Is teaching "work" for you?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Sep 6, 2010.

1. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 7, 2010

you don't unless you take graduate classes. Going for a master's isn't worth it because what you make after your master's is a ton less than the money you paid for it.

2. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 8, 2010

This is a good question.
    Got me thinking.

For many years I woke up each day ready to rumble and looking forward to my teaching day. The past 2 years, maybe 3, I have had to push to get myself to school - work - and do the job. I think for me it didn't used to be a job, but now it is. Mainly because I don't sleep anymore, am always tired, and some days it just doesn't feel worth it to be there.

Good thought provoking question.

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 8, 2010

Yes, I certainly consider it work. If money were no object & I was still doing a certain career, then that would be for the pure joy of doing it...& yes, I'd still expect to get paid, but then it would be more about getting paid for my time than the actual labor it entailed.

4. Miz_Aich

Miz_Aich Rookie

Sep 8, 2010

Absolutely! During my student teaching, I worked with a teacher who would be retiring at the end of the year. Once I asked her how much easier teaching was with so much experience and her reply was something like 'Why would you think it's easier? I may have taught for years and years, but I've never taught THESE children before. I've never taught with the same life experiences to bring to my teaching before. Even the most seasoned, professional educator must continue to WORK in order to be effective.'

I haven't taught for a great number of years or anything, but I do revamp things every year. Yes, there are tried and true activities and lessons that I know work for MOST children MOST of the time, but great teaching should be work in my opinion. I love my job, and my kids are wonderful, but I don't think I could handle teaching if it didn't present the challenges it does. That would be so boring!

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2010

I just want to say again, after today, that teaching is work. :dizzy:

6. Navigator

Navigator Rookie

Sep 8, 2010

Teaching is definitely work.

It's 9:15, and I'm sitting in my wife's classroom while she plans her last lesson of the day. I finished my planning at 6:00, but I'm an experienced teacher with two preps, and she's a first-year teacher with four. I definitely feel like what I did between 3:00 and 6:00 was work, and my wife would certainly call what she's been doing for the past six hours work.

Like a lot of you, I enjoy the time I spend with my students so much that it doesn't feel like work. Then, again, many rewarding careers are probably like this: they involve periods of pure joy and periods of grinding labor.

7. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 9, 2010

THIS job (I am working as a special ed aide) is like getting paid for having fun. I love the children I am working with. They are making progress and I just enjoy each day. I walk out of work each day having no responsibility but for showing up the next day. I wake up in a panic everyday like - "What do i have to do today and what don't I have ready???" and then realize that I don't have that responsibility. I don't HAVE plans - but I work with children to discover the learning strategies that work for them.

I am doing what i love and being paid for it.

What could be better?

Well... the pay is really low (about half the salary of a starting teacher), though i know they are happy I'm there - I feel like I'm nameless ("the aide". They are nice to me - but my job description boasts that I don't even have to have a college degree...only 30 hours of schooling... and I am "looked upon" - or I feel I am given the credit - as someone who is "not as good or equal" as the teachers, even though I hold two different teaching certificates and over 7 years experience), and... strangely to those of you who might HATE it as part of YOUR job...I LIKE lesson planning and all the responsibilities that "FULL" teaching requires...and I miss it dearly.

This is like a paid vacation...nice if I were retired, but i ACHE for the full job.

8. Starista

Starista Cohort

Sep 9, 2010

This got me thinking.. would I still teach full time for the salary I receive IF my husband and I won the LOTTERY tomorrow?!?!

I think I would spend my day going in and out of friends' classrooms working with their fragile readers.

I would rotate daily, and allow myself an hour long lunch at an upscale "gourmet" luncheonette where they call french fries "Pomm Frittes" and have Pomegranate Tea on the menu :)

After lunch, I'd take a nap and then return to a friends' classroom to help with math groups in the afternoon... help with dismissal and then go home with no parents to email, papers to grade or conferences to hold. :) :)

In reality, yesterday was one of those days where teaching was NOT work for me... I think as teachers we all have days like that, and need to remember and savor those days when the going gets tough. :)

9. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 9, 2010

Years ago... I was sitting in a lunchroom...and a fellow teacher said, "I'm so glad that my husband has a good paying, promising career...so that i can keep up my hobby of teaching."

