Is July still an active hiring month?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by John Lee, Jul 2, 2013.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 2, 2013

I feel like we've reached a point where, if you haven't found a job yet, you probably aren't going to. It feels like the 2-minute warning in a football game. The optimist in me wants to believe that schools are still working on their staffing needs at this point (early July) in the summer. The realist in me figures that schools that have already been out a few weeks, have already finalized those needs.

3. Boopers

Boopers Rookie

Jul 2, 2013

I got hired in July! I know at my campus there are still some people leaving and my P will have to fill their positions ASAP. Stay positive!

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 2, 2013

We just had a position open up yesterday because one of our teachers got a new job.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2013

It really depends on the area. In NC, I feel most hiring happens in July and August. In Michigan, it used to be March and April, with some happening early May. Now I feel it is more May and June. My friend seems to think that due to budgets and the fiscal year, many more positions will be posted soon around here (MI). We'll see.

6. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jul 2, 2013

I was told I would get more hours after July 4. We shall see.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2013

My district hires all summer. They normally fill almost 200 jobs each year and it takes a while to do that.

8. curiouslystrong

curiouslystrong Companion

Jul 2, 2013

Where I'm at, at least, the hiring process is slow (though not nonexistent) during July, but it really picks up during August. A lot of positions do open up at the last minute.

For what it's worth, I didn't have any interviews last July (though I had two in late June), and I had a bunch in August. I did go to a couple of job fairs in July, though, and this year so far I've had a phone interview and I've got an in-person interview set up for next Tuesday. I think July is a big month for vacations, and there's always the holiday over the 4th to contend with, which I think contributes to less hiring activity for the month.

In sum, I think that there's plenty of time left.

9. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jul 2, 2013

Around here, the hiring is done mostly May/June, and then August/early Sept. Some of the larger districts wait until the very last minute to do hiring because they're not sure of enrollment numbers, budgets, etc.

10. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 2, 2013

In my district, it's slow during July because everyone is on vacation. Things start moving in warp speed in August. Don't give up yet, I got hired two weeks before school started!

11. My3kloves

My3kloves Rookie

Jul 2, 2013

the hiring is mostly done here in TX in June. Jobs posted online in July are slim to none. I think most take the month of July off and then come back for last minute hires in August. So my time is nearly out for a teacher job. I am hired for a TA position though. I just am trying for a teacher position first.

12. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jul 2, 2013

I'm in a huge district and we're going through a lot of budget changes this summer... Our vacancies haven't even been posted yet for next year!

13. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jul 2, 2013

Don't give up just yet, anything can happen. I had lost all hope of getting a job and was offered a position 4 days before school started.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2013

Still hiring...

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2013

When do schools start by you John? We won't go back until after Labor Day so hiring does appen here in early July. Many office staff/administrators take some vacation days in July or August so they like to wrap things up before they go though. Yesterday, July 1, was the beginning of our new contract year...anyone who was leaving should have notified by yesterday, definitely no later than Friay this week, so potentially there's still some openins coming up around here...I got hired in early August when I first moved to NJ...There's still hope!

are you now a part time teacher, Milsey?

16. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2013

It does slow a bit In July here, but that's because the Ps take their vacation.

August, on the other hand, is a frenzy of hiring.

17. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 2, 2013

My district hired me in July of last year. Most of the interviews I have been on have been in July or August, but school here doesn't start until Sept.

18. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 2, 2013

I'm sure like others have said, it depends on the area. However, I just got hired a few weeks ago and this was the earliest I've ever been hired! For my first job, I didn't even get my first interview until the middle of July and was hired 2 weeks before school started. For my second position I had, I again, did not get calls for interviews until July again, and actually didn't even get hired until the middle of September! I usually have gotten most of my calls for interviews end of July and August.

19. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 2, 2013

During the summers I've interviewed they have almost all been in July and August. I can only recall one June interview.

20. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 2, 2013

I was hired the 3rd week in July last year and I just talked to a P today that posted 3 openings at her school.

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2013

I know that there are at least 2 positions still unfilled at my new school; I anticipate those will be posted and filled in July.

22. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 2, 2013

That is encouraging.

czacza, the district I'm targeting got out of school three weeks ago (this week will make a month). They'll be starting up in late August.

