Is the economy affecting your school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ByCandleLight, Dec 11, 2008.

1. ByCandleLight

ByCandleLight Rookie

Dec 11, 2008

Our school recently had a meeting in which the budget cuts were discussed and ideas tossed about how to cut corners locally. In addition to lowering the temp on heaters and turning off lights whenever not in our rooms, we were told that furloughs were to be expected for this coming year. We were also told that we would probably lose at least one teacher per department with the entire school going back to a 7 period day in order for the rest of the teachers to fill the vacancy of the one who was let go. So if they did keep me (which is doubtful since I was the last hired), I would be looking at teaching six classes with a fifty minute planning period which will probably be lost to duties (right now I spend 30 min. during my planning monitoring a hallway during lunch) or covering another class.

Subs were the next thing on the list. One teacher today was told that she might get request for leave for her medical appointment approved. More than likely teachers will need to expect to cover other classes during their planning in lieu of a sub.

Classes would have close to 38 students per teacher, but they'll still expect to see a steady increase in passing test scores. In the meantime, thousands of dollars in government funds will be put towards a breastfeeding classroom where pregnant teens can be taught to breastfeed and store their milk during the day. Two teacher-student liasons were hired to mediate and be an outlet for students. And a four thousand dollar poster maker was purchased so that ALL of our standards could be "blown up" and wallpapered in our rooms.

I'll probably be the one they let go...unless they finally get our department head to retire. But I have to say, I'm not sure I'll be all that upset when it happens. Not if it's going down like this. My only regret is that if I can't fine employment in this poor job market, I might end up severely messing up my credit until I could get back on my feet. :(

3. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Dec 11, 2008

I already teach six classes a day with one prep that is a 46 minutes long. My classes have over 30 kids. Two of my classes I do not have enough desks for all the kids - and it is December!s

We too cover classes when subs are tight.

4. ebrillblaiddes

ebrillblaiddes Companion

Dec 11, 2008

Yay priorities. Because the kids in the 1800s that did calculus at 12 had lots of special services and didn't really need knowledgable teachers with enough time to teach them and care about them as individuals.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2008

Calculus at 12?? Back then, most kids were done with school by 12.

MIght those funds have been committed before the economy tanked?

6. Sheba

Sheba Companion

Dec 11, 2008

One of the best places to be during a recession is in school, whether as a teacher or student. Somewhere, some institution wants you.

BTW, where were kids learning calculus at age 12 in the 1800s?

7. ByCandleLight

ByCandleLight Rookie

Dec 11, 2008

Good grief. I don't see how you do it. I have an average of 25 kids per class right now and some days I want to tear my hair out. Of course, it also depends on the students themselves. One class I could double with the same kids...even triple it...and it would still be heaven. They're not perfect, but they're respectful, try, are curious, and a joy to be around. My other class though?! OMG. Collectively they manifest all the traits I cannot stand: amusement at their own laziness and ignorance, a skewed sense of respect which is often one-side, infantile responses and social development, etc... Some days my head just starts pounding after 30 min. My third class is a nice mixture of students who are fairly motivated with a couple of class clowns peppered in here and there. 3 classes, 90 min. block schedule. I've taught on a year-long period schedule at the middle grade level where a lot of my planning period was eaten up with parent, team, admin conferences and an occasional covering of classes, but I've never looked ahead to a time where it would be a standard practice.

And while I'll be the first to say that teaching doesn't need more money thrown at it, it pisses me off that we're losing staff but keeping other supplemental "resources" that I find ridiculous. And yeah, other countries teach much higher student-teacher ratio classrooms, but the majority of these also don't have a social structure that puts education on the lower rungs and respect for authority figures even lower.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 12, 2008

ByCandleLight, I am and have been in similar situations. It's not fun. It's nerve wracking now knowing what's going to happen. I am on a temporary contract this year. I am lucky to have this job, but unfortunately, it's on a temp contract, which means I will be automatically pink slipped. If I am a great teacher, then the P may put in a good recommendation for me to either continue teaching in this position, or if that gets filled in another position, once all of the prob 1s and 2s have been placed. So, my chances of being rehired is pretty slim and being in this same position is even slimmer. PLUS, in our district, there is talk of going from 20 to 30 kids in kindergarten through first. So, that makes things even more stickier! There are MANY MANY teachers retiring at the end of this school year, but who knows if that'll be enough to help me. I am crossing my fingers that they don't increase enrollment to 30. If not, then I may have a good chance of getting rehired. But, at my last school district, I was royally screwed by the P who had ulterior motives and forced me to quit. It was horrible. I think budget crises had a lot to do with it and wanting someone he knew to take my position, knowing how hard it is to get a job. It stinks right now. Oh, and this P who forced me to quit. He told me ALL two years I was in that district what a great job I was doing. And since he was also a pretty bad P (the last school begged for a new P) he has his own coach that the district spent hundreds of thousands on. Being a teacher is wonderful, but there are other parts of education that is disgusting... :mad: