Is there anyone else here who feels like when they're grading student work, they're

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Mathemagician, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 10, 2012

really grading their own work? This is one thing I think I need to work on. When Johnny failed a test, I couldn't help but feel like I failed. When Susie got a 100, I couldn't help but feel like I rock. Of course I was happy for the students and such too, but still.

As you can imagine, I felt much happier grading honors tests than grading the essential math tests.

Does anyone else think they take student achievement too personally? This is something I really need to work on.

3. mrsenglish

mrsenglish Rookie

Aug 10, 2012

I do this sometimes! I doubt myself for sure-- like, why is it that he still cannot put a citation into MLA format? Did I teach him effectively? I hate that I do that as well. While there are instances when you should pay attention to the grades (like, the whole class failed), most of the time, one or two nuances are just that.

4. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Aug 10, 2012

I do it all the time! :lol: but I don't think of it as a fault. I think of it as my performance of teaching. If the grades are good then I did a good job. If they are bad, then I need to rethink my lesson. Of course you have those that will always make 100s and those that will always fail but I try to reflect on the classes grade as a whole.

But yes I feel ya ... I'm the same way. :rolleyes:

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2012

I do too! When grading tests if I go by a whole bunch of bad grades, I try to look for a student who usually makes good grades just to make sure I actually taught the material. Good grades brings my mood up for sure!!:)

6. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Aug 10, 2012

I don't...

I'm the facilitator. I can lead them to water, but I can't make them drink it. If they don't put the effort in, they won't be successful.

I, insted, judge how fair my assessments are. I consider it fair if the average is anywhere between 65 and 75

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2012

I'm in a college prep private school. I aim for a median in the low 80's.

8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 10, 2012

I think this is more what I will aim for too. During my student teaching, I wasn't allowed to make my own tests. I had to use the tests made by the other teacher, and I think she just wanted the kids to like her...my averages were generally around a 93, which I thought was a bit inflated.

At my school a 65 is a D so that would worry me as an average. Either the whole class is getting Ds or half is acing and half is failing.

9. macrolly

macrolly New Member

Aug 12, 2012

student teacher

If anyone teach anything in the world he also want he or she get it and use it better when its result is good its make happy to every teacher

10. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Aug 12, 2012

Well I judge it based on the content level of the class. Pre Clac, I aim for high 70's... Intermediate Algebra, I am ok with high 60's (Our C goes to 68). Some topics are more difficult than others, so that plays a factor as well.

If the class under performs... I examine what was missed and the questions themselves. At that point, I either throw the question out, or I have a chat with that class on Monday. Sometimes its a product of something we went over being misunderstood, but more often then not.. its obvious to me who's prepared well enough to be successful.

Our kids attend the local community college before they graduate. I am trying to prepare them to get in the mindset to be successful there. If they don't prepare outside of class, 90% of them won't do well in College.

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2012

We're a public college prep. We consider 80% to be mastery.

The goal is 100% of students earning a minimum of 80% on every test or quiz or exam.

What really gets me are the kids who consistently fail. It makes me feel like a failure - like no matter what I do, reteach, explain, show - I'm just not getting them to connect the dots.

12. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2012

When I have a large handful of students who leave blank the question "what is oceanography? Give an example of something that an oceanographer would do.", I know that is on them. Usually these students whine that the test was too hard and they don't understand anything and I won't help them, and they are too confused to know what to ask.

This was in their notes, we read and shared articles about oceanographers, we had a class discussion, it was on their test study guide, and it was covered briefly at the beginning of the year as well. In fact, groups of students were each assigned a different branch of Earth Science to research and present to the class. If an 18 yr old cannot (maybe will not is a better word choice) even make a wild guess that oceanography has something to do with the oceans, what can I do?

It is frustrating and makes me sad for the, but I can't make them care at this late date.

13. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 12, 2012

For sure. I'll bet they'd answer if you gave them some multiple choices ;)

14. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2012

They will. The problem is that a lot of students just shut down if something appears to require work and/or effort.

I do not give exclusively multiple choice tests, though each test will have a small handful of multiple choice. They all answer those.

