Is there anything worse than a bad day subbing?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by McKennaL, Jan 21, 2010.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jan 21, 2010

.....**I*** can't think anything (of course tongue in cheek - please let's not get our panties in a bunch!).

Today....

on the way home from this school I needed to get a double scoop of ice cream... in a freezing rain storm. And I'm not even a real FAN of ice cream.

Days like today make me POSITIVE that I do not want to REMAIN a sub. (If this is all I would ever get... I would change professions...even though this IS my gift.)

A R R R R G G G G G !!!!!!!

3. azure

azure Companion

Jan 21, 2010

So what brought this on?

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2010

Panties most definitely not in a bunch.

But I can think of lots worse than a bad day at any job.

But what happened?

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 21, 2010

Awwwwww..... how was the ice cream?

6. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 21, 2010

Speaking from the POV of having no job right now, a day of NO subbing is worse than a bad day of subbing. At least I will have some money for my troubles.

That being said, I've definitely had days that made me wonder what I was thinking when I took the Effective Teacher Training. :D

So tell us what happened that made it so bad.

7. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jan 21, 2010

Having to deal with kids with attitudes, and their... "it's a sub - I'll break her" mentality. "No one is going to rule THIS class...it's MINE! I'm the boss here."

The teacher had listed "keyboarding" at the end of the day. Hmmmm.. we HAD the computer special earlier...and I had to stick with them and aide there (no prob, I love technology). So I take them to the OTHER computer lab for keyboarding...only to find that there WAS no teacher there, and I was to do SOMETHING with them...no plans...just a LONG classroom (like a hallway one computer row deep, and 20 some kids). Having to deal with the boy i sent to the principal's office... (I have only sent 2 children to the principal's office for behavior EVER...and this boy was #2)...so I said... do we have keyboarding practice games on a link? they did... ok let's see how you do.

(No plans???? REALLY???? - in an area that, thank GOD, I COULD give direction...but what if I hadn't a clue???)

It's my first day back to day-to-day subbing (which I always hated) and next to the LTS I just came from...and they WERE an incredible class... THIS was ...miserable!

Another thing. Ok, so I am not fast. I don't think I'm SLOW, but i AM thorough. After subbing i straighten up the classroom (what pigs these kids were...and if this is the way they are ALLOWED to leave their rooms? I would have thought it was ONE child...but many of them were that sloppy!!)

but here I am... and I figure I would go say something to the principal about the boy-and how i was sorry to have to send him one.

It's 15 minutes after the last bell...and...

no principal, no asst. principal, no secretaries, no nurse, the ENTIRE office is dark (after 15 MINUTES!!!) And the staff is pouring out of the doors... not like to a district meeting (this school IS the only elementary in this district), just the day is over good-bye!

So, I return to my room, finish writing my notes, straighten a bit...I WOULD have done the grading of the things turned in that day...but it's (then) 40 minutes after the bell and I am there with ONLY the custodial staff and the park district after school kids in the cafeteria. It's not even 4:30 yet!!!!

So I thought... you know, I am not doing this grading. Sorry. They got their money's worth today!

on to the grocery store to pick up some ice cream. And then... seriously... I went home to bed.

Day to day substituting depresses me. The idea of going into another hiring/"praying for ANY interview" season makes me want to roll up in a corner.

This is my last go-round. If i am not hired this fall...I am going to change my field.

....and that stabs through the heart.

8. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jan 21, 2010

The ice cream?

Dulche de leche...and IT was very good.

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 21, 2010

..So the ice cream got rid of the panty bunch?;):D
    Rebel1

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 21, 2010

Hopefully, this group now knows they cannot get the better of you and will show you the respect you have earned. Otherwise, if you wind up in that classroom again, grab a pint of butter pecan on the way home.

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 21, 2010

Awww, hugs McKennaL. I know how you feel. I had to sub for a while in between jobs back in October. Man, I hated it. I really did. Even though I'm a good teacher, I can't do the day to day subbing thing. I was picky and only chose assignments who I knew the teacher and knew that they were strict. But, there were a couple of days where I needed to work and didn't know the teacher (those were the days that BIT).

