Is teaching for me? First year teacher ready to Quit (Again)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kg062007, Aug 21, 2013.

1. kg062007

kg062007 Rookie

Aug 21, 2013

Okay so, I have a biology degree and my first option is med school and I'm in the process of applying to med school now.

I thought teaching would be something I could do in the mean time. However, teaching is so anxiety provoking for me. After work I just want to eat loads of calories and sleep for hours. Because I sleep right after school, I get behind on preparing lessons and paperwork. I've taught 8th grade this year and quit after two days. Im teaching HS chemistry now and its a lot less stressful, but I still spend the days sleeping and the nights tossing and turning. I have taught chemistry for 2 days now on my third day of work (today), I called in sick because I didn't get any sleep last night and was in no shape to teach anything today. Im just hating life now. I know I am an introvert, but I didn't think I was so pathetic I could never hold a regular job. I honestly have never had to be at a specific place from 7-4 everyday. I can't see myself working full time. I have depression and I've tried everything to treat it. The only thing that helps is lots of exercise and sunlight, which have become absent in my life since teaching. I think maybe ill try a job working in nature, or working in research, something where I can be alone.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2013

It sounds like you have already made up your mind that teaching is not for you. If it's about time management, maybe some science teachers can help you out so that you aren't spending too much time on lesson planning. It can be time consuming, but shouldn't take up most of your evenings. You could always hold some of your classes outside as well. I know our chemistry teacher did that a lot last year.

4. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 21, 2013

I don't think teaching is something you do "in the mean time". Many realize they are not fit to be teachers due to the time dedication and endless amounts of work. I do not mean to come off rude but I think you should find a job, perhaps retail or an administrative assistant, to fill the "mean time". Teaching is a career , not a job.

5. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Aug 21, 2013

:thumb:

6. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Aug 21, 2013

It sounds like you just haven't found the right field of work yet. Your issues make me wonder if you'll enjoy the medical field, because, like teaching, it requires set hours (and sometimes extra hours) and lots of responsibility. Working in research probably won't help you get a dose of sunlight and exercise; it will just allow the depression to take over that part of your life (IMO).

Regarding teaching directly, it can't be good for you or your students if you are severely unhappy. As a person who went to school to become a science teacher (I did not choose this as an interim while I wait for something else), it is annoying to hear, as I do frequently, that there are so many people with your background competing for jobs with people who want to make teaching their life's work. There seems to be nothing holding you to this job, so I recommend looking for something that will make your life a bit rosier, and I wish you the best of luck.

7. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 21, 2013

The OP stated they taught 8th grade this year and quit after two days. He/she is currently teaching chemistry and has called in sick after three days. So after two days of quitting one teaching job you found another in such a short amount of time. Why take another teaching job if you knew you couldn't handle one for two days? This thread sounds a little fishy to me. :2cents:

8. kg062007

kg062007 Rookie

Aug 21, 2013

I live in a place where teaching jobs are abundant, and I thought the only reason I didn't like the first job was because of the 8th graders. I thought if I taught more mature students it would be better, and it is better but im still exhausted.

9. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Aug 21, 2013

A. Concerning the bolded sentence, are you SURE med school is for you? I can't even imagine how far BEYOND full-time that kind of career would be.

B. To be perfectly blunt (while still caring), you sound like you may need some professional help. If you're depressed and saying things like "I'm so pathetic" (which you're not. No one is.), then you either need to talk to someone or if you already have a professional, make an appointment to see them with these concerns.

We recently had another thread with a similar conclusion, but her reasons for not wanting to go to work were completely different. You don't sound like someone who "doesn't fit teaching," you sound like someone who needs help.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2013

Definitely.

So, the school year just started, kg...you've already secured two teaching jobs, quit one, and are considering quitting the other...with no mention of a teaching license...makes me just a bit curious how someone with no experience and no intention of making teaching a career was able to get hired twice...I'm sure the frustrated job seekers would love to know your job seeking tips. At least I'm sure everyone would like to know where teaching jobs are 'so abundant' that you were able to land two within, what, a week of each other...:confused:

Kg..I am concerned for you.

11. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Aug 21, 2013

I bet once your body gets used to your new schedule you will be able to sleep less and get more done. I just finished teaching at a summer academic science camp for middle school and elementary and I was exhausted for the first week or so. However week 2 got better and week 3 was better than week 2. We did a lot of planning at night and most afternoons so it was similar in many ways to teaching school.
    Maybe you just need some time for your body to adjust to your new schedule?

