Is the economy affecting any other district?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by SocWkr-Tchr, Feb 12, 2009.

1. SocWkr-Tchr

SocWkr-Tchr Rookie

Feb 12, 2009

I just graduated in Dec. and was hired in Jan. Wow! I was thrilled. It's rare in my area to have an opening mid-year. When I was interviewed I was told that the school district was going to have to do some "budget adjustments," so in all fairness to the school, they did give me a heads up.

I found out a few weeks ago that although the district is reducing the teaching positions by 13, my position was safe, Spec. Edu. There are no plan to reduce Spec. Edu. teachers.

But I just found out that another teacher who has had his position cut, is opting to "bump" me out of my position because he has a Spec. Edu. certification he can do that. I'm very sad about this. I totally understand where this other teacher is coming from, and I hold nothing against him. It just sucks.

Hired, worked, and told that I'm being "let go" even before my first pay check. :(

3. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Feb 12, 2009

I'm sorry this happened! I feel for you, that is a truly unfortunate situation. And you did nothing to deserve it. Timing is everything. You are obviously a stellar teacher though, or you would not have been hired so quickly. Let's hope you are hired again just as quickly for a new position somewhere.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2009

I'm sorry to hear this. I echo Shelly in that you must have something special to get hired so quickly and mid-year in an area that generally doesn't hire mid-year, so I'm sure that you can find another job just as fast.

5. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Feb 13, 2009

To answer your question, yes the economy is affecting other districts. This is my tenure year, so I'm nervous about getting cut. We keep hearing rumors about "all non tenured have to go" or "some non-tenured" and it's scary. I just want to be told something, instead of just having to listen to everyone's opinions on the matter!

6. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Feb 13, 2009

It happens everywhere and I'm sorry to hear the news. Just think though, that experience will look fantastic on your resume! Sometimes you just have to put a positive spin on a cruddy situation.

My district is going to be cutting people as well, I'm in my second year so I'm low on the totem pole too and always in fear of getting cut. Heck, last year I received a pink slip (due to technicalities) but was rehired.

7. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Feb 13, 2009

that sitnks! sorry about your job, maybe someone will retire or something lucky like that for you !

8. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Feb 13, 2009

I am sorry to hear that! It does suck, but I agree with the others that something else will come up. That is amazing that you got hired so quickly! I'm in my 5th year and I definately know that I could still get bumped. I think I'm past being redundant, but getting bumped to another school is still possible. It is, unfortunately, just part of the process. Good luck finding a new position.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2009

I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this. We had to deal with this during my first year of teaching!!! Although it was a blessing I was "pink" slipped.

Hopefully you'll find something even better!!!

I think it's only going to get worse. I hear our Gov. is cutting student spending by $59 a kid....

10. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2009

I feel bad that you have to go through this. But just think now when you're looking for a job for next year you will have some experience. Good luck and you never know if there are teachers who will be leaving the district and make it so there is still a job for you.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2009

:hijack: Our budget cut $108 per student.

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2009

I am sooo sorry to hear that... I wish the best to you.

13. SocWkr-Tchr

SocWkr-Tchr Rookie

Feb 13, 2009

Thanks for the support everyone!

I am totally keeping a positive frame of mind. I realize that this 1/2 year will put me one up one recent graduates and that I am positive that I will find a job for next year. Plus, I now know that I will be more focused on HS and not middle school.

Still, it bums me. Today was an awesome day, which just makes it even tougher. But some days the hormones of middle school are more than what I want to deal with. I am better with more mature students, even if they do have behavioral disabilities or lack social skills.

14. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Feb 17, 2009

Did you hear this from the other teacher or administration??

15. SocWkr-Tchr

SocWkr-Tchr Rookie

Feb 18, 2009

I heard it from the administration.

However, I was also told today that it looks like I'm "safe" and now won't be losing my job but I won't know for sure until later.

I feel like I'm on a roller coaster.