Is the Junior National Young Leaders Conference a scam, like Who's Who?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peachyness, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2008

I got a letter at school a while ago about being chosen as a highly qualified educator from the Junior National Young Leaders Conference. I never heard of it and was wondering if this was like one of those other scams out there. I don't plan on doing anything with this letter. I threw it away after getting it. Anyways, I already KNOW I'm a highly qualified teacher. :D

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2008

Oh, and one more, it metnioned one of my colleagues names, it is misspelled. I had to laugh at that.

4. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Apr 13, 2008

I would put it in the same category as Who's Who. When I get stuff from them, I nod, smile, and recycle.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Apr 13, 2008

Many people, as young as 6th grade, attend. Many say they had a great time. That doesn't change the fact that it isn't really an "honor"....it is really just very expensive workshop/summer camp. It is totally a money-making business.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 13, 2008

It's a sad state of affairs when people are willing to pay for "honors". *sigh*

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Apr 13, 2008

Their "honors" cost almost $2,000! Plus you have to get to the location.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 13, 2008

That's just nuts. Real honors are given, not paid for.

9. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Apr 13, 2008

My daughter started getting Who's Who's forms in 7th grade and by 8th grade she DID actually get a cash scholorship of $100 from Who's Who. Believe it or not. She really did.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2008

$100 or $1000? I thought they gave more than $100 to the winners?

11. wig

wig Devotee

Apr 14, 2008

the Junior National Young Leaders Conference is legit. We have several go every year and the experience is great. There is criteria to follow when choosing students to go. IF followed, you have very intelligent young men and women there.

Unfortunately, it IS very expensive, so it limits who can go. For that reason I decided not to nominate anyone. The other teacher did it and of the three going, two are ones I NEVER would have recommended. Oh well.

I don't know anything abut the teacher thing.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 14, 2008

We usually have students attend and it is a wonderful experience.

13. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Apr 14, 2008

Peachy,
    Yeah, it was only $100 but it was in a check simply mailed to us for filling out the application. She was only in 8th grade, so $100 was cool for us. She put it towards The National Youth Forum on Medicine in Boston when she got to high school. And yes, it was around $2,000 to go plus air fare. She really got to see a lot there and experience great things.(See Harvard etc.) So, they are legit but very expensive. It took us a while to pay it off. But there are mostly very wealthy kids that go. They spoke of their summer and winter homes. This is very foreign to us. But it was great to see how other kids are and she liked them a lot.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2008

Well, I think it's hilarious that they sent that letter to me. I work in a very low SES school. All except a couple of my kids get free lunch. So, it's too bad that such a honor group has to charge such a high amount. The most deserving kids will never be able to attend.

15. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2008

I got a letter from them too about recommending students. One of my co-workers has done it for many years. I missed the deadline, but I'm not sure if any of my kids could've afforded it or not.

16. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Apr 15, 2008

It is kind of like college, those that can afford it go to the more expensive colleges and those that can not afford if, take out loans or go to a cheaper college. I guess that is life.

17. GratefulParent

GratefulParent New Member

May 22, 2008

As a parent of two students who have been nominated for National Young Scholars and subsequently received invitations to National Young Leaders (both are run by the same company, Envision EMI), I hope that you don't mind if I give a different perspective. As this is my first post, I understand that I am unable to post links, but the info is out there for the googling.

When my kids (nominated in the same year) first received the fancy packets, something just seemed a bit "off" about the program. The price was a red flag, as was the glitziness.

A bit of googling led to the conclusion that this is, basically, a scam. Yes, legitimate courses are offered (though they get mixed reviews), and yes, some kids who attend enjoy them, but the programs are basically a cash cow for the for-profit "Envision EMI", a consulting firm run by Barbara Harris and Richard Rossi, through which they pay themselves handsomely for marketing and consulting.

Envision EMI's "Vision" page on their website says, in part:
    Huh. Nothing about inspiring or cultivating young minds. Interesting omission.

Anyway, I love every last teacher at our school, and I have been privileged to entrust my children to their care, but I honestly wish that they would realize that rather than bestowing an honor on my children, they have instead essentially signed them up for a mailing list owned by a for-profit company of students deemed talented by their teachers. I love the teachers and surely wouldn't consider making waves, but I do believe that my family's right to privacy has been violated by wonderful people with the best of intentions.

If you're interested in reading an article about the two firm principals, google
    ( Rossi Harris sacred cow ). The first item that comes up is an article about one of their programs.

18. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 22, 2008

My first year of teaching, my mother was my principal, so I naturally went to her about everything. I got one of these applications in the mail, asking me to nominate students. I was really excited, thinking that this would be a great opportunity, etc. She told me never to fill those out, because it's just putting huge pressure on parents when the announcement letter is mailed to students. Students will beg and feel hurt when their parents say no, and that hasn't helped anyone. I understood this, because that's exactly how it would have gone down at my house. So I followed her advice and have never regretted it. My kids would not have been able to afford that anyhow.

19. GratefulParent

GratefulParent New Member

May 22, 2008

Two other things, and I do apologize for butting into a teachers-only forum, and I'll go on my merry way after this; however, I am hoping that a parent's perspective might be helpful. First, I just want to clarify that the ellipses in the middle of the quote from the Envision website chopped out only a graphic of "10X", not any substantive information.

Second, for those of you who have seen only the teacher literature and not what is sent to parents, here are portions of the text of a letter I received earlier this week inviting one of my children to attend the National Young Leaders State Conference for our region. The only thing missing, I think, is background violin music. :lol:

This wasn't a new nomination; this is just the result of my daughter now being on the Envision EMI mailing list. I'm guessing we'll now be getting something every year from this company, and I'm only hoping that they don't sell her (and her brother's) names to multiple other companies. Her brother got an identical packet in the mail this week too; in fact I got one for each at home, addressed "To the Parents of...", and my children also came home from school with identical information/registration packages, given to them by their teacher, addressed "To the Parents of...". Thus the company is making sure that not only do the parents receive the information, but the kids are aware of it as well. Frankly, that also doesn't sit well with me.

20. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 22, 2008

Write/call them and ask them to take your children off their mailing list.

21. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

May 23, 2008

N apology necessary. We welcome all who want to join! I'm sure many of the readers are grateful for the insight you have given in your two posts.

22. checkmatefritz

checkmatefritz New Member

Jun 1, 2009

I was student who was selected to go on this trip to our capital city and I had the time of my life there!

23. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2009

Education is a business, and it is difficult sometimes to decipher who's mission is really to educate, and whose is to make money.

I can think of a few "colleges" around me that are in it for the profit first, educating second. It's the same thing, in my opinion.

24. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Jun 1, 2009

I did the National Young Leader conference about 10 years ago. I never considered it an "honor" or anything, but a cool opportunity to explore D.C.

Basically, it's like a summer camp with a political/government bent to it. I had a blast. I met other teens from all over the U.S. Sure, there were daily workshops about the government but nothing that vastly improve my knowledge about "leadership" or anything.

The only scam about it is that they bill as an all prestigious event which it's not.

25. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

26. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2009

I am amused at how many new posters were drawn in by this thread. What are the chances this company googles itself? :whistle:

27. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 15, 2009

If you go to missy's link, scroll down and read what posters have posted, I think you might get your answer mollydoll :D

28. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Jul 15, 2009

No money

I agree that honors shouldn't cost anything.