Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by VANewbie, Aug 8, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 8, 2011

To buy your own personal color printer and laminator for your home use?

We only have one color printer in our school that hardly works and someone is always using the laminator.

Would you buy them..or have you bought them?

It would be nice to these at home to work on things on my own time. But then I think how much stuff do I really need to print and laminate.

Plus the cost of ink and replacement laminate.

Thoughts?

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 8, 2011

I have a printer. I couldn't imagine not having one. I do not laminate enough to need a laminator, but if I had stayed in elementary I probably would have bought one.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2011

I think if I taught 1st or 2nd it would definitely be worth it. But teaching 6th, I don't need either enough.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2011

We have a color printer/scanner at home just for our personal use. Had we known how expensive the ink cartridges are and how often they need to be replaced, we never would have bought it. The ink cartridges aren't even the ones that can be refilled at Office Max or wherever. It blows. :(

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2011

I don't think a laminator is worth it. However, I don't generally have a problem with lots of people trying to use the laminator at school.

I do have my own color printer and it's definitely worth it. I just got a cheap one from walmart- 30 bucks for the printer (came with ink) and to replace both black/color inks is about 30 bucks total. I only have to replace every 5-6 months or so. It's just nice to be able to print a quick thing at home if I need to rather than always having to go to school.

7. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 8, 2011

I have a color printer that someone bought me 2 years ago that I never used. The problem is it did not come with a cord to hook up to my computer and there is not a disk to use with it.
    It was brand new but nothing was in the box.
    :(

Wish I could use it. Guess I may buy another one and wait on the laminator.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 8, 2011

If you are in 1st or 2nd, you will WANT that laminator! It is arund $30 at Walmart, and the best quality and price laminating sheets are available on Amazon. I could not have made it without both my printers AND my laminator the past two years!

9. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 8, 2011

I thought about buying a color laser printer, but then when I saw the prices and replacement toner costs I changed my mind! I have a black and white laser printer, which works fine for me. If you print a lot of color, an ink-jet is probably your best bet cost-wise.

I'm not sure what the prices are for laminating machines! We have an ancient one at school, but it's rarely used.

10. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

I have this laminator and LOVE it: http://www.bjs.com/scotch-tl901-9-t...mil-maximum-document-thickness.product.129203

Yes, it is totally worth it. Quite a few of my fellow teachers have this laminator as well. We're able to get materials laminated at school, but for smaller things (like for station materials and game pieces) I like using mine since it's a lot sturdier.

Fortunately I have a color laser printer in my classroom; I have a color printer at home, but I rarely use it.

11. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

I have a color printer, I couldn't have survived through college without it! I used to use it constantly, but I do have a color printer in my room at school so now I don't use it as often.

I do not have a laminator, since I feel that I can always find a time to laminate. Even if I stay late in the evening to do so I will, because I'd rather do it for free at the school rather than paying for it myself.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 8, 2011

If you find that you print & laminate that much & the machines at school never work or always occupied, then it's worth buying for home. I would!

13. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 8, 2011

I have a colored printer for my personal use as well as a cold laminator. I wait to print to the color printer at school as I don't print off a lot in color nor do I laminate very much. For what I do laminate, I just wait until the laminator is available. So for me, it wouldn't pay to purchase those items. But, it might be the right choice for you for the peace of mind and convenience.

14. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 8, 2011

Hmmm a lot to think about. I think I will pass on the laminator. I could always just stay late or make it a job for a parent to do.

Still thinking about the printer.

15. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

VANewbie,

If you have the printer without an installation disk you buy a USB cable (to hook it to your computer) and then do a Google search for the printer driver-Google "HP DeskJet F4480 driver". Use the quotes and it should take you directly to the link to download the driver. If you install the driver your printer should work.

I have done this on my school computer to add a personal printer after I upgraded to a wireless printer at home.

16. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2011

I'm with Caesar about the sheer cost of ink for a color printer. I spent over $50 just on ink last week. But we don't have one at school, and sometimes I need things in color.

I don't think I'd buy a laminator... we have a nice one at school, but our copy lady doesn't let teachers use it (and each time she's laminated for me, it's been bubbly). I always have to wait until she goes home & turn it on again.

17. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Aug 9, 2011

I bought a color printer because we don't have access to one at school. I laminate everything at school. I'd rather wait in line than buy a laminator and lamination film. You could check the teacher stores in your area and see how much they charge for lamination. It may be less expensive than buying your own in the long run.

18. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 9, 2011

I would say yes to the pinrter too. I use it all all all the time at school, and the kids like to print in color as well.

19. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 9, 2011

I can't let my kiddos print - it costs too much for ink, and I have a Canon inkjet (my school district only supplies ink for HPs). Actually, I print very little in color. I have a black & white laser printer (at home & at work), and I print most things on that. If I want color (for my focus boards, etc.) I print on colored paper, then laminate.

Quite often, our school laminator is broken or out of film. I tend to have our title 1 aide (she runs the laminator and the risograph) laminate things like 2-pocket folders and posters and such that are too large for my personal laminator.

20. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 9, 2011

I have to buy ink for my printer at school anyway, so I may as well have one at home where it's more convenient.

21. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 9, 2011

I'm a computer geek, so I have an inkjet (Epson) at home as well! The laserjet at school belongs to the school district, but I have a Brother lj at home. That way, whether I'm at home or at school, I have the tools I need, lol!

22. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 9, 2011

I do not have a laminator. I just use the one at school if I need to, which isn't too often. I do have a color printer. I have been thinking about getting a new printer and getting one where the ink isnt so spendy.

23. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 9, 2011

Tell me more!!! :woot:
    I'm getting more and more excited. Does it matter what kind of computer you have when you buy the USB cable?

Also I'm thinking...do all printers have usb cables? Maybe this one did not come with one because it did not have one?

24. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

Most printers nowadays use USB cables. It's pretty easy to see the USB port on the printer to know for sure. The cables are very inexpensive and universal, so any one you buy should fit both your computer and your printer as long as you get the correct "ends" (there are different ends, so be careful to check). I'd go buy a $10 USB cable before I bought a new printer.

25. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 9, 2011

I couldn't live without my printer. The ink IS expensive but I like the convenience of my printer. My husband buys ink in bulk online and sometimes saves as much as 50% by doing it this way.

26. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 9, 2011

Good to know. Can't wait to figure this out.

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 9, 2011

Any printer you'd have been given in the last five years is certain to have a USB cable. (Even wireless printers take USB cables.) What you want is something like the one shown here: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Belkin-6-Foot-Gold-USB-Cable/4660735.

If you can locate the printer model number (which you'll need anyway to figure out what ink you need), you should be able to download a new driver without having the installation CD. Google the make and model - for instance, "HP Photosmart 2575" - and you should see a link to the printer manufacturer's Web site.

28. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 9, 2011

Thanks teachergroupie. I'm going to try to figure this out tonight.

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 9, 2011

My ink usage dropped radically when I started using the Draft or Fast Draft setting to print. In your print dialog, go to the menu for print and/or paper quality. You can even set up a profile with all your preferences - or different profiles for different printers, if you work with more than one.

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 9, 2011

VANewbie, if the printer hasn't been used for two years, the ink in the cartridges may have deteriorated - so if print quality is terrible, don't be alarmed: it may just mean that you need new cartridges.

31. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 9, 2011

Someone bought it for me in 2009 I think and I never even opened the box until last year. Then I realized what I was missing and stuffed it in my closet.
    The ink was brand new. I put it in the printer but never used it.

32. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

The problem with our ink/printer is that the ink seems to dry up or something. We print very infrequently, maybe a page or two every month, if that. But every six months or so, the printer gives us an error message that says we need to replace the ink cartridges. It won't print at all. It's very frustrating to print so little and have to replace our ink so frequently anyway, especially when the ink is so expensive (seriously, like $60-80 every time).

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 9, 2011

If you installed the ink cartridges two years ago, the ink in them may still have deteriorated, VANewbie - in more or less the same way that crackers go stale once the bag's opened. The point is that it MIGHT happen, and that if it does, it doesn't mean that something's wrong with the printer itself.

Caesar, I can only guess that the ink may be somewhat volatile. You're in fairly dry country, so you might try either covering the printer between uses or even popping the cartridges into plastic bags between uses.

34. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

Unfortunately, we've tried that. I think we just made the wrong choice when we bought our printer. :(

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 9, 2011

My sympathies.

36. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 9, 2011

I have an all-in-one print/copy/scan machine at home. I very, very rarely use it for work, though. The ink is too expensive. I'm not footing the bill unless it's for my personal use.

The only things I laminate are usually posters or other large items. I never laminate small stuff, so I wouldn't use one.

37. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

We don't have a colour printer at work. We did get a colour copier last year, but it's in the office and we really aren't supposed to use it. I have a colour printer at home (an all-in-one), but I don't print a lot in colour; the ink is way too expensive! I wouldn't get rid of it though because we do need it for some things. I don't laminate much at all. We don't have laminators in the schools, but we can go to a central office and laminate ourselves or send things out. There is a small cost involved that comes out of our grade level budget.

38. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 9, 2011

I guess I found al the information for my printer. Apparently printers nowadays do not come with a usb cord. You have to purchase them separately.
    I'm going out to buy one tomorrow and tonight Im going to try to download the software.

Excited!!

39. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Aug 9, 2011

Wait to download the driver until you have the USB cord. Plug the printer into the computer and then install the driver. It will go much faster that way.

It is soooo worth setting your printing to fast print or draft. This setting is great for most things you need to print. (Once you install the printer right click on it and go to the printing short cuts or paper/quality tab. Change the setting from normal to fast or fast draft and save this option. )

As a prek teacher I print lots of things in color all year as we can’t read yet! I don't use fast draft to print photos on photo paper but I do for everything else. Including the photos I print on regular paper.
    Also if the ink has been sitting in the cartridge a long time without being used it might help to take a wet nap and wipe off the dried ink on the cartridge (wipe only where the ink comes onto the paper).

40. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 9, 2011

Ok. I will wait until I get the cord.

My only concern now is the ink. I will wipe it like you suggest. Seriously I tried to work the printer last year, could not find the usb cord and left it. I opened the ink, stuck it in the printer and NEVER used it. I hope its not all down the drain.

41. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 11, 2011

I went out to get the cord today and I did not see anywhere that had cords for $5. Not even walmart. Where are they?