Is there a "book fee" at school?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by showmelady, Sep 28, 2015.

1. showmelady

showmelady Companion

Sep 28, 2015

I am just curious.

I know that in some states there is a "book fee" charged every year per student. I am wondering how much the fee is. I think that it might be pretty hard on those parents with very limited income to pay a fee for each child they have in the school system.

And that brings up my second question. What does the book fee cover? Does it only actually cover books, or is it for general supplies?

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 28, 2015

Our school charges a $6 school fee that mostly offsets the copy bill ($1 per class.) Also some classes have lab fees associated with them.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2015

My current district has no book fee. There are some fees for special programs like art classes.

I student taught in a district with a book fee. Back then it was around $100 per student; I'm sure it's higher now. This fee covered textbook rentals and consumables like workbooks.

I'm sure it could be a hardship for some families, especially those with several children in school. Usually there are programs available to those families, such as sliding scales or waivers or payment plans.

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 28, 2015

I've never seen it at the elementary level, but in my experience it's been pretty common at the jr. high and high school levels.

6. mkate

mkate Comrade

Sep 28, 2015

Here in Spain the public schools don't provide books-- families have to buy them. And there are textbooks for everything!

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 28, 2015

We charge $12 for supply fee. That pays for art and writing supplies. I teach transitional first. Every grade is a different price. I know that 2nd grade at my school is $15. I can use the money for anything I want. I used it for prompt journals and art supplies.

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 28, 2015

We ask for a $35 donation for supplies rather than sending out supply lists, but in California, it MUST be termed a "donation," and it cannot be required. That would be illegal here.

9. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 29, 2015

I've never heard of a book fee or a supply fee.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 29, 2015

Zero fees for anything here. Like yellowdaisies mentioned, we can ask for donations for various things (like field trip entrance fees), but inability to pay doesn't mean a child can't attend.

We our 99.2% free/reduced lunch. The only kids who pay for lunch are the teachers' kids.

Many local businesses donate things such as backpacks (fully stocked with a binder, pencils/pens, paper, and all the other goodies), jackets during the winter time, gift certificates for Thanksgiving meals, etc. Fortunately, the community members know how poor our families are, so they're constantly giving us things out of the kindness of their hearts. Each year, my own mom and dad donate socks and shoes during the winter time! :wub:

Something that still brings a tear to my eye is when a local barber came to our school prior to the start of the school year to give free haircuts to students.

11. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 29, 2015

I wonder if I'm an outlier. I've only taught at Title 1 schools, where we got a lot of "free" stuff (the places that will give us free field trips, wow). I think I might just be seeing funding already in place.

12. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 29, 2015

We have one. It's over $100. Teachers don't have a say in what it's used for. I'm guessing, workbooks, paper, and ???

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2015

I'm in a public school on a high SES district. No book fees.

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 29, 2015

My guess is that's because NJ schools are MUCH better funded than most. I actually looked it up, and NJ's per pupil spending is more than twice what CA's is.

We ask for donations for field trips and supplies. If we didn't get field trip donations, we wouldn't go on field trips. If we didn't get supply funds, I guess I would have to pay for them, because there's no other place for that to come from.

I'm at a middle class school.

15. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 29, 2015

This is just awesome. :wub:

16. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 2, 2015

My district has a $20 fee at the elementary level. I'm not sure what it is used for, though, because students bring their own school supplies. I'm guessing it goes towards curriculum materials.