Question: Does anyone (here in CA) know about anything upcoming that effectively waives school districts from automatically referring to a "Rehire list" (RIF'd teachers)? I was talking to a teacher in one of my districts earlier this year, and he mentioned how this hiring season would be good for me, in that whatever stipulation makes districts have to rehire, will expire. But then I've heard too, that it doesn't actually expire until September 30 (something like that). So it doesn't "help me"... until presumably the next hiring season. :(

That is my big roadblock, and the big roadblock for all "new teachers"... that backlog of teachers on rehire lists (not hating on them, just speaking practically). Thanks so far for the replies all. :thumb:

23. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 2, 2013

I've always seen this: if there are openings, the schools try to get it all done in June. In July the office is gone, P is gone, etc. New contract year starts July 1st, so they want to get all of that done.
    But then in early August when they're getting their enrollment, etc, there are often surprises and they have to move things around and hire teachers. For the past 2-3 years when I was looking at jobs (even just out of curiosity) I've always seen a surge of job postings in August and September.

I think teachers who got pink slipped don't just sit around and wait to get rehired, many of them are actively looking for jobs. So if the schools want to rehire them, they actually have to hire new people. So there is hope, even if it's not that obvious in July.

24. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2013

Most of the hiring is done in July here-and school starts in July. They wait until the last second.

25. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 2, 2013

I think it depends on location. We have filled everything, and usually have by now.

26. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 2, 2013

We are still hiring in our district. In fact, a couple of new positions will be posted next week. Hiring definitely happens throughout the summer.

27. LifetimeLearner

LifetimeLearner Rookie

Jul 2, 2013

I am hoping that the middle of July will bring a flurry of activity. There are lots of jobs open -- to which I've applied -- but no calls and no activity on them (all still marked 'active')...so I'm hoping that everyone, like the last P I interviewed with mentioned, is on vacation until Mid-July.

I am really nervous about not being hired until the last minute as I'm a 1st year teacher and don't have lesson planning under my belt yet. Is there anything we can do to prepare? It's hard not knowing what grade you might be teaching at all!

28. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Jul 3, 2013

The district I'd love to teach in just posted 4 elementary jobs and another posted 4 yesterday. Both are small districts, only 7 elementary schools between them.

Guess I'll be handing out packets Monday. :)

29. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

All of my offers have come in August if it makes you feel any better :) So yes, it's still hiring season around here!

30. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

Why wait until Monday? ;)

31. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Jul 3, 2013

Schools are closed this week or I'd be going today!

32. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 3, 2013

I had a thread about this but I don't think you responded on there. May I ask what you included in your packets and how you presented them to the school (via envelope, report cover, etc.)

33. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2013

I think what is keeping me sane us that a teacher friend told me that more openings tend to show near the beginning of school year! Sounds contradictory but you never know with people. They may renege, spouses may need to relocate forcing the newly hired teacher to resign, so on and so forth.....

34. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2013

My district is still actively hiring, although July tends to be a little slower because that's when the 11-month employees are off. It definitely picks back up in August. We also get a lot of new hires in the end of September through October once we have our actual enrollment data.

35. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 3, 2013

They're behind here, and so July is the main hiring month in our district.

36. mathteacher2

mathteacher2 Rookie

Jul 3, 2013

When I got hired for my first job, it was the end of July. This year it was the beginning of July (yesterday!), but hiring is definitely just picking up now by me. I went a whole month without hearing a word, and suddenly since last week I have had calls from 5 different school districts. The position I was just offered was from a late retirement - she didn't want all the hassle of retirement parties and such so she waited to give her notice until the very end.

In the district where I used to work, they had a history teacher just give notice on the last day of school (he was waiting to officially sign his contract at his new school), and a technology teacher suddenly leave to go teach at the college level (after school was already over). New openings are popping up every day. Then again, this is NJ and school doesn't start until after labor day, so I can't speak for everywhere.

37. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Jul 4, 2013

I was a very last minute hire for my current position, which was due to a last minute resignation - I hadn't even applied for the position but did apply for a different job at the same school earlier that summer, and they kept my resume on file. This was just a couple of weeks before school started in my area - don't give up!

38. LifetimeLearner

LifetimeLearner Rookie

Jul 4, 2013

If you get hired at the last minute or even days or a month into the school year due to enrollment, how does it work with lesson-planning? That's the part I'm nervous about, plus the fact that I'd like to decorate my classroom and get organized before jumping in (as a first year). Anyone?

39. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2013

It has been my experience that if you get hired after the school year begins, the P will give you a couple of days to set up your room and get ready to go. Most team members will help you with lesson plans to get you familiar with the curriculum and where the students are.
    Either way, don't worry about getting your room completely decorated. Just get a few things up and have the children help finish things. Most of what I hang up is student work.

Take some deep breaths when you get that offer and then prioritize what needs to get done first...

40. LifetimeLearner

LifetimeLearner Rookie

Jul 4, 2013

Great advice, thank you! :)

41. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jul 4, 2013

Well, I didn't get extra hours after all the blather about a bunch of new students enrolling..