Is La Petite a daycare or a preschool?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by missteacher23, Jun 26, 2008.

1. missteacher23

missteacher23 Rookie

Jun 26, 2008

I just got a job at La Petite to be a pre-school teacher for 3s and 4s:).
    I am super excited but am a little confused. Is La Petite a daycare or a preschool? I am asking because I noticed in other posts when people are talking about preschool they are mentioning decorating their classroom and a principal which La Petite doesn't have. How is this different than a preschool with a principal? Thanks!!

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jun 26, 2008

La Petite probably is just using a different term for the person in charge. Maybe that person is the "director" or "center manager."

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 26, 2008

It's just different terminology for the person who's in charge. ;) Instead of Director and Assistent Director, we use Principal and Assistant Principal. My school (not La Petite, but also a chain) is pretty big on "we're a school, not a daycare" so I think that's why they use those terms.

5. missteacher23

missteacher23 Rookie

Jun 26, 2008

so then it is a preschool? lol

6. MJH

MJH Companion

Jun 26, 2008

Daycare

Here in TN it is a daycare. In order for it to be a preschool there are additonal federal and state guidelines. They may do a structured curriculum that prepares children for school but unless they meet those additional guidelines they can not be called a preschool. The additional guidelines usuall cost up to $50,000 to meet those guidelines. That doesn't mean that they are just a "babysitting" type daycare.

I taught K for years and the students that I got from La Petite had the necessary readiness skills. So, from my experience they seem to use a preschool approach but just choose not to put the money out for the term preschool in their name.

7. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jun 26, 2008

To me, a "preschool" does actual teaching, rather than having the children do free play. So, if you have a curriculum and a schedule with teaching time, I'd say it is a preschool.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 26, 2008

La Petitie is a daycare that has a preschool program. We usually reserve preschools for programs that only accept 3-5 year olds and have a structured learning program that is designed specifically for school readiness.

9. missteacher23

missteacher23 Rookie

Jun 26, 2008

wow thanks everybody this really clarified my confusion. thanks alot!

10. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2008

I think you'll find that most daycare centers, especially chains, have a preschool component for at least part of the day for the 3, 4 and 5 year olds.

The way I differentiate between preschool and daycare in my mind (although I know this isn't always the case) is that daycares usually have full day care and have naps in the afternoons, but straight preschools are usually half day, no naps. Daycare also has much longer operating hours, too, to accomodate the work schedules of the parents. I'm sure there are lots of exceptions to that - but here, that is mainly the case.
    Kim

11. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Jul 5, 2008

I teach in a chain, but they stress the fact that they are NOT a daycare. I personally don't like the word "daycare". I didn't spend 5 years going to college to be a daycare worker. I have and will always be a preschool teacher. No matter where I work.

12. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 5, 2008

I agree, as a family home child care provider I constantly face challenges explaining to the stay at home mom's why I am not one of them, and to the preschool teachers that I am a lot more like them than they would imagine.

Naeyc's ideals are not specific to 1/2 programs. "preschool" can happen whenever and where ever you make it happen.

What you can do in a 1/2 program doesn't get lost just because it is a full day program. It remains in how you teach and what the children are allowed to experience.

For instance on the ECERS (for centers) I was able in to in the home score a 6, on the FDCERS-R a 6.8 and on the ITERS I was way above half even though it wasn't a dedicated infant area. I realize that the scales are supposed to be only used in the facilities that are designed for that goal-but I wondered if there was something in the other areas that was unable to be captured in mine. What I learned was it came down to relationships and how you relate to the children. I agree, you don't go to college for so long and expend so much money just to be a "daycare worker".

13. UFgal1

UFgal1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008

My daughter attends La Petite during the school year, she is in the 2 year old room. I believe La Petite takes on more of a preschool style. My daughter has a curriculum that changes every 2 weeks. She has learned about transportation, backyard animals etc...

14. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 6, 2008

It is precisely this unclear division that creates the uncertainty in the ECE "non-system." Pre-school programs are programs for 3-5 year-olds, whether they are full- or half-day.

15. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 6, 2008

Fair enough MsWK.* But in much of the current literature I don't remember reading that I am not a part of the ECE world.* I remember reading that it is the inability for the two sects to come to an understanding as to what the goals are and who should/would work towards them.* So, my question is- Does the entire population of the students of the building need to fall between the ages of 3 and 5?* Can you have a preschool sect and another group.* Or does the act of having enrollees of other ages detract from the title?

