Is subbing really the best option?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by PenCelia, Sep 10, 2006.

1. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

Sep 10, 2006

Hey ya'll

I'm getting really nervous now because my money is running really low. I had been teaching in Va for two yrs and decided to return home to new england. The problem is that it is extremely hard to get a teaching job in this area. I was unable to find a teaching job this summer, eek This means I'm colabraing health insurance and subbing. I have also signed up for tutoring but no cases have come in thus far. The subbing is slow because it is the beginning of the year. I keep on looking at jobs in FL and think I could get a job there. It would relief the financial burden for now but my big question is: Is it going to take subbing in schools around here for me to get a job in this area. I have heard that for one position in this area they had over 180 applicants. I did the aide thing for two yrs before I moved to VA and that didn't seem to get me in. It is also hard to have another full time job too when you want to be available to sub. Do you think subbing will get me the in I need>? I'm getting really anxious about the money thing!

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2006

To be honest, it really depends. I know that here it is very political and you have an advantage if you know someone. That is not always the case. I know some people who have gotten jobs by subbing. The fact is subbing doesn't guarantee anything. It will give you experience to add to the resume though. My best advice is to apply to as many districts as possible to increase your chances of getting a call. When I subbed, I had to look for another job with "after school hours" to make ends meet.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 11, 2006

I agree with MissFrizzle. I worked as a long term sub in the same school all last school year and it didn't help me to get a job in that district. What subbing does do for you, though, is add more experience to your resume. You've already taught for 2 years so you've obviously got classroom experience, but by subbing it will show potential employers that all you really want to do is teach. Just because you didn't find a permanent job it didn't stop you from going into classrooms everyday.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 11, 2006

I'm positive that I got my job as a direct result of subbing. I subbed primarily at the high and middle schools, and I did two long-term English positions at the high school, and they hired me for an opening the following year. The year after that I was hired at the middle school . . .where they also knew me from subbing.