Is it wrong to verbally accept an offer, but continue interviewing within the district?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Ohb, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Ohb

Ohb New Member

Jun 15, 2021

I’m new to the teaching profession and recently accepted my first offer! I’m excited about even securing a position as I have no experience! It’s position at a title 1 school that has a middle of the road reputation. Immediately after hanging up the phone, I received a call from a significantly better school in the same district offering me an interview later in the week.
    Ethically, it doesn’t feel great to continue to interview after accepting an offer, but I know things fall through all the time. Is it a bad look to continue interviewing within the district after verbally accepting an offer or is it common practice in the education field?

miss-m likes this.
  3. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Jun 15, 2021

Interview until you sign a contract. A lot can happen before that and you don’t want to miss out on opportunities.

miss-m likes this.
  4. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Jun 15, 2021

This. It's not a job until you sign a contract; it's just an offer. People back out of verbal offers fairly regularly when something better/preferable comes up.

5. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2021

Verbal offers are rescinded by schools (and companies) at times with no recourse. However, there is always the chance that you burn a bridge when you accept and back out. Most times not, but it can happen.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 15, 2021

I normally would agree to continue interviewing until you sign a contract, but since these two schools are in the same district, I think I would let the second school know you have already accepted an offer. Principals talk, and you don’t want to burn bridges before you start.