Is No One Ever Good Enough for Your Son/Daughter?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 20, 2010

How do you feel about this subject when it comes to your son/daughter?
    For those who have parents like this, what are your comments?

When it comes to this, I don't think my parents are that bad, but they feel this way to some extent & I think that's pretty normal. Yes, my parents would just love it if I brought a dr or lawyer home, but as long as they have a good job & respect, love & appreciate me, that's all they care about.

I think it goes too far when a person's son or daughter's mate can ONLY be a doctor, lawyer, or make a certain amount of money, otherwise, they aren't good enough.
    Then, it gets dicey when parents want their kids to ONLY date/marry people of a certain race. It's like it's alright for other people, but not THEIR child, which is a shame, but that's how a lot of people are.

On the other side of the fence, I think I'm a good catch & my BF is blessed to have me, but I've never been pompous about it. I'm glad I have him too because we agree on so many important issues & have the same morals & values. :)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2010

My husband and I are well suited to each other.

I hope my kids find someone who makes them as happy.

4. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Dec 20, 2010

I've always told my kids that I will stand by all of their decisions provided that those decisions don't cause them pain and provided that they always think things through thoroughly. After all, they are the ultimate experts on their own happiness. In our family, status or money mean nothing. If you are kind, considerate, non-judgemental and loving, and you are honest and work hard to make a decent life you are everything we expect. We raised our kids not to be shallow and to be open minded and accepting and that seems to have worked, because that is the kind of person each of them is presently dating as well.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2010

I don't think I've ever be in the mindset that no one will ever be good enough for my daughter, and I know I won't require her to marry a doc, lawyer, or any other career that makes lots of $$$$. I will be happy if she finds someone who treats her right and does the best he can by her. She's only 7 though so I have some time!

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2010

I want my children to find peace and happiness in their lives--who they find it with isn't important, as long as they love my kids, I'll love them.

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 20, 2010

I think my mom likes dh more than she does me! J/k. But they do adore him. They never gave me the impression that a guy wasn't good enough for me, but I think they are more than pleased with who I ended up with.

8. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Dec 20, 2010

The same happens to me. I think my family likes my husband more than they like me. My grandma even told me to behave and take care of him.LOL...

9. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 20, 2010

My parents adored my DH......his parents didn't think too highly of me, and that was ok. I was not who they wanted him to marry and made no bones about telling me.
    We have been married for 39 years, my best friend, my partner. I want for my children what I have....but ultimately it is their choice and we have to hope for the best.

10. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Dec 20, 2010

I love my SIL. He is 10 yrs older than DD and has been a good influence on her. :)

11. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2010

DD's BF just broke up with her. While I was upset because she was so upset, I'm secretly relieved--I'm hoping she'll meet someone who treats her as well as DH treats me. I always felt that the boy took her for granted. I don't care what her guy does for a living, as long as it's honest and moral.

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 20, 2010

My DD1 has been married about 15 years. I am just beginning to "like" her husband.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2010

I hope my daughter finds someone who treats her like a queen, who loves her, who puts her first, and shares her faith. Anything else is secondary.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2010

I think my parents thought, if anything, my husband was too good for me. They don't think that now, I'm sure, but in the beginning I don't think they knew what to make of him.

He grew up in the city. And by city I mean the big city of our county with a whopping population of 2,500. So basically that means he wasn't raised on a farm. He was also an athlete, and that didn't help. One response, I kid you not, when we became a couple was But wasn't he in lots of extra-curricular activities?, as though that was a bad thing. My family can be backwards. :)

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2010

My parents LOVE my hubby we always joke who they like more!! LOL!!! I am blessed he "chose" me!!!

Our lil ones already have a plans who they may marry... the list is kinda long. The funny one is one chose a much older person!!! LOL!!! I tell this person & they laugh!!! As long as they are happy, not settling & no that marriage isn't always easy & they do need support of their spouse & support that their family will give them both...

16. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Dec 21, 2010

My kids are still rather young, but me being a teacher in a small school really works against them. I know all the kids in their class, the trouble they have been in, the trouble their siblings have caused, etc. I try not to be judgemental, but I frequently question the kids they bring to my classroom or want to go home with. Hmm, this is the kid that got sent home last year for doing X, do I really want my kid hanging out with her at her house?

17. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2010

Midwest... I am from a small town & ended up with someone across the country... You never know!!! LOL!!!