Is teaching for me?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Rousseau8x, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Rousseau8x

Rousseau8x New Member

Mar 15, 2009

Hi all, I'm new here :). I'm a first year student teacher, and so far I really like teaching. However, my first Teaching Practice has been with younger kids- the degree I am doing is to teach in high schools.

I haven't done Teaching Practice or dealt with teenagers yet. Basically I am wondering, how do you know if teaching is for you? Next year we go on teaching placement for a whole semester and I'm really nervous that I'm going to screw things up (in relation to classroom management issues etc!!!), because once I get nervous I just mess my lessons up. I am quite young (18) and from my own experience in school, student teachers/ subs/ young teachers got a really hard time. I don't know if I'm emotionally mature enough/ strong enough to handle the stress!.

Our new lecturer constantly repeats that teaching "isnt for the faint hearted" and that we have to know that we want this, it isn't just a vocation, its not like working in a factory etc.... but how do you know if it is what you really want?:dizzy: Sorry if my post isn't to the point (I realise I'm ranting/venting a bit), any tips would be appreciated though! Thanks:D

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 15, 2009

True enough that teaching isn't for the faint of heart, Rousseau8x...

.. and when the strong of heart have had it up to here with The Little Darlings of whatever age, be assured that they vent. And rant. And, in language polite or otherwise, inform the universe at large that the specs coded into the DNA of Child X just possibly should have been rethought and reconsidered and probably redone. What's more, a good deal of said venting and ranting happens precisely here, at A to Z.

So welcome to the playground, Rousseau8x... and even those who are at pains to dissuade you from stringing up one or another not-so-little malefactor by his or her toenails will sympathize with your distress.

High schoolers are a good deal like the human race, and that's both the bad news and the good news. They are incredibly, gallingly, vexingly self-important and self-absorbed, and it's normal for their age... and then they-singular-or-plural will blow you away with a level of insight and idealism that makes your heart melt and ache at the same time, and that's also normal for their age.

To get a better sense of Whether This Is For You, find a school to volunteer at, and go be a fly on the wall if you can.

4. Teach_NJ

Teach_NJ Rookie

Mar 15, 2009

You're 18, and they're going to place you in a high school class as a student teacher? :eek:

Good luck. Remember to keep your private life private, and that you're not their friend - you're their teacher. Gods bless you.

5. seduflow

seduflow Companion

Mar 15, 2009

how is that even possible?

6. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Mar 15, 2009

I'm a very young teacher. I'm only 23. I feel as if a lot of students AND adults don't take me seriously. I dress professionally and do EVERYTHING that I am expected to do and more. I agree, separate your personal life and professional life. Wow, I can't believe they're giving you placements already. I didn't get into a classroom until my 3rd year of college.

I agree with your professor, teaching is NOT for the faint hearted. I'm not trying to scare you by any means, but your first year is going to be TOUGH to say the least. You will get little sleep and cry at times. My only advice is not to internalize anything. It is what it is. Teachers can only do so much, so don't take it to heart if something doesn't go the way you want it to.

You'll be fine. You're only 18, so you'll grow into a great teacher. Good luck!!!!!

7. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Mar 15, 2009

Ok so this is your first year in school? and you're already student teaching? That doesn't sound right... or are you just observing and not in a classroom full time teaching?

I would not student teach in high school if I was only 18. I am 24 and chose to student teach in middle school because I still think high school was too close to my own age. If you don't plan on teaching teenagers I really don't see the point either.

If you are only doing observations, that may be different. If you look older or can fake it - go totally professional suit and all - then MAYBE.

8. hopefulnovice

hopefulnovice Rookie

Mar 15, 2009

18 is way too young for teaching high school...What is your story? If you are a freshman in college, you are not supposed to even be in the teacher preparation program yet. Did you start college earlier?

If you did start earlier and now is the time for you to student teach, I would wait if I were you. Take additional classes, take a break from school and work, do something other than student-teach. This is my first year in high school, I am almost 30, and I'm having the most difficult time of my entire life. :help:

If you are working toward secondary teaching certificate, aim for midle school! I really miss my middle school student-teaching time...In a couple years try high school.

Good luck!

9. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Mar 16, 2009

Our district wont let you do any teaching - student, sub, or full time - for HS until you are 23.

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2009

My college program started ed practicums in the freshman year, but only as observations. I taught pre-k lessons in sophomore year but didn't get into heavy practicums until junior year.

How do you know teaching is for you? I guess I might not be the best one to answer this since I've wanted to teach since I was 4 years old. But its simple...I wanted to make a difference in the life of a child. I love teaching all subjects. I also know that secondary ed is not for me.

See how your experiences go...I wouldn't try to decide if its for you or not until you experience the practicum. My former roomie left the education major sophomore year when she realized she just wanted to do social work. Another good friend went into library science after graduation because she didn't really want to teach. Sometimes it just hits you. Other times, you love it and can't imagine doing anything else. GL!

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2009

PS- if you are only 18, you have plenty of time to decide!

12. Raye

Raye Rookie

Apr 15, 2009

I am currently a student teacher and at 24, I'm now finding that maybe I'm a little too close in age to the students I'm with (15-18). I'll jump on the bandwagon and agree that the age of 18 is definitely way too young to be teaching high school.

If you want to know whether or not teaching is for you, I suggest that you do some observation and participation to see just how crazy things can get. You might walk in thinking that you've seen school because you've endured it yourself. Well, try looking at it from the teacher's perspective. With O&P, you are given the task to monitor things like the teacher's lessons, classroom management, and rapport with the students. I wasn't scared off by O&P so that's why I followed through with my decision to enter teaching.

However, as much as possible, try to experience other jobs before you decide to go into teaching. Even if you like kids, that does not necessarily mean the job is for you. At your age, there's still lots of time left before you make any career commitments.