Is my career over?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by gutterballjen, Aug 12, 2013.

1. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Aug 12, 2013

I had to leave my position mid-year last year because I was not a good fit for the position. Long story short, I was hired for a position that I was not qualified for and I didn't realize it until after I met my students. My principal gave me the option to resign for personal reasons so that I could get hired at a different district this year. When I turned in my resignation paperwork, I asked my principal if I could use her as a reference, and she said yes.

So far this summer, I've had 8 interviews. Three of them showed real promise, one of them felt like it was "The One". One of the principals I met with said that out of 88 applicants, I was the only one she just had to meet. She said she loved my website, and that I was exactly who she wanted on her staff. She said that she'd offer me the position right then, but that she had to call references per district policy. I gave her my reference card. The next day, she called to say she had contacted all of my references except for my former principal. I gave her the former P's cell phone number. A few hours later, I got an e-mail saying the position had been offered to another candidate. I was heartbroken.

I had an interview the next day where the principal also seemed really excited about me and told me to expect a call from him once he got the go ahead from personnel. I waited a week and nothing.

I finally broke down and applied with a recruiter. He said my resume was perfect, that there didn't need to be any changes. When I told him about my experience and interviews, he said I should have been given an offer by now. It's rare to have so many interviews without an offer.

So here's my question, could my former P be giving a bad reference? Is it still possible to get a job at this point? Is my career over before it ever really started?

Help!

3. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 12, 2013

What was your relationship like with your former p?

It really could just be the market. I have had 4 interviews and no offers. This hasn't happened to me before.

I don't think she would allow you to resign so that you could look elsewhere, and say she'll be your reference, and then trash you. Does she seem like that kind of person?

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2013

Were you part of a union in your former district? If so, contact them. The fact that a principal told you the job was yours as soon as she talked to your former P is proof that she's giving you a bad reference.

We all suspected my former P was doing this, but we simply couldn't prove it. Then one of the teachers was told she had the position and that contacting her last P was just a formality for paperwork that they needed to fill out for hiring. After talking to our P, they rescinded the offer. The union lawyer was able to draft up some formal letter for her that basically said if it continued they'd begin a lawsuit. Our P was under high pressure from the district to not mess up any references after that. Before this happened, no one out of the 20 something people looking had found a position, and afterwards about 15 of those found jobs.

You could also risk telling schools that seem really interested in you that you can provide numerous other positive references, but you and the principal weren't a good fit. You risk sounding bitter or like you're the one with the problem, but if your P is giving you a bad reference you don't have much choice.

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2013

My principal offered to be references for everyone, and then proceeded to give bad ones. We think that she was required to say she'd allow future districts to call her, and that's why she agreed in the first place. Also, apparently our district thought resignations looked better than non-renewals, so they were always pushing people to resign. In the spring they even gave 800 dollar bonuses to people that resigned.

Also, I think the situation described in the OP is different than going on several interviews and just not getting any offers. In this job market, that is normal. However, she said that she was told all they had to do was contact her principal and then she lost the job.

6. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Aug 13, 2013

Sadly no. I didn't join the union last year even though I wanted to. I do have a few lawyer friends that might write something up for me though. I'm just heartbroken about the entire thing.

7. Rbart

Rbart Companion

Aug 13, 2013

I do not think your career is over. I also don't think the recruiter knows how difficult it can be to secure a position IMO. I have been on interviews and demos which I knew went great with no offer and they never even contacted my references. That being said if you think this principal is saying negative things can you use someone else?

8. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 13, 2013

I can see your point based on your experience. I just hope that such evil people are rare and that this is just a coincidence, esp. if the OP had a good relationship with that P.:(

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2013

I hope that you will join a union at your next job if it is an option for you.

10. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Aug 13, 2013

I would hate to think one person could ruin a career. :( Can you use another person as a reference?