16. hatima

hatima Devotee

Jul 7, 2008

A memeber of my family worked for that company and they had the word Academy after their name. They charge an extra fee to support the "curriculum" which the Director never provided. They were always way over ratio, (teacher to student). This family member was constantly left with way to many childern from the threes to the fifth graders. She stated her concern. The coorperate office did not care, niether did the state.

I truely hope the La Petite in Texas is not as overly conserned with personal awards as the Director of the one I was refering to

17. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 7, 2008

I'm not sure the age group you're with, but ECE is 0-8. If you're within that range, then you're ECE.

What two sects?

Well, sure, anyone can call anything a "preschool." In general, a preschool is a program with a curriculum designed for 3-5 years olds. My program, for example, serves children 0-K. Only the 3s and 4s are preschoolers.

18. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 7, 2008

The two sects are the care group and the preschool group. Here, in my area, the discussions between those two groups are strained at best. That is what I was seeing the current publications on the ECE "non system" subject.

We serve 0-8yrs mostly. There are some older siblings that run around until 12yrs if they can't be left alone for delayed reasons. However, the bulk of our groups are 3-5yrs.

I am happy to hear that serving other groups didn't detract from the "preschool" for the 3-5's.

thank you for your explainations.

19. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 8, 2008

I had to giggle at the term "prniciple"..... At our preschool, we have a director but the kids all think she is the priniciple! Haa haa! Little do they know, she used to be one, so she surely meets those quidelines!

20. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

I recently left the early childhood profession to teach 4th. I too, dislike the term "daycare"...I take care of children not day's!

Preschool can also be used to define an age (typically those that fall in 3-5), for our state accreditation department there are forms for preschool programs (programs that serve that age group regardless of the curriculum programming they may or may not do.)

21. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Jul 8, 2008

I don't think it matters what the sign says or what people say. I run my classroom the way that I want to and they don't like it ... I run my room just like a kindergarten room. I want to make sure that everyone is well prepared for the rigors of kindergarten. I feel it is my responsibility to give them the tools that they need in order for them to succeed.
    Texas i 48th in childcare licensing out of 50!!! How sad is that?

22. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

Everything you wanted to know about preschool...

ECH - Early Childhood Education... field for pre-teachers - BS degree
    CFS - Child and Family Studies.. AA degree or Liberal Arts school
    preschool - a school that teaches children from ages 3-5
    childcare center - may teach or care for children from 0-12
    babysitting - watching children in your home
    AKA... home child care provider
    day care - AKA child care that cares for children from 0-12. Should be separated by age group. Should be. Most school agers are before and after school only, until holidays and breaks. Then everyone is there. Ugh.

child care academy - fancy name for day care
    day care - child care - Are you still with me??

church or faith based center - child care/day care with some bible lessons. Most parents are members of church. Teachers may or may not be certified. May or not be Head Start programs.

State Pre-K - A state funded program that is housed in an elementary school. Usually requiring certified teachers in ECH
    follows same schedule and salary as other teachers.

Head Start - Federally funded program for at risk (not necessarily by race or income) families and their children. Provides child care, nuturtion, health screenings and other services to help families. Must fall under poverty guidelines. That would be all of us without jobs. However, anyone with a 4 or more kids automatically qualifies :crosseyed

Master Pre-K... that would be me. :rolleyes:
    A teacher who is certified by state that serves as the Lead Teacher in a Head Start/State Pre-K or Pre-K program, which recieves some type of funding. Program requires a curriculum that follows NAEYC standards, and focuses developmentally appropriate practices. DAP

Free-flow program - othewise known as college child care lab. Where children can play freely, and teachers are monitor their care and learning. They can eat, play and nap if they choose. Also serves as a learning environment for student teachers. Known as a lab or bubble as it usually has two-way mirror so students and workshop attendees can observe program without entering class.

Montessorri/Reggio Emilla

Specialized programs that focus on the child and the parent. Teachers provide scaffolding or building on knowledge child has discovered. Reggio is highly focused on art. Montessori focuses on real life, child-sized items.

Must be trained in Montesorri program to teach in these schools.

feel free to jump in and add, correct as necessary...
    we are all teachers here.. :love:

23. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

also please note...

all of the above could contain.....

three meals a day
    field trips
    foriegn languages
    computers
    naps
    direct instruction
    NO instruction
    fees
    no fees
    late fees
    certified teachers
    non-certified teachers
    aides with child care training
    aides with ECH courses
    directors and family members
    entire families, with no training! :eek:
    kitchen on site
    catered meals
    cots or sheets or sleeping pad
    laundry room
    play yard
    park near by
    use of school playground
    separate playground exclusively for pre-k only
    some sp. ed. students
    Little or no training in sp. ed. by teachers
    separate class for sp. ed with certified sp. ed teacher
    year round program
    10 month program
    school year program
    356 day program... :|

:unsure:

your biggest concern is certification, license standards and ratio

Many childcare/day care/child care centers are more lenient, and lax when it comes to ratio. And that is the biggest issue, IMO.

