is there a book that has...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by lcluigs03, Sep 16, 2006.

1. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Sep 16, 2006

information that i can look at on how to write report cards or mid quarter reports? i need to know how to word things to parents.

thanks
    LC

3. mhcooley

mhcooley Companion

Sep 16, 2006

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 16, 2006

5. CBean

CBean Rookie

Sep 16, 2006

There is one I bought that had comments written in English and Spanish for every subject and behavior area. I can't think of the name of it but I bought it at an educational store for teachers, so they are definately out there. They phrase things nicely.

6. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Sep 16, 2006

I have a book, I think I ordered it from Scholastic teacher resources, but I have also "googled" teacher report card comments and gotten loads of info.

7. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Sep 16, 2006

I don't have a book suggestion, but our kids' files have all their previous reports in them - they are great resources! I also used to ask experienced colleagues how to phrase a particular characteristic, if I was worried it would come out wrong.

Just for a laugh (I mean it, don't write these!) here's something I Googled:

"The following are purported to be actual comments made by NYC teachers on their report cards as part of their final narratives. All teachers were reprimanded, but these are great!

1. Since my last report, your child has hit rock bottom and has started to dig.
    2. I would not allow this student to breed.
    3. Your child has delusions of adequacy.
    4. Your child is depriving a village somewhere of an idiot.
    5. Your son sets low personal standards and then consistently fails to achieve them.
    6. The student has a "full six-pack" but lacks the plastic thingy to hold it all together.
    7. This child has been working with glue too much.
    8. When your daughter's IQ reaches 50, she should sell.
    9. The gates are down, the lights are flashing, but the train isn't coming.
    10. If this student were any more stupid, he'd have to be watered twice a week.
    11. It's impossible to believe the sperm that created this child beat out 1,000,000 others.
    12. The wheel is turning but the hamster is dead.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 16, 2006

OMG, it's impossible to believe these comments were real.

9. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Sep 16, 2006

Those comments above made me chuckle. I'm sure we have all thought some of those a time or two.

I also found a book that has comments for students above, below, and at grade level; comments for behavior, both good and not so good; new students; end of the year comments; and general comments. I can't think of the name of it (I think maybe just Report Card comments) but it is a small book (5x7) and has a purple cover. I got it at the educational store. I also have one through Scholastic but don't like it as well.

10. srh

srh Devotee

Sep 17, 2006

I think that "purple cover" book may be Teachers' Messages for Report Cards by Marie McDonald. It's great, and has chapters titled "Weak, Slow, and Immature Work"..."Behavior Problems"..."Poor Attendance"...and so on, including Gifted, New, and Average child comments. It is published by Fearon Teacher Aids, Torrance, California.

11. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Sep 17, 2006

I think I have that same purple book - and I use it frequently! (and my fellow teachers keep borrowing it!)
    It and several others are available at www.teacherstorehouse.com
    I have never ordered from them since I have a couple of really good local teacher's stores, but they do seem to have a lot of stuff. I just searched for report card and a lot of stuff came up. Only about 4 or 5 were report card comment books though. I think one might also be the English/Spanish one mentioned by CBean.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 17, 2006

It is very difficult to find positive euphemisms for "Your child is ruining it for the rest of the class", isn't it?

13. srh

srh Devotee

Sep 17, 2006

You got that right, Daisy! Honestly, that can be pretty tough. For me, I don't like to repeat myself (well, at least not on report cards!), so I'm always thinking of alternatives. The same goes for those who "do a great job..." I KNOW I overuse the word "great"!!

14. applecore

applecore Devotee

Sep 17, 2006

Thanks for asking the questions and for all those who posted those links; great information for a teacher in training :D .

I like Scholastic's ideas. Nice.

Makes you want to find thesaurus book just for teachers :D 101 ways to say "Great". LOL..

15. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Sep 18, 2006

I use Microsoft Word to type up my comments - if you right click on a word (like great) it will give you the options for lots of synonyms. Very useful when your great student has done great work and you wish them a great future!:)

If none of the words that come up suit, you can choose the Thesaurus option to find more choices. Of course, you can use a real thesaurus, but the Word version is a lot quicker.;)

16. tgim

tgim Habitué

Sep 18, 2006

For my "copiers" I have written "relies heavily on visual cues from others"....lol!

17. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Sep 18, 2006

tgim...good one. Some "copiers" are better at it than others. It always seems like they don't choose the right ones to get their "visual cues" from.