Is my assistant doing enough?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miss J. Pre-K, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Nov 11, 2008

I'm a first-year teacher. I'm wondering if I'm giving my assistant enough to do. She seems to be inventing things for herself to do. Like one day during centers, the children were doing free art, which means they select the materials they want to use and they make their own creations. My assistant takes out some tissue paper and some white paper and cuts out a snowflake and shows it to the children. She encourages them to make snowflakes. Now, this was in October, we hadn't had snow yet!

I've talked to her about how on free art days I really want the children to explore materials and sometimes we do put out a material but children are not forced to play with it. For instance, on one day, I put out play-dough, but I had children who opted to draw instead. My assistant keeps asking me when we're going to be doing turkeys--I told her that our class seems interested in dinosaurs (they are) and I'm planning on doing a unit on dinosaurs.

I tell her what we're going to be doing for the week and ask her which activities she wants to be involved in. I've tried giving her things to cut out--she can't cut anything other than basic shapes because she cuts off things like tails on animals, etc. :confused: We've been together since mid-September, she still spells some of the kids' names wrong. I'm taking home tons of things to cut out and write because I can't trust her to not mess it up.

Personally, we get along and I do not want to hurt her feelings. But I feel I'm doing part of her job. :help: Anyone have any suggestions?

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 11, 2008

As a supervisor, it is not your job to be nice. If she can't cut out items, she is not fullfilling her job duty. Find her job description and go over it with her, with comments about the things she can not do. If she can not fullfill the basics, you might have to seek support from managment.

4. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Nov 11, 2008

I personally do not have an actual assistant and like it that way. I do ahave a woamn who covers my lucnh and takes over my class int he afternoon when I go home. I have an early lucnh and have to fit everythign in before she tkes over because I can't trust ehr to do things withthe kids-- she ends up doing them for them instead

5. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Dec 8, 2008

I think that your assistant should be doing observations on the children too because if she was in addition to seeing her perspective on the children she would know what the children are interested in. I would also suggest sitting down with her and letting her know what you expect of her and what your vision is for the classroom.