Is there any teaching assignment that would make you leave your job?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mathemagician, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 15, 2012

For instance if you had been teaching honors/AP seniors for the past five years, and you were assigned all essential freshmen (low-track) courses this year, or if you have been teaching 6th and you were assigned K (and didn't want it) etc. Would it make a difference to you if they had a good justification for the switch? What if it were just 1 year? What if it were indefinitely? Is there any assignment that would cause to leave your school?

3. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2012

If I had to teach reading all day.
    1. that would not be smart of them and they would not make that choice
    2. teaching it for 60-90 minutes a day pushes my limits.

4. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Aug 15, 2012

If I had put in my time and worked my way up to teaching AP Calc, and then they suddenly bumped me back down to algebra (for reasons other than me sucking at teaching AP and all my students getting 1s and 2s), yeah, I'd be peeved. I don't think I'd leave though.

5. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2012

If I had to switch which license I was teaching under. Right now I'm teaching under my special ed license in a special ed position.

If I was switched to being a gen ed or kindergarten teacher I'd have to switch to my common branch or early child license (don't have that yet, will soon so I'm speaking hypothetically.)

In some schools they switch teachers wherever and don't make them change what license they're teaching under. But my principal got in trouble for doing this and made everyone who was teaching under the wrong license (which was her fault) switch and start their probation periods over.

I could easily get another job teaching special ed at a better school in the same area so if my principal was going to do that to me I would start looking for other jobs.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

I've taught everything from Intro to Calculus to Math 7. When I left in 2000, it was Department Chair teaching Precalc and Calc. When I returned 5 years later, it was to teach Math 7. (In fact, there wasn't even an opening when I was hired back. I had another job offer, so they hired me. I had no idea what I was teaching for a good month afterwards. It didn't matter.)

I'm a very firm believer that teaching a variety of courses makes us better teachers. It's so much easier to see what to emphasize, what they kbnow coming in or what they need to go in another level, if youj've taught that course as well.

To answer the original question: No. I'm an employee and I'll teach whatever math courses my employer wants me to teach. It's not about a vote of confidence, it's about working a schedule so no one is overloaded. There's nothing degrading about teaching the lower level courses or the slower kids. In fact, those slower kids really NEED a strong teacher, probably more than the really bright kids do. There's no course that's beneath me as a teacher.

My employer wouldn't ask me to teach a subject other than math, so that's a non-issue.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

Within my content area, I would and do teach any level. Each level has its fun stuff and its challenges. I know that lots of people prefer the advanced and AP courses, but I really love the lower and intermediate levels. Even though I prefer to teach those levels, I teach the advanced and AP levels every year. I enjoy those quite a lot, just in a different way.

Now, if I were asked to teach outside my content area or grade level, that might change how I feel. I don't feel skilled or qualified enough to teach in a self-contained special ed classroom, for example. I also wouldn't be interested in teaching the younger elementary grades. No way. I think I would have to look for a job elsewhere if they wanted to move me into one of those positions.

8. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Aug 16, 2012

I am in my second year in teaching and getting licensed via an alternative/nontraditional manner. To make a long story short, my P asked me to teach a class other than a math one because my degree makes me eligible to teach math and physics. I explained to her that I really didn't enjoy physics/science and would prefer not to teach the subject, preferring to stick to math. She had no other teacher available so I rolled up my sleeves and "took one for the team".

I feel like I am a different teacher in that class vs. my math class. the passion isn't there even though I understand I have an obligation to the kids. To make matters worse, the book and resources (lab, supplies,etc.) are awful unlike my 3 math subjects.

Bottom line, if I were switched over from math to science and physics full-time I would leave. It would be a disservice to the students and myself to stay.

9. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Aug 16, 2012

I'm a mild moderate sped teacher k-12. I was asked last year to take over for the profound/severe teacher when he was fired. I said no. It takes a very special person to teach that population and they deserve the best. I don't have the training or the heart to teach that population. This would be the only area I would quit. I'm certified in English and reading. I don't want to teach the gen ed population but would if I were asked.

10. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 16, 2012

Yea, having to go back to public schools. I'd rather haul trash.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

It's about being a good teacher and flexibility...it's not a 'bump down' to be asked to teach younger kids...in fact, it might be more of a challenge. Accept challenges and changes...it will make you a better and more valuable educator.

