Is leaving a LTS for Full Time, burning the bridge?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Kb997, Oct 14, 2020.

?

Would you leave a Long Term Sub 1 month early for full time job in another district?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No - this looks really bad!!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. That sucks! No advice

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kb997

Kb997 New Member

Oct 14, 2020

Wondering if anyone can help with advice...I am currently working as a long term substitute for someone on maternity coming back Nov 20. It is possible I may be hired as full time teacher in another district starting the end of October. Morally, I feel terrible even considering leaving my sub job, the kids would have another sub for about 3 weeks before their teacher came back (they have only been with me since school started) and it’s a pandemic and I don’t want to stress them out more! I also don’t want to burn a bridge with the district I’m subbing....but I’ve been trying to get a full time job for a while, have been in and out of sub jobs since having my babies and really don’t want to miss this opportunity.

Do LTS’ often leave if offered full time positions? Is this a common thing? I feel like a reasonable principal might understand but it’s also a terrible time and the district I’m in is having trouble finding other subs - I really don’t want to put them in a hard place. What would you do? Really hoping for some guidance:) thank you!

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 14, 2020

I would think that most principals would understand that your long-term career has to take priority over their long-term (but shortly ending) position. You do what you need to do.

Kb997 likes this.
  4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2020

Most principals will fully support a move to a permanent position.

bella84 and Kb997 like this.
  5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2020

"Burning bridges" implies you might want to get a job at this district at some future date. If you do well in the new job, this LTS position will just be a memory in your rear-view mirror. Should you, years down the road, apply for a permanent job with that district again, admin will likely have changed, so there go the hard feelings.

bella84 and Kb997 like this.
  6. Kb997

Kb997 New Member

Oct 16, 2020 at 8:12 PM

Wow thank you so much for this great insight. I feel much better! Ps sorry it took me so long to see these, I’m new to this forum. Thank you again!

catnfiddle likes this.
  7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 17, 2020 at 10:26 AM

You're a good person for not wanting to leave the students or admin hanging, but you've gotta take the permanent job. It's a no brainer, and everyone will understand.

Tired Teacher likes this.