Lots of burnout
    Turnover
    People who were there when first brick was laid
    People who are related
    People who refuse to do anything new
    People who are great and love everthing new
    People who stay forever
    People who get their feet wet and move on to primary/elementary
    People who become directors/owners

24. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 14, 2008

One clarification please

wow that is descriptive. I appreciate the fact that you ask us to jump in/correct where necessary.

I think you have done a fine job. I was just needing to say (and I know that you knew it was coming)....that "babysitting" is done by teens and friends often, but Family Home Child Care requires many of the same WAC's as Centers in some areas. 80 pages of codes plus heavy state encouragement of degrees in ECE isn't the same as "babysitting" from teen/friends.

I am ok being AKA for child care if need be. I am not happy about it, but ok. But please don't put those of us who aren't complacent in with the "baby sitters". We are written about in NAEYC issues and we have our own accrediation and so on. Please, not the same as teens.

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2008

point made... well received...

baby sitters vs child care providers

baby sitters can be 12 to 70 years old, with little no training. To my knowledge, no certification is required. It is a verbal agreement.
    Usually students, friends, neighbors, people who know you and you trust, and you can trust in your home, or leave your children with them. Some people advertise their services.

Child care providers are licensed, trainined professionals who may have home day care or visit children in their homes. Their homes are inspected and certified. AKA nannies..au pairs. Some providers care for children from 0 to 12 years. Usually families stick with same provider for all their children, and recommend them to friends and family. Some offer transportation for school as well.

In my personal experience... good parents need 3 types of sitters..

Paid sitters
    Free sitters
    Sick sitters

You must always pay your pay sitters. Bad feelings come too easily, and its hard to keep good people. They need to eat. Tell them up front if you can't pay, and try to make arrangements.

Free sitters are insulted if you try to pay them anything. Food is considered a gift. They like you and your child. They don't want anything.

Sick sitters are lifesavers. Grandparents, and other relatives fall under this category. They are old enough and comfortable enough to keep your sick child, and won't worry about rashes or the flu or the common cold spreading to anyone in their home. Sick sitters are usually free.

Some hospitals offer this business as a service to working parents. A hospital room is provided for mild to moderate care. Kids get three meals, and regular checks, so you don't have to keep calling to see if they are getting worse...they will call you, and...if necessary, they can call doctor and start lab work if needed!

Babysitters and home child care providers are more sensitive and likely to keep your sick child. Schools and centers can't afford to do so. There policy is usually to send child home at once.

IMO, many centers are lax about not sending home sick children. Despite the best practices, illness spread quickly when a sick child is allowed to stay. Biggest problem with child care centers besides turnover, is safety issues with childhood illness, ringworm, pink eye, scabbies, colds and stomach flu.

Many sick teachers refuse to stay home, because they don't get sick days. :unsure:

Many child care centers do not have benefits. Chains are more likely to have benefits. Public schools offer same benefits to preschool teachers. Home child care providers have their own insurance.

26. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2008

not to monopolize...but a sticky situation occurs when teachers are asked to babysit children from their class. The rule is, if you work for a center, the director feels that this is moonlighting, and if anything happens, the parents can sue the school. Parents and teachers feel that they know each other, and just trying to help one another out.

27. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

...and all of the terms can be different depending upon what state you are in.

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2008

when it's all said and done...

If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands!

29. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

Master Pre-K, do you want to come work for me?

30. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

I worked at a place that was called ACADEMY. (not La Petite, La Petite will not highe

I worked at a place that was called ACADEMY. (not La Petite, La Petite will not higher me!) Needless to say I left the place. :D

31. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

La Petite will not higher me. I have interview at a few locations and even sent my resume to there corporate offices.

32. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2008

When can I start????

33. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Jul 15, 2008

My children have gone to La Petite (I had no choice for before and after school care). There was no curriculum. The children just ran around playing for the most part and were given a snack. Their teachers were all young- still in college- making an extra buck. Most of them were not education majors. I am sure it may be different at the actual center.

34. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2008

35. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 16, 2008

Is it a Head Start lead/mentor teacher position? Looks like what they sound like here.

Just wondered.

I am sure you will do fine, you really know your way around the issues. I also appreciate that you take comment well. All of those things make a good employee as well.

You are the person that was just being hired by places for the naeyc type walk through right? and then let go?

I hope you will just stay and stay here.