Is Special Ed right for Me??

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by deedee, Nov 9, 2005.

1. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Nov 9, 2005

Hello All!!!

First let me start off by saying how much I admire teachers who ventuer into the special educaton field. I am a college student who is dual majoring in Elementary Educaction and Special Education. I am a little concerned about entering into the special education field because I don't know i I could handel the job. Any motivational words to help feel better about this choice is greatly appreciated !! :confused:

Thanks in advance !! :love:

3. jellybean92180

jellybean92180 Rookie

Nov 9, 2005

If you feel moved to make a difference in the life of a child who has been through that many struggles, then you are right where you need to be. I have a friend that recently graduated. She is a spec ed teacher for a high school. She loves her job. She tells me all the time how much it makes her feel good to be such a motivating force in those childrens lives. I am currently student teaching in a kindergarten room. We have a student in our homeroom from spec ed. She is so sweet. She IS challenging, but she does her work and she is always smiling. I think you will find that those children really are some of the happiest children. They will lift your spirits everytime you see them smile. You will get so much joy to see their eyes light up when they understand something.

4. hatima

hatima Devotee

Nov 9, 2005

I would talk to a Special Education teacher and see if you could volunteer in his or her classroom. Right now I am in a dual licenced classroom. I'm just going for regular education, I am told I'm patient, but I know I'm not patient enough to teach full time special education. I have a strong respect for those that can teach special ed and those that can teach gifted.

5. Once EC

Once EC New Member

Nov 9, 2005

Think it over.

The kids are not be biggest challenge. It is the darn paperwork and all the legal issues. I just left this year after 13 years and it was the pressure of the paperwork that finially did me in. (And I have a son in the program because of his ADD!)

6. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 9, 2005

Hey, there Buckeye!!
    I sometimes sub for special ed teachers. In fact, I worked in an elementary MD classroom yesterday. Of course, the teacher was absent, but I saw how well the four teacher aides worked with these children. I could tell in the short time that I was there that they really loved these special children and rejoiced over their accomplishments.

I would suggest that you work with special needs children as much as you can to see if it is the right fit for you.

Where in Ohio are you attending college?

7. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Nov 9, 2005

Thanks for all your help!

Glendall- I am originally from northeast ohio near cleveland - but am in Erie,PA for college...i am at Mercyhurst ..but ill always be a Buckeye at heart!!!

8. zolar16

zolar16 Rookie

Nov 13, 2005

When I was finishing college a few years ago, I really wasn't sure if I could handle teaching special ed either. Are you willing to put a lot of effort into teaching children that may show little or no progress while they are in your care? Do you rise to a challenge, or do you back down? Finally, is teaching students with special needs something you REALLY want to do? I believe all teachers, not just those in special ed, have to feel very strongly about reaching their students. Personally, I wouldn't want to teach a gen ed classroom if ever given the opportunity. If you can't answer these questions now, I'd try to do some volunteer work in a special ed class in your area or even substitute teach. Subbing helped me figure out that I wanted to teach children with autism more than anything else. Good luck, and don't rush your decision. :)

9. teachersaide

teachersaide New Member

Nov 26, 2005

Hope this helps

I am a teacher's aide who works with a child who has Down Syndrome. I feel it takes a very special person to be able to work in the Special Ed. field. My advice to sit in a special needs classroom and even help out in one if possible. I know there is a lot of paperwork involved, but if the right person is there for these kids, the paperwork is worth every minute. This is my second year in the special ed classroom and this year has been very different than the first. The difference is the teacher. I did not have a very good expericence with the first special ed teacher I worked with, but this year is great. Our special ed teacher is dedicated, and she's not afraid of a little hard work, but most importantly she's loves these kids. These children need people who want to work with them. They need the people who are going to love and support them. I wish you luck in whatever you choose to do.
    teachersaide

10. wannabeteach

wannabeteach Rookie

Nov 27, 2005

I am a teacher's aide in a special ed classroom and while I like the teacher of the class as a person, I don't think she's cut out for teaching special ed, I wish she knew it because she's not doing herself (she's always stressed, overwhelmed and unhappy) or the kids (she's impatient with them, expecting perfection) any favors.

11. zolar16

zolar16 Rookie

Nov 27, 2005

Your first year will seem pretty overwhelming if you choose special ed, because you'll be doing several IEPs and lots of data collection, on top of other related paperwork and most or all of the paperwork the gen ed teachers at your school will have to deal with. However, I'm in my second year, and I feel like an old pro at writing IEPs, taking down notes on my kids, and writing report cards. Yes, you have more paperwork, but once you're comfortable, it's really not a big deal. Don't let that part of the job sway your decision too much.

12. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 3, 2005

Thanks everyone...Im taking my first special ed class and so far am really enjoying it.

13. justanaide

justanaide New Member

Dec 4, 2005

Special Ed right for me?

Special Ed teachers are great! We need more of them. They are very special people. Last year I subbed almost every class K-12. I was able to get and idea of what I wanted to do. I chose special ed. I work as a special ed aide for an autistic student. I also work with other resource students. I found through subbing that I really enjoyed working with these students. I believe that it takes a special person to work with these students. A person who is disciplined, yet fun. You can learn and have fun. This person also needs to be kind and patient, but firm. These kids need boundaries and they need love too. I think this person doesn't have to be extremely intellectual to do this. I think this person needs to be more well rounded. You know, able to do a little of anything. Open minded-creative. I'm not by any means saying that I am this, but I am working towards that by taking night classes. Thankfully, I work with a great group of special ed teachers. This was a change from being a florist for 12 years. I still do that on the side. This year has already been so rewarding and enjoying. I am learning so much. It sounds like you are dedicated. You can do it. It's a challenge, but it can be so rewarding. These kids need teachers like you.

LisaT.

14. glitzern02

glitzern02 Companion

Dec 5, 2005

I am also getting a special ed license, and I have realized that teaching these students takes a person who is patient and can come up with creative of presenting material. Many of these children may not grasp a concept right away, but it takes the teacher to never give up on them and offer it to them in a variety of ways. They are often the children who need guidance and friendship the most, as many of them are seen as "annoying" by other teachers and peers because of their lack of social skills and behavior. I guess it takes a special person who wants to be an advocate for the "underdog" so to speak. These children are often the most fun and unique, and it takes a caring and compassionate person to work with them. I decided to go into special ed because I want to stick up for them and make sure all students can learn and get the most out of their education, as many of them fall through the cracks. I know I don't have alot of experience in the field at the moment, but from what I have learned thus far this is what I see. Good luck in your journey! You will do great! :)

15. wanateach

wanateach Companion

Dec 7, 2005

Hey,
    I was a special ed teacher for 4 years, but that was eons ago, and now I am ready to get my feet wet again, you are all such an inspiration to me, to see what it really takes to make it work, it is all about them, the kids in your classroom-when I get my own class, I plan on treating them like my own-expecting a lot out of them, and yet giving them what they need to succeed-comfort, compassion, and all I have to give, for as long as it takes-I can't wait now, it is just the red tape I have to go through, but keep at it, like I am, something good will come of it. LORI