Is There an Age Minimum for Facebook?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by KinderCowgirl, Jul 24, 2010.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 24, 2010

And if there isn't, shouldn't there be? I just got my first friend request from a student-remember I teach elementary-she just finished 4th Grade! I don't ever post anything incriminating (it's really just pics of my dog) and of course, have my privacy settings set pretty strictly-but other teachers from our school post some unsightly messages at times ("I will just be drunk all next year" was one-not a friend of mine, but another teacher commented that on my friend's wall).

I just can't believe students need a social networking site-isn't that what school is for them? I wonder if her parents even know she's on it. I rejected the friend request and just responded to her message very politely.

I don't have kids, but if I did-I would not let my child set up a page. I think adults post too much-people can see their house is empty-the family is enjoying their vacation, kids names and ages and where they take karate, etc. I just think we have to try and keep them as safe as possible. Am I crazy?

3. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Jul 24, 2010

I think it is 13. But all you have to do is check the box saying you are 13 or over.

4. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 24, 2010

I have a student who is on facebook and she just finished Kindergarten! I don't think they have an age limit! YIKES!

5. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 24, 2010

Thank you for this post. :hugs:

I wholeheartedly agree that children do NOT need a Social Networking site.

It's likely that I really don't need one either. ;) Then again, I'm 31 and love to see what old college pals and high school pals are up to -- they're several states away!

Children need to socialize in a REAL LIFE group setting.

I am extremely passionate about children, adolescents in particular, and the amount of time they spend online.

I have seen several people that are "young adults" waste away infront of the PC playing online video games or chatting in up in chatrooms.

I realize this is very very different from a facebook page, but it starts somewhere.

:love:

6. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jul 24, 2010

The age limit, I believe, is 13 years old. I know my cousin (who is now 12) has had a FB for about two years. All you have to do is put in your year of birth to make you 13. They don't verify it…

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 24, 2010

I had a request from an 8 year old, the son of a friend. I have also had the request of a 10 year old daughter of a friend. I ignored both. I won't friend anyone that young, they shouldn't be on FB as far as I'm concerned. I do not plan to allow my own children to have FB pages until 13-14 even though I'm sure many of their friends will have pages before that age.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 24, 2010

The age minimum is 13. However, there is no way to verify, really.

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2010

My two cats have facebook pages and they are 3 and 4 respectively. They did have to lie about their ages.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 24, 2010

:lol:Thanks for the laugh Sarge

11. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 24, 2010

:lol:

My issues with FB are manifold. However, I do not think children particularly should have a FB or be exposed to the FB of others.
    Consequently, that is the rule in my house. FB for some is the holy grail, so I don't want to express anything beyond this. However, I do recommend that if you FB, you recognize that even protected pages can be circumvented with very little effort, so be careful.:cool:

12. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2010

I had 2nd graders on Facebook.

Thankfully, they did not ask to be my friend! Of course, I won't even friend the parents, much less kids.

Though, several teachers have friended the 4th, 5th, 6th graders with pages... Seems too risky to me!

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 24, 2010

Well, that's a different story-cats who want to network socially-I'm totally for that! I guess there's no cat years like dog years, huh?

14. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 24, 2010

I agree with everyone else. Theere is a minimum age but many parents let their kids have a site or the kids do it behind their parents backs.

My kids have them but they are 16(almost 17) and 18 yrs old. I have their passwords ect. I have a FB page but I don't friend their friends. I also do not friend parents of students (past, present or future) and don't friend students.

15. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 24, 2010

Maybe you can friend request Sarge's cats?:cool:

16. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 24, 2010

I think it's ridiculous that they don't verify ages. I would support having to use a credit/debit card and charging $1/year in order to make sure it's at least 16 and up!

17. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 24, 2010

I have kids in my class whose parents have no problem lying for them to get a FB account and a host of other things. If they would lie, they would pay imho

18. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 24, 2010

I agree!!

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2010

:lol: Sarge!!!

My nephew is on facebook, and he'll be 12 this year. I don't friend students on facebook, even though I don't have anything questionable on my fb (my P is a friend).

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2010

My cat has a fb page as well. She has since she was about 4 months old.
    She is great at sending her mommy farmville gifts :lol:

21. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jul 25, 2010

I had a friend on FB, who has been deleted since, who had set up a facebook page for her daughter- she was either 1 or 2 years old. It had all of her daughters pictures, and other info, etc. on it. All of her friends would also add her daughter to FB. *sigh*

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2010

:lol:

My bunny, who is three, has one. She sends me gifts on Pet Society! :p

AND, she is friends with people I know who aren't even friends with me on Facebook!!!

I can't remember, but I'm sure I had to lie to get her one..... :blush:

23. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2010

I don't let students friend me, but I do let them friend her. They know all about her since she eats their homework :lol:

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 25, 2010

I never thought of letting my dog have a Facebook page LOLOL
    I think parents really need to watch what their kids are doing on their computers. Even 13 seems young and if I had a kid that age I'd probably set up one of those things where I could see what's going on on their computer right on my computer.

25. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 25, 2010

My kids have a shared FB page. I set it up so they could stay in touch with family thousands of miles away (My sisters and their kids). There are, however, some non-negotiable rules.

1) I approve every friend request.
    2) I stare over their shoulder while they use it
    3) They send me farmville and frontierville gifts every day

Both of the house computers are laptops. They discovered, a few weeks ago, how deadly serious Mom is about rule number 2. I came home to discover that they'd been on the internet. Since then, both computers come to work with me every day. They have a LONG way to go before I'll leave them home again.

26. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2010

I laughed out loud at this one. :lol:

27. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 25, 2010

My classroom stuffed panda has a page, too. He's only about 3 years old. :)

I've noticed the trend to make facebook pages for new babies, too. I don't think it's a big deal since obviously the parent is in 100% control of who is posting/getting information on the infant's page.

Like others on here, my daughter has had one since she was 13 (she's 15 now...I made her wait and that was literally the first thing she wanted to do on her 13th bday...), but I have the password, and I check it regularly.

Social networking is just a reality of the world in which we live. It's not going away. We have to be prepared to teach our children how to use them responsibly.

28. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2010

I thought it used to be 18, since it was originally a college networking site. My sister helped our younger sister set up a site. I think she was 11 when they did it, and they had to lie about her birthday to set up her page.

29. LMT

LMT Rookie

Jul 25, 2010

"I" am not a fan of FB for several reasons...

However, I know my own children will have one eventually. But for now, I'm the meanest mom "EVER" because I won't approve one. (Ages 14 and 12).

It's not that I don't trust them, but even the bullying, etc. that can happen on there can be overwhelming for a tween. I don't see a need for one at the moment.

As for me...everyone that I WANT to keep in contact with has my email. If they don't, there's a reason. LOL

30. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 25, 2010

That's how I was with my kids! Facebook, Myspace they had to wait until they were 13 yrs old. Then I had to have their passwords. I check them off and on. I agree that social networking is not going away and we have to teach our children to use them responsibly. It's too bad more parents don't follow the same beliefs.