What I did was I just told myself, as long as they get home safe and sound and that I did my best to follow the lesson plan, then that's that. I am not going to stress over a one day assignment. After the day was over, I would make a note to never sub for that teacher/school again.

But, yes, it's hard. But, I did have some real nice subbing days too. JUst figure out who to sub for and put in a good name to them. :)

12. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 21, 2010

LTS is great - if you can get it. I had to do day-to-day subbing to help pay my bills last year and I'm doing the same thing again now that my internship is over.

I went back to one principal I subbed for several times last year. She is a personal friend and we did our undergrad time together, but an incident occurred during my internship that had me worried the relationship might have been damaged. I was very relieved it had not.

When I went to speak with her, she told me my name had come up just that morning as a substitute for an upcoming trip. I told her I sincerely appreciated being considered and she said "You come when we call, you do what we ask and you're good with the kids. What more could we want?"

That's the key to doing the day-to-day subbing. Just follow the lesson plan(s) and let the kids know you ARE in charge.

I subbed for my former CT yesterday. She had left worksheets for the 7th graders to do. She had one copy marked "Key", but it was not filled out. Since I knew I would have 1.5 hours of "planning time" before the classes came in, I went ahead and filled in the answers on the "Key" for her. I also rounded up several stacks of papers that had been graded and returned them to the students. I did that because I worked with this teacher and these students for 4 months and knew the routine there. Had it been a different teacher and classroom, I would not have filled out the key nor handed out the papers because I wouldn't have been sure if the teacher wanted that done or not (unless they left specific instructions to do so).

I admire the fact you wanted to stay and grade the papers done yesterday, but that really is NOT your responsibility. The fact that you got the assignment done is all you were required to do.

I know so well how bad the "It's a sub and I'm gonna break'em" attitude can be sometimes. My personality is that I generally joke with the kids about it. I tell them "Listen, I used to be in school too and I know exactly what you're doing - so let's just cut the games now, shall we?" Most of them get a chuckle out of me "calling them out" on it and things usually go fairly smoothly. However, there have been times when I have had to show the ugly side of my personality as well to let the kids know I would NOT tolerate their behavior anymore.

You just have to take it one day and one group at a time.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 22, 2010

McKennaL, I really feel for you & I'm glad the ice cream helped some. I had a few bad days towards the beginning of my subbing days. I soon got very picky & don't even teach general ed classes anymore. I ONLY do speech & RSP because you're only working w/ several small grps of kids throughout the day as opposed to the same 25-30 bad kids all day long, so there's less chance of behavioral problems. Even when I still did general ed, I never went higher than 3rd grade really. 4th & up can be real smart asses. I used to like kindergarten & PE, but had stopped teaching them too after a while.

Being a sub, one really has to be about twice as stern as the regular teacher is because kids, even the best angels, act differently when there's a new face in the room. I've seen that 1st hand several times in my experiences. It's best to lay down the law at the very start of the day, so those kids know you mean business.

Then, at the end, I set aside the last 10-15 min having them tidy up the room & tell them no one's leaving until you inspect everything including what's on the floor. Then, I'd dismiss them by tables if they're arranged in tables or do 1 last fun thing at the end of the day such as everyone who's birthday is in Jan can line up, everyone wearing blue can line up next, etc.

And regarding the whole office being empty 15 min after dismissal, I've never in my life seen such a thing. I don't really remember ever leaving too late after school's out to leave back when I subbed for gen ed, but 15 min is pretty quick. The office should tell you in the morning when you 1st come to be in there by 10 min after the bell rings to turn in the key, etc. I'd make it these days since I sub for speech & RSP & I'm outta there about 5 min before the dismissal bells rings to have time to get in my car & drive off before the ratrace in the parking lot begins. The principals never say anything to me because they know speech & RSP are a little different.