Is there any teaching assignment that would make you leave your job?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mathemagician, Aug 15, 2012.

1. teresateaches

teresateaches Companion

Aug 17, 2012

No SpEd. I can't do self contained. I know my personal limitations.

2. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2012

I'm co-teaching a SPED math class this year. If I was signed up to do that for all my classes, I might leave. (Don't get me wrong--I'm really looking forward to co-teaching this class, but wasn't trained in special education and wouldn't want to be co-teaching the whole day.)

I might be a little upset if I needed to teach the same class for the whole day, because I needed to do that for two years at my other school and it was a challenge for me. I was teaching a very low level algebra class with difficult students, so I was exhausted when I came home. However, I would never leave because of this. But I don't really mind teaching algebra instead of an trig/calc or anything. My school usually gives a good mix of classes and i really love teaching the lower level courses too.

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 18, 2012

I love that we had the same idea!! :lol:

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2012

After doing a couple of long-term sub assignments, I had an interview for a contract (permanent) position. When I went to the interview, I didn't know what the assignment was. Turns out, in addition to a couple of other things, it involved grade 7 and 8 math. I must have said 3 times during the interview, "I don't teach grade 7 and 8". I got the job (I was highly recommended by the P at the school where I did my long-term assignments) and never looked back. You may just grow to love them--I certainly did!

5. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 18, 2012

The only subject in my content area I would NOT want to teach is AP Calculus. I simply don't know the material well enough to feel qualified to teach it.

Last year, I DID teach high school math (even though I didn't have my certification) at an alternative school. Both the content and student population were outside my "comfort zone", but the experience was much more enriching than I ever expected and I WOULD have been back there this year if I had not received an offer to teach Middle School Math, which is the content I feel most comfortable with.

I taught Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, Algebra II and Geometry and felt very comfortable with all the material. Calculus, though, is the one area that keeps tripping me up on my Praxis II test. I missed passing the exam this last time by 1 POINT!!! (aaarrrrrrrgh). Even when I pass the Praxis II, I don't feel I would be qualified to teach an AP Calculus course. I only took Calculus I in college (wasn't required for my major) and that was almost 30 years ago.

I'm also qualified (based on my undergrad degree) to teach HS Business. If I were moved to that area, I would do it, but would definitely have to do some research to know what I needed to teach.

Other than being asked to do AP Calc or some subject completely outside my certification areas, I can't think of any assignment that would make me quit.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2012

I think knowing we don't NEED my income would make it easier for me to walk away from an unhappy situation. And yes, there are plenty of circumstances which would make me leave.

7. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2012

Anything below 6th grade. I have a 6-12 certification and REALLY prefer HS over MS. I just don't have the personality to teach younger children. Even when I have taught 6th, 7th and 8th; it was not the best fit for my personality.

One year, Admin hinted that I would be teaching 5th and 6th grade the following year as a way to save money/hire one less person. They didn't care if I was certified for 5th grade or not. Luckily, they let me know before the District's Transfer deadline and I was able to get out of there. From then on, I have worked at a 6-12 school, no more K-8 for me.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 18, 2012

I think I would give anything I'm certified for a try for a year. I actually didn't want to tach kindergarten when I went to school and was highly disappointed when I was in kindergarten for student teaching, but I loved it and never left. I would give an upper grade a try and then decide after teaching it for a year how I felt.

9. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Aug 18, 2012

There isn't an assignment that would cause me to leave my job - gotta eat and love the time off with my little boy, lol. Leave districts? Maybe. Anyway...

I am the perfect example of a person who SHOULD NOT have listened to professors when they were telling all of us we should take as many certification tests as we can to make ourselves more employable. I have my regular elementary, which is 1-8; then I took early childhood, PK & K; my middle level English; and my mild/moderate special ed. The only one of the extras I took that I should have was middle level English. I taught PreK for a year and thought I was going to go batty. I was an aide in a special ed room right after I finished school, and there's no way I could do moderate. I'm just that the right person for that. Mild, I'd be okay with. So, PreK and moderate special ed wouldn't set well with me.

Beth

10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 18, 2012

This is true. I have a friend who got Spec. Ed. certification. She really wanted to just teach general ed. HS math and got the Spec. Ed. certification to make her a better candidate, but everywhere she looks they want her in the Spec. Ed. population.

11. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Aug 18, 2012

:lol: The position I'm in now would likely make most people quit. (And many new teachers DO within the first week or two!)