Is the second year THAT MUCH different than the first year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jun 22, 2014

Last year, I was fortunate and blessed to have graduated from "Job Seekers" to "New Teachers." Now, I am no longer a new teacher and will be going into my 2nd year...... Common wisdom says that the 2nd year is "so much better" than the 1st year. If anyone is willing to describe their 2nd year to me.... e.g. how you felt, your confidence, ability to manage the classroom, relationship with a new set of students, seeing new teachers in the building, how admin sees a 2nd year teacher, etc.... that would really help.... I don't want to walk into my 2nd year thinking I made my mistakes during the 1st year and they won't happen this year... And, who actually had a worse 2nd year than 1st year?

3. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jun 22, 2014

In my experience my second year was so much better than my first year. I was so ready for my first year of teaching to end but I think I would have started my second year the first day of the summer after my first year just to prove to myself that I was better than I did in year one. Looking back, my first year was all about survival while I was able to try things out my second year. I had a better understanding of the students prior knowledge which helped make my lessons a whole lot better. I also went in knowing a whole lot more about classroom management just from experiencing a lot that first year. I couldn't believe how big of change it was from my first to my second year but it was really night and day.

4. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2014

My second year was far and away the best year in my teaching career - much, MUCH better than my first year.

By my second year I had enough few tricks under my belt that I could anticipate and handle a variety of situations. I also knew what to expect from my student population; the things that shocked and bothered me the first year were easier to handle and ignore my second year. Most importantly, I still had that new teacher excitement and enthusiasm and it pushed me to want to be my best. I was still eager and adventurous that year.

I also understood how to play the political game better by my second year.

5. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 22, 2014

My second year teaching was my first in a new school (went from high to middle) and new content area (went from Biology to Math). It was not easier than my first year. My third year was much better. One thing not mentioned, but it makes a big difference in middle anyway, is the students know who you are and have some sense of you from what they have heard from older students. I guess this isn't true for 6th grade teachers, but seems to be for 7th and 8th.

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 22, 2014

My second year as a teacher was better than my first, my second year in my building was better than the first in my building, and my second year in the classroom was better than my first in the classroom.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2014

I remember telling my P right before my second year that "I still don't know exactly what works for me, but I know what doesn't work for me!"

8. Splasher

Splasher Rookie

Jun 22, 2014

You realize how bad you were your first year!

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 22, 2014

My second year was so much harder than my first. My second year had me creating a new curriculum for my school, where I was the only person in my department. It was an odd situation.

My third year was a breeze compared to that one! I definitely think it gets easier year after year with the most noticeable increases in those first few ones.

10. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jun 22, 2014

Hmm... that could be an issue especially when it comes to classroom mgmt.......... i know i have to be a hard a$$ during the first few weeks so this will be a change because I think the incoming 8th graders think I will let things slide, ignoring stuff that really should be dealt with.... by the end of last year, I felt I was a better teacher but I was mainly in survival mode just wanting the year to turn over so I can start fresh.

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 22, 2014

I switched jobs after my first year, so my second year was guaranteed to be better :lol: I loved it. This past year was my second year at that school. It was a lot like my first year there. I created a whole new course, so I had a lot of fun designing that. I also took over a club. My P and I have a very good relationship; that helped immensely in making me feel confident. I knew he had and still has my back.

12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 22, 2014

My second year was much harder than my 1st - you are more aware of what your SHOULD be doing by 2nd year. 1st year I was blissfully unaware. Now that I'm finishing year 5 I fee like I've found my groove.

13. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jun 22, 2014

In my second year, I had a completely different teaching assignment than my first year. So that made my second year just as challenging as my first. My third year was the exact same placement as my second year, so I'll count third as second lol. Third year was much harder for me. I had my content down, but the relationship I had with my students was just not there like it was in previous years. It was draining interacting with many of them, and I was unhappy a lot of the time. Many colleagues said that they had the same experience. However, I wouldn't attribute that to it being my "second" year....it was just luck of the draw.

14. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 22, 2014

I've heard that the second year is the year for organization, and that was definitely true for me. I was so much more organized with all of my paperwork/data and I started developing systems that worked really well for me. I went in a bit more confident, but my first year teaching has actually been my easiest year yet (just finished year 4). My first year I literally had 12 students on my caseload. The admin and teachers hadn't liked the teacher I replaced, so they loved everything I did. They were so impressed with how much knowledge I came in with (apparently they were expecting me to know nothing about actually teaching?) I actually found it to be easier than my student teaching placement where I was being watched/evaluated all day every day, plus my university had made us do ridiculous lesson plans (I'd have at least 20 pages for one day) and a reflection on every single lesson. I worked far less my first year of "real" teaching than I did as a ST.

My second year we combined schools and became a K-8. My caseload jumped to 25 students, and our population shifted. We got a lot more really wealthy families, and I wasn't used to dealing with helicopter/crazy parents. I was also put in charge of the title 1 teachers. One was easy to work with, but the other had about 20 years of experience and was insanely resentful that I was in charge as a 2nd year teacher. She wanted us to do everything like her last district. Dealing with her really put a damper on that year. She was non-renewed, but I ended up moving on at the end of that year anyway because I wanted to move to the city. My 3rd year I taught in an inner city school with horrible admins. It was extremely difficult and I'm honestly still surprised I made it through the year. This year I got a new job in a much nicer school, but things were pretty crazy. I had almost 50 students on my caseload. Had I not just come off the insanely bad year, I probably would have thought this year was really hard too, but my perception of what is "hard" has changed. I also found the gen ed teachers in this school to be more challenging to work with than I experienced at my first school. Next year I'll be returning to the same position, but we're completely changing our instructional model and I'll have a new teammate. I've never had a teammate in sped before AND we have to share a room. I imagine that this will definitely not be an easier year either!

15. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 22, 2014

I have one more week left of my second year. It was definitely easier than the first year to me. I knew the school and my colleagues so much better, and that made everything easier. I knew our procedures for things, I've developed good friendships with staff members...it was just a much more comfortable year all around. I still consider myself a very new teacher, but I did feel more confident this year. I knew what worked last year and what didn't, and I was able to implement some new things that worked really well.

My class, though, was VERY different from last year's class. I had a very..."active"...class this year. I've had a lot of fun with them, but I have missed last year's class a lot. :lol: It is what it is, though. Every class is different.

Next year is my third year and I'm moving to a new school that is VERY different from my current school, where I'll be teaching 5th grade. I feel like a newbie all over again....but a newbie with some experience, at least.

16. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 23, 2014

Last year at this time I was very much at the end of my rope. I was on track to finish this three year certification program in the summer and I just couldn't do it. I was totally stressed out and feeling like the summer was not even close to being long enough. There were a lot of tears ha.

There were some major challenges this year and my supervisor definitely stepped it up like whoa! I feel like he stepped it up too much actually, we have a new curriculum and he has not been very understanding about the fact that the curriculum is going to have some growing pains....I think that definitely affected the quality of my teaching this year which makes me kind of upset.

I feel that I have much more stamina though somehow. Being in front of kids all day long and in charge of the show was so tiring last year and I think it contributed to my stress. This year I was much more used to it. Last year I had so many days where I just absolutely dreaded going to work. Not so much this year. Also having the kids know me, I've noticed especially at the middle school level, really has made a difference. I feel like we're all a little more relaxed and I have been able to enjoy them more this year. I actually have moments of "ooh...if I get a new job I will never see you again" and last year I think I was just too full of my own exhaustion and stress and ready for everything to be over to think much about that.

:) Good luck with everything! Have a relaxing summer

17. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 23, 2014

The first year and second year felt pretty much the same to me- just that I knew the school community better. Now starting my 7th year I notice a major difference compared to my first years of teaching :)