Is it worth it to rent furniture or buy

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, Jun 11, 2018.

1. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Jun 14, 2018

I am searching wayfair and they have some amazing deals on furniture I may reconsider the furniture on credit

2. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Jun 14, 2018

The problem about wayfair that I may have to wait awhile before the furniture comes in so that means I may have to sleep on my air mattress until my bed come in or have an empty apartment until the couches come in

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2018

Just like a messy desk as a teacher: sometimes you have to make it worse before it can get better.

I slept on cushions from a couch on the floor for a few days before being able to get a mattress. I slept on a couch for a couple weeks, too. Neither were ideal (and yes, I know you don't have a couch - but insert "air mattress" for what I said), but I made it work for the short term, knowing I had a long term plan coming up.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 14, 2018

We gave away a bunch of pieces when we got married. DH and I had each been homeowners for 20+ years before we married, so we had two complete houses full of furniture. Plus, DH had inherited his late wife’s stuff because they had bought the house where she was raised, and a lot of their stuff was still there.

As we combined households, we gave away so much stuff. We took a lot to Goodwill, but we posted a lot to FB to give away to anyone who wanted it. We just wanted it gone.

There are many options besides renting.

5. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jun 15, 2018

I am in the process of moving as well. The cheapest movers I could find is $375 for 2 men for 2 hours and that is just to load the truck! I'm moving out of state, so I have to find movers in my new state to unload it. The prices are outrageous. I have found that a lot of places have a $400-500 minimum.
    I wouldnt suggest hiring college or high school kids because if they get hurt you are responsible. If you do, maybe have them sign a waiver.

Personally I would sell what you have and use that money to buy new furniture.

TeacherCuriousExplore likes this.
  6. CherryOak

CherryOak Comrade

Jun 15, 2018

I once had a one bedroom apartment with a TV and stand from Goodwill, antenna, yard chair from the dollar store, desk from my youth, and a mattress on a frame. That's it! No table, couch, etc. The world didn't end. I would do it again before renting furniture or swiping a credit card. Pay with cash. It's the quickest route to financial freedom. Just like the gym - no pain, no gain.

TeacherCuriousExplore and a2z like this.
  7. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2018

I would never ever get a loan on furniture through a store or putting it on a CC I wasn't paying off that month. It is financial suicide. It is better to do without than to be in debt over something that will be worth nothing once you bring it home.

Now, there have been those "credit" offers where if you pay it off before a certain date there is no interest. But I never recommend that to anyone who has had any financial problems or doesn't have the money in the bank, set aside, and enough to not have to worry about not having it when the time is due.

8. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2018

Yes. That is true. It is also common for people to have to do without for a while.

However, I also caution based on your other posts that you don't buy if you can't afford it. Do without as much as you can and buy it when you can pay cash or immediately pay off the card you might have to put it on to purchase on-line. Do not go in debt for furniture.

9. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2018

What does this mean?

10. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jun 15, 2018

I agree with you EXCEPT pay with credit and pay off the credit card IMMEDIATELY to take advantage of the free money with cash rewards.

ChildWhisperer and CherryOak like this.