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2010

For the record, if it weren't work, then my feet probably wouldn't hurt this much at the start of the school year.

When I play I wear flip flops or sneakers. I work in heels. :)

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2010

Alice, I don't wear heels, but my feel hurt too! It's really sad when your feet are sore when you get up in the morning.

Teaching is definitely work, and hard work at that. It is, however, the work I love!

12. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 9, 2010

Teaching is definitely work. You can't just walk into the classroom, open the book to page 50 and expect the kids to instantly grasp the material as you read over the sample problems.

The planning, writing, grading, enrichment activities, differentiating lessons and everything else requires a lot of extra time, but the end result is worth all the effort.

I worked in healthcare purchasing for 13 years and loved it, but it was definitely work when I had to unload a truck in the middle of winter. It was also a pretty thankless job. Nobody ever noticed when I was doing my job right (because they weren't running out of supplies), they only noticed my job when I did something wrong. They also noticed when they THOUGHT I had done something wrong, but had not. When I was the purchasing mgr, the administrator came to my door one day and cussed me out (while standing in the hallway and YELLING into my office) because the nurses didn't have enough linen (sheets, towels, etc) over the weekend and one of them called him at 11:30pm on Saturday night. Of course, if the nurse had called the LAUNDRY (instead of the administrator), she would have discovered we had PLENTY of linen on hand, but that was too much trouble. So, yeah, the job could be a pain in the butt a lot of times, but I still loved doing it.

Now, however, I can't think of anything I would rather be doing. Teaching is what I was meant to be do in my life. I realize that now and I will do whatever needs doing to continue teaching. I got a call at 5:30am this morning to drive a bus for a different school. I got to the garage only to discover there was no route sheet at all. The principal wasn't even sure where the first stop was, but I got on the road while he found out the info and he called me by radio in plenty of time. I found all the kids and got them to school in time for their first class.

If I won the lottery, you better believe I would STILL continue teaching for as long as I could get up and carry myself into the school. And, yes, I would do it for free (IF I won the lottery).

Unlike my purchasing job, I got TONS of positive feedback every day from the kids. Even on the bus route this morning, the first few kids I picked up were students I had during my very first sub assignment two years ago. They are in HS now. It wasn't until about the 4th one got on the bus that they finally recognized me. The girl started to get on the bus, looked up and said "Oh my gosh, it's Mr. Bean" The other kids looked up and said "OH YEAH. HEY, How are you doin', Mr. Bean" (that was their nickname for me at that school). So the trip in to school was a blast.

I don't know any other job in the world that gives that kind of reward.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2010

That was this morning!!

So today I wore the comfy wedges with the rubber soles :D

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2010

I was chasing little crying kindergarten students around half of the day today--I wore my Sketchers!

15. Navigator

Navigator Rookie

Sep 9, 2010

I bruised my heel badly doing the skills test for my ropes course instructor certification, and it is KILLING me! Today felt like work, because the heel was aching all day long. I've taught while I was rehabbing a torn anterior cruciate ligament (right knee), and this seemed to hurt just about as much.

16. Simba

Simba Comrade

Sep 9, 2010

I ABSOLUTELY consider teaching work.

The past 2 days I feel more like a counselor than a teacher to my at-risk students.

Don't get me wrong, I believe teaching and counseling go hand and hand, but...wow, my past 2 days I feel completely drained.

Sometimes, my heart just aches for them. I try to tell myself while I can't SAVE all my students, I can try to help them make better choices. Some days are easier than others.

Today has really been a tough day.

Please hang in there everyone.

By the way,...my feet hurt too.