Also maybe you should go and seek professional help for your depression and anxiety. It would be horrible if you gave up on a career due to something fixable.Have you thought about adding a daily walk or exercise outside to your day? It might help you sleep at night, and feel better over all.

12. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 21, 2013

Where do you fortunate enough to live where teaching jobs are so abundant? I'm not trying to jump to conclusions, but in my mind I would think a principal/district would look at your short job history and have some major concerns. Have you always wanted to go into teaching? Did you have any sort of student teaching experience? Something here isn't adding up correctly.

13. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 21, 2013

So, you got your teaching certification on the way to enrolling in med school and becoming a doctor? That's a rather unusual progression. And you are certified in both biology AND chemistry?

I, too, am curious about where you live that teaching jobs are so abundant that you are able to get TWO jobs apparently within a week or two. That is truly remarkable. I'm sure job seekers would like to know your secret, as well as your location. Many frustrated members of this forum are willing to relocate to a place where jobs are more plentiful.

14. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Aug 21, 2013

Don't forget---she's qualified for a job in nature or research as well in the mean time.

15. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 21, 2013

Residency should be fun if the stresses of teaching is difficult. You might want to re-think your long term plan.

I suggest you seek help for your anxiety issues. I wish you the best. The first few years of teaching is difficult. Seek out a mentor for help.

Also, let us know the area you teach in since jobs are so plentiful. I know many people looking for work. They would love to move and take one of your jobs since you managed to land 2. You can pm me if you want.

16. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2013

I agree with the others about the concerns about med school, mainly because med school is arguably more stressful than a full time job. And thinking after medical school, residency is like working two full time jobs. My husband is a resident and he has some 80 hour work weeks and 24 hour shifts. I do think teaching is tough, but it's honestly nothing compared to what my husband is doing now. That's something to consider.

Also, teaching is not something you do while waiting for something better to come along. The first year of teaching is really difficult and it only gets better with more time and experience. Planning lessons for the first time is time consuming and stressful; I do feel for you. There are many jobs that will require you to be somewhere for about 8 hours so that's something to consider. I wish you all the best.

17. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 21, 2013

Homeschooled? How did you manage student teaching because you had to be there all day?

Also, the professions you mentioned are more than full time jobs.

:whistle:

18. kg062007

kg062007 Rookie

Aug 21, 2013

Everybody is asking where teaching jobs are so abundant? The places where very few people have a college degree and no one wants to live. If you want work, try the deep south more specifically the Mississippi Delta. Not a lot of people want to live or work here. There is no entertainment, third world poverty, racism, highest obesity rates in the country, hot and humid, education system is broken, and starting pay for teachers is 30k. Teachers who have been teaching for 10 years may get 38k.

I have been seeking help for depression and anxiety. I have tried 3 antidepressants so far but they all have horrible side effects. I can not afford therapy. There is a county health system that gives discounted mental health, but you can only get in to see the psychiatrist ONCE every two months. I'm at wits end. My family does not understand and I really do have no one to talk to.

19. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 21, 2013

Hugs to you!

I'm dealing with exhaustion as well. I keep wondering if it's because of life circumstances-baby up at night, recovering from an illness, husband not home during the week to help out, new teaching job-or if it's something more. I'm taking iron and Vit. D in the morning, and am going to schedule some blood work to make sure it's not something more. I, too, just want to come home and lay on the couch at night. I'm trying to find one project each night work on, just to power through it.

I feel your physical pain, though. Low energy is no joke!

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2013

:hugs:, Jem! You put your everything into all you do!

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2013

Umm, Jem.... that's how I always knew I was pregnant :whistle:

Just sayin.....

OP, you know when you're on a plane, and the flight attendant is giving her spiel?? She always says that when the oxygen masks pop down, you need to put one on yourself before you help anyone else... you can't help others if you're incapacitated.

Find a free mental health clinic and get to a better place, then start thinking about a long term career. It doesn't sound as though you're the right person to be guiding a group of teenagers at the moment.

22. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Aug 21, 2013

Keep trying, sometimes it can take quite a while to find the right medication, or perhaps even mix of medication, for you, but if you are suffering from clinical depression and anxiety, it will likely be worth it to find the right one.

