Is questioning others and taking opposing viewpoints a bad thing?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AlwaysAttend, Aug 9, 2017.

1. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 15, 2017

I would give you my opinion but it might not be the "right" one and "offend" someone. Lots of snowflakes get offended quite easily.

2. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 15, 2017

No need for name calling. I think this falls in line with my tone mistake earlier.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 15, 2017

I was referring to you but speaking in general referring back to my original comment that anytime someone has an opinion people have to say something about it if they don't agree with it. Sometimes many people don't give their opinions because they are afraid others will start complaining.

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 15, 2017

I have no problem listening to complaining, I do that professionally.

PrettyQueenBee likes this.
  5. PrettyQueenBee

PrettyQueenBee Rookie

Aug 15, 2017

I haven't been teaching for long either, but you've been in the profession a few years more than I have. That's the thing: Unfortunately, our state uses CC, but surface area isn't in the HS curriculum.. only 7th grade I believe. Anyway, the lady who's over math instruction for our district wanted us to throw it in anyway. I don't want to say too much or why she did it for the sake of anonymity. Never know who lurks these pages.

Nevertheless, I can see we have some differences as to how we teach and I can appreciate that. You made awesome points in your original post about the formula situation. I minored in math (stats) in college, and I had a professor who did nothing but drill formulas into our heads. He never took it upon himself to teach us how to use them... just wanted us to remember them. Needless to say I was one of the few who passed his class. I appreciate running into people on here and in life who teach the same subject as I, but are completely different. When I did my student teaching, my mentor teacher and I were polar opposites. But we learned so much from each other. Mind you she's been teaching for 15+ years. We keep in contact daily and we collaborate frequently. That's what it's all about! She didn't judge me for being different and vice versa. I'm not sure why teachers feel like fellow teachers in their content needs to teach exactly the same way or else their methods are "incorrect". What works for their students may not work for mine. Especially since I teach at an urban school (and came from one).

Speaking of those types: There's a person in this forum who will literally pop up in every topic I post in. Especially if that person senses that someone disagrees with me. It's getting creepy! I already have to deal with the men in real life who are obsessed with me. :tearsofjoy:

6. PrettyQueenBee

PrettyQueenBee Rookie

Aug 15, 2017

Some of the major differences her and I had:
    She rarely allowed the use of calculators (unless it had something to do with trig or graphing) whereas I encouraged the use of calculators.
    She required students to memorize the unit circle, whereas I gave it to them on quizzes and tests (but I told them they had to memorize negative angles and negative radians since it's so easy)
    She didn't like using powerpoint on the promethean, whereas I did.

Major things we had in common:
    Giving lots of practice problems
    No credit for a problem that didn't show work
    Deduction on late assignments
    Lock and close the door as soon as the late bell rings lol
    Accuracy: If the answer is -3, I expect to see just that. Because if it were the state test and they put 3 instead of -3, it would be marked incorrect.
    Using pencils

One of the things she learned from me that she does with her geometry class now is have them label their triangles before they do anything else: (a)adjacent, (h)hypotenuse, (o)opposite. If a student is struggling with the topic, I make it a requirement that they label their triangles with a, h, and o. But if they understand, it's their call. Most of them understood and still labeled their triangles. It helps reduce the chance of using the wrong trig identity.

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 15, 2017

I think you'll find most people just visit the new posts and their alerts. I wouldn't say anyone on these forums really care who they're posting to or about.

8. PrettyQueenBee

PrettyQueenBee Rookie

Aug 15, 2017

Oh no, trust me - he/she cares. A lot. They take shots at me and I'm not sure why. Never seen anything like it.

9. PrettyQueenBee

PrettyQueenBee Rookie

Aug 15, 2017

We've had "run-ins" in other parts of the forums. That's where it came from. You know how you have those people who are on the outside, but so thirsty to get in they'll do or say anything in hopes of someone agreeing or liking them? Those who fiend for attention because they're lacking in other areas of their miserable life? Reminds me of that.

10. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 15, 2017

I'd just send them a direct message and tell them how you feel. It might really be a misunderstanding.

11. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 15, 2017

I love how many twists and turns this thread has taken!

12. PrettyQueenBee

PrettyQueenBee Rookie

Aug 15, 2017

Same here.

13. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 16, 2017

Link 1 also discusses the serious problems within peer-reviewed research.

Link 4 also explains that there is fraud which means you must be very careful when using peer-reviewed articles because there is a growing amount of fraud in what is supposed to be accurate and accepted research. Some of the fraud was rather obvious which means the peers did not catch it. That puts peer-review in question especially in this time of publish or perish.

14. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 16, 2017

Which of these is closer to your opinion:

Sometimes McDonnalds screws up my order -> If they screw up my order, I won't be satisfied -> I shoud check my order before I leave so I am satisfied.

Some people commit crimes with guns. -> Serious problems can occur from people with guns -> We should ban all guns.

I'm assuming it will be choice 1.

Which would you say best completes this logical progression:

Peer reviewed articles can in RARE circumstances due to fraud have fake information -> if I read fake information I might get the wrong ideas ->

I should consider the source of info or I shouldn't trust most studies.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017