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 16, 2012

Right now they have my schedule messed up and put two different preps at the same time. If they don't get that fixed soon, I may go looking at other things to do....

13. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 16, 2012

PK-1st grade. I don't think I could deal with those little people all day. I'd be terrified the entire time that they'd run into something, eat something, hit their heads on something, or any other thing they could possibly do by the end of the day to become incapacitated. I don't know how those teachers don't have daily panic attacks.

14. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 16, 2012

Nope as long as it's covered under my license.

Though making me run the drama program would make me quit.

15. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2012

I love teaching and I need a paycheck so...I would suck it up and teach whatever I was assigned to teach. I'm certified for ESL and K-6 and all main middle level subjects so it is possible I would be reassigned at some point. If I was unhappy, I may start looking but I think I'd just see it as another challenge.

16. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 16, 2012

Funny - no one "trains" to go into correctional education. There's no major in it from what I know. You sort of end up here by default. But it's a teaching gig I wish I would have found 25 years ago!

I suppose it depends on what pocket of the country you live in, and mind has been hit TERRIBLY with teaching job losses, so that's another reason I'd never go back to the public school setting because (and I've had offers) I probably would have been RIFed again.

Not trying to highjack this thread - but we're talking about "other assignments," and if you are searching for stability and something that's out there - if you're tired of worrying whether you'll have a job from year to year - consider correctional education.

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

I can think of some assignments that wouldn't make me happy, but nothing that would make me quit my job.

18. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2012

No, my license is elementary 1-6 and I think I would enjoy teaching any of the grades I am licensed for. I know I would prefer 3-6 more than 1 & 2, but I wouldn't quit if I was assigned lower grades.

19. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 16, 2012

Anything higher than grade 8. I am not qualified to teach secondary education, despite what my teaching lisence may indicate. If I was transferred to the high school I would definitely quit.

20. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2012

If I had to teach creationism in a science classroom I'd quit.

21. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 16, 2012

I can't do lower level students all day every day. I've done it before and between the neediness and behavior problems I was exhausted emotionally and physically. If I didn't have such an awesome administration backing me during that time I would have lost it, I'm sure.

So if I knew that I would have that job every day for the rest of my career I would definitely leave teaching. I would suck it up long enough for me to find another job. But I've been assured that such a year will never happen again. If it did that would be a clear indication that I was no longer wanted at the school anyhow.

22. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 16, 2012

Jobs are too hard to find. I can suck it up and do what I need to do. I want to be with my district, so I did whatever to stay here. I am secondary English certified. In my 20 years here I have taught
    • k-12 day to day subbing
    • k-12 homebound
    • longterm sub
    • 6th-8th language arts
    • 6th-8th reading
    • 7th & 8th health
    • 9-12 English, basic to AP
    • 7/8 humanities

Didn't like all of them, but it was still better than being unemployed!

23. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 16, 2012

I taught grade 6 for 1 year. The permanent contract I was offered was for a grade 6 position. I would have been crazy not to accept it. 6 months into the school year I met with my principal about the chance to move to an eary years grade in the fall. He did not fight me on it one bit and agreed I was more 'myself' with the younger ones. That year didn't cause me to quit - I recognize the importance of a steady income and I LOVE being a teacher. However, I am not qualified for every teaching job, so being assigned to a job where I will do students a disservice is not an option for me. I'd rather quit than try to teach high school math - the students deserve better!

24. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Aug 16, 2012

I don't think so... I've done so many different things. As long as I have a job, I think I can do just about anything. My strengths probably lie in grades 2-4 or so, but I've worked with students from K-8, and would be able to do that, without too much issue. I could even take on high school, if I had to, I think.

25. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 16, 2012

The one time I was in a position I didn't like in a school I did, I simply told my principal, "I'm content, but not thrilled." Somehow, he found a thrilling position and transferred me into it within two weeks of my saying so. It would take a LOT for me to leave this school if they are willing to do things like that.

26. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

I am certified EC-4, 4-8 ELA and SS, 8-12 ELA, and EC-12 SPED. The only thing I would quit over would be if they placed me in a life skills class. It takes a special person to teach those kiddos, and I just can't do it. That being said, we don't have that in our district so I don't have to worry about that. I wouldn't be happy teaching math, but I would if I had to.

27. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2012

A few days before school started, I had a dream that I was moved to Kindergarten. I was so stressed out by that!! My school is K-8, and K is really the only grade I don't think I could handle. I would have to think long and hard if that actually happened...

28. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2012

Here they can have you teach out-of-field for one year.

So... my Waterloo would be math... but I could probably putter through the general maths in MS and Pre-Algebra. Anything else is too far out of my skill set. Oh, and kindergarten.

29. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 16, 2012

The fact that I had to look up the Waterloo reference tells you what subject I wouldn't be able to teach very well. My history class would SOOOO boring and by the book....or just pop in Pawn Stars :D

Does the out-of-field thing happen frequently?

30. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 16, 2012

I don't think I'm qualified to teach anything I'd truly hate, so I'm all right. I would be so unhappy in K though. I can't imagine being like "A IS FOR APPLE....AH AH AH! :woot:" :banghead: Mad props to those who manage all that!

31. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2012

Most frequently with ESOL (you're out-of-field if you don't have that endorsement and have ESOL students in your class); out-of-field within different subjects never happens at my school.

32. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 16, 2012

I'm certified to teach K-8.

I wouldn't want to teach at any of the local "alternative" schools (i.e., kids who get dismissed from a regular ed school due to extreme behavioral problems). I just don't have the personality for that type of setting.

33. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 16, 2012

I could not go below 1st grade (which is good, because my certification is 1-5, lol). Actually, I never saw myself teaching lower than 3rd, and have been "stuck" in first for going on 5 years now. I have asked each of the 5 years to move up in grade level, and been told each year that "we need someone strong in 1st." I guess it's a compliment, but man, I hate the first part of the year! They are so needy, such babies, and have no idea how they should act! :dizzy:

34. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 16, 2012

If you do it in a 'sing-song' voice it makes it more fun! :lol:

35. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 16, 2012

I was talking about this with a friend the other day. 1st-4th I'm okay with. K or 5th I'd do if they told me it was the only job they had for me, but I would NOT be happy about it. I'd go back to sped if I had to, but only mild-moderate and only elementary- and that's only because my school does pull-out programs. If we did push in where the sped teacher just had to assist in the gen ed classroom all day rather than teaching, I would absolutely be looking elsewhere. If I were asked to teach middle school/high school, a alternative behavior classroom, or mod/severe I would not do it.

36. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 16, 2012

As a first grade teacher, this made me laugh!! :lol:

I am certified K-8. I have grades that I prefer over others, of course, but I would never quit over it. My first student teaching placement was in a self contained 6th grade class. I was TERRIFIED - I hadn't wanted to go above 4th. As it turned out, I loved it. I still think I am more suited for primary, at least at this point in my career, but I genuinely had a wonderful time teaching 6th. After that experience, I honestly think I could teach anything I'm certified to teach as long as I have the right attitude about it. :) That said, I am very thankful to be in first right now, because I love the kids.

37. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 17, 2012

You need to either sing it or chant it!

Having said that: I'm certified K-6 (7-8 grades self-contained). I don't know of any 7th or 8th grades that are self-contained. Same with 6th grade. I've considered 5th grade, but it's not what I want to teach. I'd have to really consider 4th grade. I much prefer K-3rd.

For a year, I can do anything. Might not like it & if I ended up in a grade I just didn't like & I knew that there was no way that I'd get a grade that I preferred, you can bet that I would be job hunting for the next school year. I wouldn't up & quit mid-year & I wouldn't quit without having something else lined up.

38. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Aug 17, 2012

I would never teach kindergarten or 1st grade, and I hated 2nd grade. I just didn't apply for those jobs, and leave them for the folks that love it. I would teach special education classes at the lower grades though.

39. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2012

I would not be happy to be assigned below grade 4. However, I'm qualified JK to grade 10, so I can't object to any of those placements (although high school won't happen).

40. mclaugcr

mclaugcr Companion

Aug 17, 2012

It's funny that this question was posed, since I find myself in the position of having to teach 8th grade this year, when I swore that there was not enough money in the world to get me to teach MS (I'm certified 1-8, taught 4th for the last 5 years). But I guess that with a 1-year-old, a job is a job. ;) And it's only for one year (hopefully)!

41. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 17, 2012

Unless you love it!