort

Jul 11, 2010

That's an under statement.

I never quite understood that. The facts should be taught. If the students are too young to handle the truth then it should be taught when they are older.

15. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 11, 2010

Awwww.... that makes me think of the PETA stickers with the little chicken on it that says, "I am NOT a nugget!" :(

16. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 11, 2010

So, they wouldn't let you teach, say Richardson's Pamela

17. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2010

I taught it. lol. And then I got observed. Luckily my principal was pretty supportive. As he should be - it's part of the curriculum. If he doesn't like it, switch us to a world lit approach for seniors. Oh please, oh please.

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 11, 2010

I really hate teaching Julius Caesar. So last year I did Taming of the Shrew instead, and my kids loved it!

19. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 11, 2010

When I taught third grade, there was a science unit on soil. I HATED it!

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2010

There's nothing that I hate teaching, but there are things I LOVE teaching. I tend to go more 'in depth' with the content/topics that excite me and the kids.

21. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 11, 2010

For our math curriculum we have "math trays" and I despise them. Each child has a huge tray with all sorts of materials. I tried to organize the lessons and the materials many different ways, but I still dread doing them. Kids lose materials, and it's difficult for them to listen when they have a tray full of stuff to distract.

22. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jul 11, 2010

I hate teaching health, because it always led to questions I wasn't comfortable answering. I haven't had to in a long time (since I was subbing), but I HATED it.

23. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 11, 2010

I thought I'd pass this link along if you haven't heard it. It's about people already being where Columbus landed.
    http://www.songsforteaching.com/nancyschimmel/columbus1492.htm

I just brush on musicals with my 5th graders. I like putting them on...but dislike watching and listening to most of them. I feel it is cruel and unusual punishment. :p

24. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2010

Vertex edge graphing. It was something I had never seen or heard of until I read the standards this year.

My wonderful teammate was showing me for the seventeenth time, the morning I was supposed to teach it, after I'd spent all weekend with those darn pages trying to figure them out, and I wanted to cry!

(Thankfully, my kids did fine on the activities, enjoyed them, and didn't seem to realize that I could not wrap my brain around it!)

25. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2010

What I hated about teaching was every "brand new" idea for teaching was pushed on us... I should say repackaged instead of "brand new".
    You could be teaching and have the students in the palm of your had and some "know it all" consultant with maybe only 3 or 4 years of classroom experience under their belt will tell you "you are not doing it right."
    From Madeline Hunter (1916–1994) to NCLB people are making it a cottage business.

One problem most "brand new" programs only teach to (Using Blooms Taxonomy 1956) the Cognitive domain where as I taught in the Psychomotor domain ,being a shop teacher, (Bloom never created subcategories for skills in the Psychomotor domain but Simpson did in 1972) many evaluators only knew the Cognitive domain so I would have to rewrite the WHOLE lesson to conform to what THEY knew not what the students could understand in a hands on subject.
    :soapbox:
    heck the first time I used Hunter, trying to be "Hunterized", I tried to look up the words "Anticipatory Set" to see what they really meant in a lesson plan.......could not find a definition but it was used a lot.

"I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions." (Kung Fu 1972)

http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/hrd/bloom.html

Also Administrators that require (mandate) ONLY one kind of lesson plan format.

26. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 11, 2010

I fear teaching physics and chemistry. I love the elements and memorized the periodic table in a heartbeat, but I'm not very good at the combinations. Physics just boggles my mind. I will work really hard when it's time to teach it (part of the pain of teaching third through fifth-you get to everything at some point), but it will be rough.

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2010

Dave, on the subject of "the new way":

In about 1980, NY decided that traditional math (you know, the math that the REST OF THE WORLD TEACHES) shoudl be thrown out. The students of NY state would learn what was then known as Sequential Math.

Light on verbal problems, very light on proofs, totally disorganized, very, very VERY big on fluff.

After about 20 years, they realized that giving a state wide Regents exam on 3 courses was expensive. So they repackaged it into Math A and Math B. Even more disorganized if you can believe it, very light on verbal problems and proof, and still very very big on fluff.

In the past 4 or 5 years, NY has FINALLY come to realize that our kids were competing for scholarships and college spots and money with kids from THE REST OF THE WORLD who had had real math.

So, after a 30 year experiment, we're getting back to traditonal math.

The problem, of course, is that there are a couple of generations of people (including MATH TEACHERS) who went through the experiment and know very little math. And now they're being asked to teach it.

yeah, it's lots of fun.