The ridiculous thing is that I am very generous with partial credit, so most students do better on the written parts.

15. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 12, 2012

YES! I've noticed this as well. I tell students that I will give 1 pt just for writing the "given" on a geometry proof, but a small number of students still elect not to get that point.

16. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2012

I always tell them that I try very hard to find points to give them. Heck, if a kid had written just the word "ocean," I'd have given them something.

I like giving kids points on test; I don't find joy in marking things wrong.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2012

I used to. But I feel I'm a solid teacher, so I don't accept fault unless I know I am truly to blame.

18. novaguy1968

novaguy1968 MS English Educator

Aug 12, 2012

Is it possible to reword that?

19. Hooligan

Hooligan Rookie

Aug 12, 2012

This is one of the main things I struggle with the most.

20. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Aug 13, 2012

I've been known to give a kid a point for correctly drawing the problem :)

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2012

I know what you mean.

I tell my kids that I'm actively LOOKING to find points for them. Even if they have no idea how to finish the problem, I need them to show me anything and everything they know. Anything that I might be able to eek a point or two out of might make a difference.

If they can draw the isosceles triangle and mark off those congruent base angles, great, I can give them something... even if they have no idea what comes next. If they can draw the two ships and the lighthouse and write "SOHCAHTOA", great, they've got some points... even if they have no idea which trig ratio it is.

22. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 13, 2012

This is the mark of a truly good teacher. When a class does poorly on a test, I do believe that it is not the failure of the student. It is the failure of the teacher. That teacher did not convey the subject matter in a way that helped the masses understand the concepts. A reflective teacher does not look at the data and move on. That teacher goes back and changes his/her teaching to meet the needs of the students. We have too technology at our fingertips, not to find a way to help all students learn. We have to at least TRY to help the majority of our students find success. :):)

23. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 13, 2012

Speaking of MLA format... my daughter uses a website that she inputs her info and it automatically puts into MLA format for her. You are right... no excuse for anyone now not to do MLA format correctly when they don't even have to learn the format with aps that do the work for them.

24. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 13, 2012

Thanks Alice... I wish more of us would aim for higher than 60s for our average students. Some of you might say... but that is college prep. I would say, YES and the material is even harder. Our aim should be that all students of average intelligence reach the low 80s on testing material. Remember that shows that they did not understand 20% of the test.

60% is failing in Texas.:whistle:

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2012

Here too. Passing in my school, and my kids' is 65%-- so you've basically got to know just 2/3 of the material presented to pass.

In my husband's school, passing is 75%, so you've got to know 3/4 of the material you were taught.

26. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 13, 2012

Is it Easybib? We use that one with students at my school.

27. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Aug 13, 2012

I'm sorry but I have to disagree.

I adapt my classes to match the needs of my students, but I don't base that on what they do on my chapter tests. The only time I use that as a guidence is when everybody misses a certain concept.. clearly it means I need to go back and reteach it.. which I do.

However If some students do poorly on a test, it usually means they aren't trying hard enough. They're not completing the work in class, not doing the homework seriously, not coming in for extra help.

I know this is true, because I teach at a small school on a block schedule. I get the kids that are repeating. Every single one who goes on to pass tells me that it's not that they don't understand the material, it's that they didn't take the time to learn it properly. As soon as they made an effort, they had no problems passing. I can see the change in their attitude, and when they see how their grade goes up 20-30% they see I was right when I told them that at the beginning of the year that if they put the effort it, they will pass.

They need to learn to take some responsibility at some point, we can't hold their hand forever.

I write my tests so that the student who works hard pays attention, and does their work will have no problem getting an 80%. I vary the easy/hard problems, to seperate the A's, but the majority of my students fall in the 60-70 range.. that's just the way it is.

28. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 13, 2012

I kind of feel that this is kind of the case (that when grading student work, it really is kind of grading my own work). Of course I can tell if a student really didn't understand something though, and when they just didn't do the work because they were lazy, so I think it's a good thing to help me understand the effectiveness of my instruction.