Do you have a primary care physician or a clinic near you that may be an affordable option? Many primary doctors will prescribe and monitor antidepressants and that can be a much more affordable option.

You may also want to see if there are any therapists near you who work on a sliding scale if you feel that therapy might help.

23. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 21, 2013

Alice-don't even put that into the universe!!! ;) I took a test two weeks ago, actually, because I felt like I was in first trimester again! Thankfully, it was negative.

I think it's just life right now-a huge move, liquidating my business, setting up a classroom, starting a school year, all pretty much on my own with a 1 year old-in a matter of a month. I'm counting down the days until our week-long break in October!!! ;)

24. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 21, 2013

Jem,

How do you feel when you wake up in the mornings? How are you sleeping at night?

I had reached the point where once I got home I stopped functioning! I have sleep apnea.

25. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 21, 2013

Again, work is hard.

I never had a job of any kind until teaching. It absolutely kicked my butt! Two days? What were they doing that was so bad that two days was it? I've taught both high and middle school. Two very different types of situations, but not vastly different.

Medical school? That's not going to be any easier.

I'd guess the depression and anxiety issues are the problem more than teaching.

26. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 21, 2013

For over 90% of the people out there, teaching is a terrible place to be for only a year or two. You really have to pay your dues and put a lot of effort into creating lessons, getting trained, and developing into an effective teacher. I wouldn't suggest you staying in it if your heart is toward medical school. It might be interesting and a good learning experience to finish out the year, but unless you really, really, want to stay after that....I wouldn't. Good luck to you. We need good doctors.:)

27. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 21, 2013

:agreed:

Sounds like a great idea. We had a med student who did the same as you did, and she was kind to the children, but never could manage her students and struggled greatly with their behavior.

28. kevo2005

kevo2005 Companion

Aug 21, 2013

As far as the job situation, in my area if your science or special education and even math you will find a job. I applied for 30, got interviews for 26, and offered 19. Depending on the certification, which chemistry would be a high need area. I have composite science (8-12), special education (ec-12), and educational diagnostician (ec-12) and I was getting phone calls for jobs I didn't apply for. That's why I think advisors should advise future teachers on the job outlook for certifications.

OP good luck, get well, find yourself, own it, and do the best you can! That's all anyone can ask.

29. kg062007

kg062007 Rookie

Aug 21, 2013

I've pretty much made up my mind at this point. I have to take the teachers edition of the books back tomorrow and formally quit, even though I have only been there two days and have not signed any kind of contract. I honestly feel like the kids deserve a better teacher. Problem is, in this area they may not get another. FOR ALL YOU PEOPLE LOOKING FOR JOBS, THE MISSISSIPPI DELTA HAS PLENTY. You just have to put up with lots of backwoods rednecks, and trailers are the most abundant type of housing here so you may have to live in one.;)

30. kab164

kab164 Companion

Aug 21, 2013

I wish you well but I am a little curious how you will handle the hours a doctor puts in. It's much more intense than teaching. I also feel that you might benefit from counseling. Take a deep breath, try to relax and talk to a friend, family member or counselor. Teaching is tough the first few weeks but it does get much better. Most things that are valuable aren't easy at first. Good luck!

31. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2013

When I was teaching at a camp this summer, I met a lady from that area and she was telling me about the racism there; it was so shocking! I definitely wouldn't be able to...

I hope everything works out well for you and I hope this decision is good for you. :)

32. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 22, 2013

Best of luck to you. Now what will you do?

33. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 22, 2013

kpa-this morning was the first morning I actually felt rested in a long time. It's because Henry is up 2-3 times a night. I just can't figure out how to wean him. :(

34. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2013

Oh my. Not exactly what I'd call a 'bedside manner' for a doctor or kind, understanding and accepting as anything else.:|:wow:

35. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2013

I wish you the best of luck in the future, kg.

36. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 22, 2013

That was rude. I know plenty of very good people that have lived in trailers.

37. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Aug 22, 2013

I work in the Mississippi Delta too, and I love it. I have great kids and coworkers. Our school is fifty/fifty black/white and yes there are racial cliques but no real racism. I'm from the city and have worked in nice private schools, but much prefer the people out here.
    Anyway, I hope you feel better soon.