I agree czacza. I don't hate any part of high school math, but there are some chapters I really look forward to. Off the top of my head: verbal problems in Algebra, Proofs and circles in Geometry, most of Trig, Matrices and linear programing in Precalc and Derivatives by Definition in Calc.

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2010

Deep breaths Jem.

It's 5th grade science. They're asking 11 year olds to know it. It's not that complicated.

29. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2010

Love the reference to Maroon Five's "rainbows and butterflies"...
    I teach the traditional Columbus and all those other European explorers but I also teach the Native American point of view. Exploration of the New World was actually a take over of an existing world. I want them to know that and to understand that all history has more than one side but only one side is chosen for elementary school curriculum. I want them to develop a curiosity and to ask questions. I explain why it's one-sided and I let them express their feelings. We have some good talks in the fifth grade. I want them to be prepared for junior high when they will start learning the real story behind a lot of what they've been taught.

30. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2010

I love science, but I look at the sixth grade science content and can't believe how advanced it is compared to my sixth grade science. I'm afraid a huge percentage of our students don't actually grasp it...

31. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jul 11, 2010

I forget where you are, JustMe, but here in CA our 6th grade standards cover plate tectonics! In detail! I didn't learn about that until college. In my district, 6th grade is self-contained, so the teachers don't have any particular science background. Most of them choose to not teach any science (and the admin backs them up on not teaching it). Which makes it fun for us 7th grade teachers when we get to the Earth history unit!

So back to the topic on this thread... I like all of the topics in my curriculum, but some are definitely more difficult to teach because of the way the standards spiral through the grades. If the previous teachers don't teach science, it's pretty difficult to teach 7 years of science all at once in 7th grade!

32. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 11, 2010

I really dislike teaching plate tectonics. It starts off interesting with earthquakes but the rest of the unit is just boring. Once they understand the concept there is very little to do with it. It also happens around February and March when we all need a break

33. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 11, 2010

I thought about it....there's really nothing in History I dislike teaching.

34. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 11, 2010

Totally agree :D My students often "mock" me because I think I begin every unit with "this is my favorite part!"

35. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2010

Writing *shudders*

I am a very logical, mathematic, concrete person. I have always been a very good writer myself, but I have difficulty explaining something so vague and inconsistent. There isn't a right or wrong (well, there can be wrongs, LOL), so I get frustrated.

36. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2010

I am also the same way with all social studies. And math.

37. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 11, 2010

Ditto! I feel the same, about writing and reading. I find it difficult to help a student edit their writing. I fight the urge to just tell them what to write.

And rocks. Students have literally been learning about rocks since the third grade, and are so bored with it. So I get bored. We don't really have a place that is accessible to our school to search for rocks, and once you've looked at the few samples we have at school, what after that? Boring!

I used to really dislike earthquakes because of the disconnect for students in Nebraska, but I forced myself to learn more about earthquakes and now it is actually one of my favorite topics! Maybe I should research rocks...

38. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2010

I really despise teaching physical science to my middle schoolers. I teach special ed. It's too abstract for them, I have them for high school too, and they do a lot better when it's introduced in high school.

Also, I really dislike teaching a lot of history, and long division.

I love teaching reading and science :)

39. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2010

Sure, you TOUCH on lots of concepts at some point, but you probably don't have to get as in depth as you fear. Memorizing the periodic table is kind of like memorizing the ABCs- a fun exercise but it's the APPLICATION of that information that is true understanding. You could do some great hands on experiments with your students in chem and physics without getting into formulas and math that they really aren't ready for. Keep it fun and developmentally appropriate and be mindful of your state standards of learning.

Here's some cool chemistry ideas to get you started:
    http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistryforkids/tp/kidprojects.htm

Go to the bottom of this link to 'demonstrations' for some physics ideas:
    http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/explore/physics.htm

40. CanukTeach

CanukTeach Companion

Jul 12, 2010

French Immersion is definately not my favourite. I teach in a small school and we often teach outside our subject area. If I got to teach just my subject there would never be anything I didn't enjoy - I'm qualified to teach: geography, history, English.

But I have taught: geography, history, English, French, art, gym, math and the list goes on. Fortunately, I only taught FI for one year (I gave it a try because I was the only person who could teach it) and realized it wasn't for me. It isn't the French, its the politics (parents, students who didn't want to be in FI who were forced there by parents, etc) that I couldn't stand by the end of it.

41. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2010

Atoms, elements, protons, neutrons, molecules, etc.--I thought it was bad trying to teach it to 5th graders, and then I moved down to third grade! It's very difficult to get them to wrap their heads around such an abstract concept...