Is there anyone working or once worked in disability child service? Help!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jennie, Apr 15, 2008.

1. jennie

jennie Rookie

Apr 15, 2008

How is your experience with disabled children(Pre-K to 8th grade)?

How is the pay?

Do you must have special edu certificate?

Do you need help them to the bathroom?

3. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 15, 2008

:)

4. jennie

jennie Rookie

Apr 15, 2008

Thanks a lot, jw13. I just want to how hard it could be to with children with disability.

Are you used to help a child from 4 year-old to 14 year-old to the bathroom, help them wipe it? Because some of kids have to sit in the wheelchair, basically they couldn't do anything for themselves in the bathroom.

I know teacher's pay in normal school also varies district. What I meant is the pay in disability children school will be higher than normal school or lower?

5. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Apr 15, 2008

The current trend in special education is to bring as many of the children back into the public schools as possible. Special education teachers in a public school are paid the same as all the other public school teachers. Substantially separate schools (just for special education students, usually these schools house a specific population) do have a separate pay scale, often lower than the public schools but not always.

As far as the bathroom goes--there are plenty of ways of working to make students more independent in the bathroom, and ways to help those who aren't in the most efficient and safe way possible for both the student and the person assisting. Just because a child is in a wheelchair does not mean they are completely dependent, either. There are all kinds of levels of physical ability involved, depending on the students you're with. If you end up working with students who need toileting assistance, have someone show you their tricks. Much easier to show than write down ideas!

As far as overall how hard is it? First you want to think about the fact that "child with a disability" is a very broad category--there are so many kinds of disabilities, and working with different populations is VERY different. Special education has to be something you WANT to be involved in. Some people love it, some people hate it. I would much prefer to be in special ed than general ed, but I know many of my colleagues who would never want my job. The very best thing for you to do is to observe in different types of classrooms and see what it's like, to get an idea of what population you would enjoy working with and if it is something you really want to do or not.

6. jennie

jennie Rookie

Apr 15, 2008

Thanks for all the valuable information, Bcblue.

I did have an observation on a school just for disability children. Most of them are on wheelchair. They have over 100 children at school. Some of them don't react with people at all. Teacher need to do everything for them. So, that is why I had some questions. Because I thought teachers in special edu have much more responsibility than others. They have a lot of physical assistance except for educational teaching. If the pay is lower than normal school. I really think it is not fair. Because from what I saw, they had a lot of works helping disability children. For a 14 year-old, teacher had to help him to the bathroom and help him wipe clean. I don't think anyone can or are willing do that.

So, the pay should be much more than normal school.

7. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Apr 16, 2008

LOL--Believe it or not, some of us love working with that population. I've worked with that population my whole career, and you wouldn't catch me signing up for a regular third grade (no offense third grade teachers, you're fabulous too!). I love the challenge--first, you have to figure out what is going on with the kids. Then, you have to figure out how to push them as far as they can possibly go. Every kid can learn SOMEthing. I love the challenge of finding new ways for kids to communicate (sometimes I think I should have been a speech pathologist). Every kid can most likely learn more than you initially think. It's a challenge to switch your mindset from "Look at all the things this child cannot do (walk talk eat self-help)" to "Let's find out what he/she CAN do." And I really don't mind the personal care aspect. You just end up doing what needs to be done.

. . .But if you've observed in that school, and that's how you feel, you probably want to look into a different type of job! Some people do NOT enjoy that type of work, which is fine. But it will wear you out if it's not really where you want to be. The population you describe is also only a small portion of the disabled population. If you're still interested in special education, there are quite a few other types of options!