Is questioning others and taking opposing viewpoints a bad thing?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AlwaysAttend, Aug 9, 2017.

1. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 14, 2017

Article one discusses what it means to be peer reviewed reflecting the quality of the source it comes from.

Link 2 is a blog written by a 2nd year grad student.

Link 3 is an economic publication with no listed author.

Link 4 details fraud much like the vacine study I mentioned. You can't really stop people from committing fraud, you can only catch them.

2. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 14, 2017

Probably inappropriate if you have to ask haha

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 14, 2017

I see. We have to follow our curriculum, but we write it so it's not so bad. How do you not do vertical shift lol? Do you do all the other transformations? Vertical shift is the easiest one---I always tell them if they can't identify any of the other transformations appropriately, they can at least tell me up 3.

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 14, 2017

Everything except pythag went over my head. I used it with G&T 5th graders to make either a baseball field or school model. I can't remember which because it was over my head lol.

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 14, 2017

Fair enough on tone. I'm also a bit of a ***** at times. Insert your own word because I'm not sure if cursing is allowed here. I assume no lol.

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 14, 2017

Jeez, maybe you two should start graphing.

7. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 14, 2017

I'm always down to graph.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  8. PrettyQueenBee

PrettyQueenBee Rookie

Aug 14, 2017

We write our curriculum as well. If the class has a state test (Algebra I, II, and Geometry), we must follow the curriculum or we'll be in hot water. But if the class doesn't have a state test (Pre-calc, Bridge Math, stats, Advanced Alg. & Trig), we don't have to. The curriculum for those classes are in place for teachers who've never taught the class before or just want a structured guide to follow. AP Calc is different because those students take a test for college credit, so we have to follow that curriculum as well. Most students take Algebra I in 8th grade, which means they'll take AAT in 11th, then Pre-calc in 12th OR go straight to Pre-Calc in 11th and take AP Calc in 12th. Depends on scheduling and what the student wants. Also, yes we do all of the other transformations. They know how to graph trig functions by hand and by calculator. I teach them by hand first. You should see their facial expressions when I teach them by calculator LMAO! They get sooooo annoyed because they "could've saved so much time." They're missing the point. What if you didn't have a calculator or I decided to be petty one day and say "no calculators on today's quiz?" How would you graph it then? lol they're so cute. But honestly, I don't care for vertical shift. I think every teacher has a topic in their content that they just don't care for... Not that it's hard... just don't like teaching it. Vertical shift is mine.

9. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 14, 2017

I don't need no stinking calculator. I have the photomath app lol.

10. PrettyQueenBee

PrettyQueenBee Rookie

Aug 14, 2017

Oh, I meant to ask: To TrademarkTer- I'm assuming you've been teaching math longer than I have. Have you ever taught Geometry? If so, how do you teach Surface Area to your students? I taught it last year, and they understood everything I've ever taught except for that particular topic.

11. PrettyQueenBee

PrettyQueenBee Rookie

Aug 14, 2017

You cheater! lol

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  12. PrettyQueenBee

PrettyQueenBee Rookie

Aug 14, 2017

Let's go !!

13. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 14, 2017

I haven't been teaching too long---5 years, but I have taught geometry my first two years. When I taught geometry, we followed the Common Core, which doesn't have surface area in the HS geometry curriculum so we never taught surface area...only volume. It did seem a bit strange. What about it gave them difficulties?

14. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 14, 2017

I don't have to cover what you guys do. With that said, I like having kids find the area of their hand by tracing on graph paper. Theoretically, I might ask if that covers their entire hand and see if they could come up with a way to find the area of their entire hand. Discuss and share strategies. Find numbers using their made up strategies. Then start talking about surface area of shapes.

Unless this isn't what you mean.

15. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 15, 2017

You are absolutely correct. Excellent post! ;)